Bad Hearing subtitle / Teletext ? How To?

Yes its the best but there is no any soft to do that… tsMuxer mkvtool nor vidcoder do not see the sub so I can not extract it ! This is the first thing I did unfortunately…

For now the more easiest solution I found was to use Handbrake (VidCoder) to convert the movie to MP4 (H265 NVEnc) and tell it to add the CC as Subtitle… = A little fastidious but it work Or using VLC or MPV if you have an android TV :cold_face:

There is NO solution other than that or around that because Kodi is totally blind to CC subtitles which is sad for all bad hearing people

If you were using your personal files, then the solution is easy don’t put cea608 in mkv containers. Everyone assumed you were using PVR which the most common source for this tyep.

A simple remux that might work would be ffmpeg -i filename.mkv -c copy -c:s copy filename.ts

However Kodi has never been that good with cea608 captioning but Omega has some changes coming which could improve things. You may want to work with the dev to make sure mkv files are supported.

Until then CCExtractor does create an srt file direclty from an mkv that is probably your best bet if you want a gui. If not ffmpeg can also create an srt file for you

ffmpeg -f lavfi -i "movie=filename[out0+subcc]" -map s output.srt

Thank you for all this precious infos… ffmpeg do not work. it create a movie.ts but without CC for Kodi (CE)

I will try CCExtractor but it need more focus than ffmpeg before using…

As I posted you will need to create an issue with Kodi if you hope to get the cea608 in your sample working, to avoid the srt file creation. Follow the steps here Issues · xbmc/xbmc · GitHub.

The remux does works and players that don’t understand cea608 in mkv can play it, Kodi still has issues that will need to be resolved.

Yes thanks but I’m not sure its an issue… I cannot believe that this aspect has not been considered by the Kodi team … I mean I think they have deliberately left this as is.
Kodi does not read the CCs in the MKV or some that’s it that’s all …at least until they were badly hearing themselves :hear_no_evil:
For now I use Handbrake (VidCoder) to convert the movie to MP4 (H265 NVEnc) and tell it to add the CC as Subtitle its fast / easy and perfect or my android TV with VLC or mpv player

It’s up to you what you want to, but please don’t complain about the lack of cea608 support in Kodi. It is a community project and it needs community involvement and people work at what is important to them. This is not a trivial change and it requires changes to Kodi and to ffmpeg

I told you I’m pretty sure they have deliberately left this as is for commercial reason or other consideration but yes I will share this issue with them to see what happen. Thanks so much for your help anyway.

janolino, so you do this movies with subtitles included yourself? Then just include subtitles as separate stream? I think this is supported.

@vpeter cea608 subtitles are embedded in the video stream. As I posted ccextactor does create a srt he could use with his mkv file.

@emveepee thanks but Good luck with CCExtractor … .its not usefull software for common people

@vpeter not me… the movie is available as is for bad hearing people with decoder …I did not include any CC myself but I found a way to encode the CC from the movie to a mp4 stream that CE can see…

Start CCExtractorGUI, drag and drop the mkv file and then click start on the last tab on the right. It will create the srt file with the mkv file.

I did tried CCExtractor yesterday and didn’t do anything. It started to work and then stopped immediately.

1 Like

Do that and you will just get an empty srt file

Going by the time (4 seconds) there could be something wrong with how you did the drag an drop. If not maybe try a current newer version?

the new one is worse… it give only empty srt… .there is no thousand drag and drop ways just one drag and drop lol

You said the first one gave you an empty srt. Try 0.88 that is what I happened it have here.

OooooO Yessss OoooooO thank you … 0.88 work good … I never think my build is a crap and last 0.94 build too

i confirm CCextractor 0.88 work fine I get the sub strange unaligned but there

They are terrible closed captions, they don’t even try the match words in the french dialogue.

Yes but they help.

I do not mark as “solution” because this have nothing to do with KODI/CE and CC but you helped to find a very simple way.

For the bad hearing people this and VidCoder are our friends for now until KODI team come bad hearing and fix the devil hole lol

WARNING

There is a virus detected by ClamWin Open Source AV in CCExtractor 0.88

And ClamWin detect ALL . its serious