[8.90.3] The 10-bit parameter remains blocked

Hello,
First of all, thanks for the great work of the devs ! I do not know if this behavior was planned, so I’ll let you know.

Trouble ; for simplicity :

1. When I start an HDR video, the colors automatically change to 10 bits. :slight_smile:
  2. I stop the film and return to the interface, the colors remain locked on 10 bits. :confused:
  3. I run a SDR movie, the colors are always in 10 bits. So saturated colors.
  4. I go to the display settings and reset the setting to 8 bits. But nothing changes!
  5. I have to restart Kodi so that finally the colors become “normal” again (8 bits). :frowning:

I have to repeat the same operation. A reboot is necessary each time I switch from HDR film to SDR movie. A horror. :sweat_smile:

I want to clarify, that on the 8.90.2 version, the HDR to SDR change automatically worked perfectly. The colors were those expected. (On LG oled 2017) :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

For the rest, this version 8.90.3 seems more stable. Highly 8.90.4 !! :smile:

Merci.

It does say when changing the setting at the bottom of the screen that a reboot is required, it also states in the changelog that this will be made automatic in the future.

Unfortunately the changes introduced where the better of the 2 evils as without them there was flickering and banding issues.

1 Like

If you have a HDR TV, you have to set your GUI resolution to 1080P and enable automatic resolution switch, then set Color Depth to 444,10bit in the CoreELEC settings.

This will ensure that the TV will not remain in BT.2020 mode once the playback stops.

• The only potential issue would then be with 4K non-HDR material. In such a case, you’ll have to switch Color Depth manually back to 444,8bit before you start playback.
1 Like

Thank you,
Arf it’s boring. So, we will wait with great impatience the V 8.90.4. Thank you guys.

It would be nice to have a 10-bit HDR interface.

What do you mean 10-bit HDR interface? You can’t simply switch HDR on, and even if you could, you’d need a new skin to take advantage of that. You’d also have to consider different TVs with different capabilities.
tl;dr: It’s very difficult to impossible to create a HDR UI that will work well for everyone.

IMO - a HDR interface is a terrible idea.
There is no need for your display to be running in HDR mode for non HDR content.

1 Like

of course, would need HDR Skins. The field of possibilities would be larger for artists. No problem, a button on / off HDR in the settings …

Feel free to suggest that feature to the Kodi team.

1 Like

It’s already done.

Do you have an estimate date for the HDR Automatic Switch? Thanking you warmly.

We don’t have an estimate yet, but even if/when it’s implemented, it will be for video only.
I don’t know whether it’s possible to force the SoC into HDR mode manually or not.

1 Like

only for the video, it’s already not bad, it’s the most important at first. I can not wait, because it is essential! Thank you very much.

There is no date. It’ll happen when it happens.

1 Like

I do not know about others, but for me, without that, the box is unusable. That’s why, I think it would have been relevant to integrate the new engine only when the auto mode was ready. This is not a destructive criticism, but a constructive criticism. You do a great job. Maybe when an update offers a “known” backward look on some functions, it would be interesting not to do an automatic update.

What do you think ?

You can disable automatic updates, and update manually if you see that the new version offers features that you want. I don’t think it’s feasible nor makes sense to try and add “selective” automatic updates.

I understand that you have good intentions, and that you really want this feature added, and we’re working on it. But you have to understand, it requires a lot of work and testing on the kernel side of things. It’s not easy and it’s very time consuming. Since there are other, more pressing issues to deal with, and also having a full time job and a life, asking whether there’s new development on this feature every day won’t make it appear any sooner.
When we have this functionality implemented, it will be announced, and possibly a test version will be uploaded so it can be tested before it goes into a new final release.

1 Like

I totally understand and let you work quietly. Thanking you for your clear and respectful answers.

Good Luck.

This will not be addressed in 8.90.4 and there is really no ETA on it.

I had hoped to make changing the CS/CD setting in CE-settings not require a reboot but I just haven’t had time to look at this, it’s not high on the priority list either.

1 Like

It’s a shame not to make it a priority because it’s an unexpected backtrack for the user. This is quite disabling I think. Too bad, we will be patient, and wish you good luck.
Thank you for your work.

@Bindou none of us get paid this, I have a full time job, family and social life to maintain outside of CE as do the other CE devs and that takes priority.

I’m sorry you find this a backtrack but the majority of our users do not own HDR sets with a peak brightness output of over 1000nits to even display HDR properly judging by the lack of comments on this issue, the changes introduced fixed flickering for a number of people which was a far more pressing issue.

1 Like

Do not make me say what I did not say. It is obvious to me that your private and professional life is a priority. When I say, “pity that this is not a priority”, I want to talk about the prioritization of the correction list. It’s a little annoying to be spoken as a newborn. You know, I fight every day against productivism. So go at your own pace, do what you want, it’s not me who will tell you the opposite. I just wanted to express myself around CE as a user, nothing more. I speak on behalf of a dozen people who know nothing about it, but who like me are annoyed with that. But it’s absolutely not serious, the priority is the health of all and the brain time available for his family and friends.

Good continuation.