[SOLVED] A95X MAX S905X2 cannot boot CE

CE cannot boot on this device. Never ever.

Ok, thx! Then it’s not related to the new cfgload feature! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I will take a look next week. I guess there is a “security” check of the Linux kernel what fails…

Hello,
Could you please tell me how to build the CE image, debug it and retrieve the logs from the box? I have the A95X F2 and I’m a C++ software engineer. May be I can help if I could get the basics.
Thanks

The box was flashed with atvX_v3A_A95XMAX.img
After that he tried to run armbian
Armbian _5.91_Aml-g12_Debian_buster_default_5.2.0-rc7_desktop_20190708.img works

CoreELEC still cannot boot:

CE did something on the emmc, because it needed to wipe data/cache to start android again.

He also tried LE:

Boot is OK
There is sound and video usb mouse works.

Any idea why only CE cannot start but anything else can?

Bad Linux ARM64 Image magic!

For ARM64 kernel images, try using the “booti” command instead of “bootm” in config.ini

First 4MB of mmcblk0 and 1, fw_printenv booting LE:

The box can boot CE with @Portisch’s modified cfgload (the second):
Removed by Portisch as it is already included in the nightly.

Does this mean we’re any closer to getting a CE build?
balbes150 is dissing you guys on the libreelec forum…quote ‘Coreelec are using an outdated and not compatible with other new systems technology’ :crazy_face:

Balbes is not a reliable information source…
With the second cfgload from the attached tar.gz you can boot CE on this box.

ok thanks, probably above my pay grade but I’ll have a ‘mess’…
which image do I need for s905x2? ‘normal’ or ‘ng’?

You need -ng.

thanks
just updated my old s905x box - wow that RED theme is a bit horny :heart_eyes::rofl:

And…IT WORKS! well done chaps :+1:
I used the device tree for ‘s905x2 4g’ the one for ‘4g with 1g network’ didn’t work (even though it has 1gig network supposedly) but I’m using wireless so…
anyway, never say never @Pelican :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I knew the bootloader wasn’t locked all along :crazy_face:

1 Like

I am a bit lost.
I wrote the last nightly build (CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-9.1-nightly_20190824-Generic.img.gz which contains the updated cfgload if I am not mistaken) to my USB.
I also added the dummy.zip to the USB and I renamed the s905x2 4g dtb to dtb.img and moved to the root of the COREELEC partition.
After that I plugged in the USB and from the Android I started a manual update with the dummy.zip
I arrived into a menu where I could switch between boot into system or boot into bootloader but it just simply did not work. (With the boot into system option it booted to the Android system, with the boot into bootloader option it got stuck with the A95X Max logo).
Do I have to flash the box with atvX_v3A_A95XMAX.img before doing these or I am good with the original Android? What I am doing wrong? I also tried out with several USB ports.

Thanks for your help’

dunno what this dummy.zip is!!!???
I took the cfgload file from the cfgload.tar.gz file that pelican posted, the one in folder number 2…
I think I’ve since hosed by box messing around with copying libreelec to the mmc then overwriting the dtb.img with the wrong file :sob: That’s what happens when you try to be a smart ass but hey it booted really fast when using the internal mmc :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Dummy.zip is an empty zip file which you can use to enforce the box to boot coreelec.
So how did you manage to restart the box and start with coreelec?

‘toothpick method’ or in my case stick a skinny screwdriver in the AV port, depress the reset button, power cord in, hold the reset button for 10 seconds or so, chocks away!!!

When I did this I arrived into a menu with black background and white menu elements. What should I do from here?

not sure what that is…post a pic…
with mine I got the A95X boot splash briefly then after a few more seconds the coreelec logo came up…the new horny one with the red design…then it just loads kodi…
I should add that the ‘toothpick method’ only needs to be done for the first boot, after that it just boots from the usb drive…

Not exactly like this, because mine is A95X MAX, but something like this.

From your picture it looks like you have Rockchip and not Amlogic box… This is a reason