Best device for Coreelec in 2022/2023

The old platforms can still be used with Kodi Leia. But if some third party change anything it will not be fixed anymore. Like some “big” addons like Netflix addon already stopped support for Kodi Leia.

Just search the internet and you will find out G12*, SM1 are the newer Amlogic platforms. GXL(S905X, S905W, …) is right now working but it’s also possible it will be EOL when Amlogic release the new Kernel version, we don’t know as we have not seen the new Kernel yet. GXB (S905), GXM (S912) is already EOL (at least for third party systems like CoreELEC).

So S905X2, S922X, S905X3 should be save for now and for the next time range.

1 Like

4K at 60Hz is already possible with CE. For long time. I just don’t understand why you want 4K at 120Hz out of the sudden.
And I disagree about the GUI. I use mostly yatse and avoid the media center GUI as much ad possible.

He wants it, because it´s not possible, it’s not really necessary to use the GUI with 120Hz or more.

WTF…? My time on GUI is about 0.1% to 99.9% watching/listening to sources my media center was acquired for. Don’t give a fuck for GUI performance, as it’s important to me the same as (re)boot time…

What a great idea, to compare a 100$ device with a 1000$ one; you are obviously very smart to do such a great comparison.

1 Like

A smartphone with a screen refreshed at 120hz is now priced at 450 €. Remove the screen, the sensors, and the battery, and the case should drop to $ 150.

You probably don’t have a lot of kids. :smiley:
he search engine built into Kodi is not at all practical, so the Scroll can take a long time. ^^

It is not necessary to use a TV …
aren’t you tired of talking about me ?

2 Likes

Well we can all stay friendly here. No need to start a fight. I genuinely want to know Bindou’s motivation

2 Likes

I think maybe you are mistaken remote response to GUI scrolling. I highly doubt that 60FPS 4K is slower scrolling than 120FPS one. Even on phones (which btw is not 4K) you get a smoother scrolling not a faster one.

“4K at 60Hz is already possible with CE. For a long time. I just don’t understand why you want 4K at 120Hz all of a sudden.
And I don’t agree on the GUI. I mainly use yatse and avoid the media center GUI as much as possible.”

Yes it is possible. This is precisely why the question that seems to bother is: which chip can keep the framerate close to 60hz. (With 4k interface, “and HD covers”)
The S922x is starting to age a bit (±40fps GUI Kodi). So I wondered if there was better. :frowning:

120fps is the new standard for 2021 panels (HDMi 2.1 port). This is the best for showing movement. But I will do without for now. 60 FPS was already very good.

am I clearer? (English is not the native language)

Understood. But imo not necessary. GPU currently is not powerful enough. Maybe in the next generation.

1 Like

Who knows? Right now it’s not possible but we never know what’s coming in the next few years. All the devs try to offer the best possible package, in a a stable way. People trust CoreELEC to do the core thing that’s playing the available media correctly. Let’s see.

1 Like

“Even on phones (which btw isn’t 4K) you get smoother scrolling, not faster.”
Fluidity is the number of images per second. Thus, the more there is image, the more it is possible to scroll quickly, without jerking and without blurring. For example in Kodi, with 120 Hz, you could go down the list of covers without having to stop (it would remain readable at a suitable speed). This is why the 120hz standard is being established on smartphones. It is adapted to the usual scrolling speed 1000px / s)

Fluidity is not speed. You can scroll in the same speed and your kids should not bother any jerky picture.

Yes, but the maximum readable speed depends on the fluidity and the sharpness. (I don’t know how to put it better, sorry). It does not matter. 60fps is already great. I can’t wait for a new chip to come out.

I can honor the excitement. Stay tuned.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure we’ve been over it 1-2 years ago, when you last brought this topic up.
The suggestion I gave you last time still stands. Build an X86 machine, throw in an AMD RX6x00 or NVIDIA GTX30x0 video card, and then you can spend all day long scrolling through Kodi GUI at 4K@120Hz, at max FPS.

/thread

1 Like

But this box won’t be able to do proper HDR not to mention Dolby Vision. Which gets me back to my original point: Video Playback slams GUI performance. Period!

1 Like

Thanks,
That’s what I have in another room, and that’s exactly why I know how much better. But I cannot dedicate such material for Basic use.
All this for 50% more performance needed. I’m sure a low power chip will be released soon. Full support for HDMI2.1 specifics should be the occasion.

Many of you despise the importance of this aspect of ergonomics. I think when you get a taste of a true smooth HD interface, you too will have a hard time going back.

1 Like

We were sure about it last time, and it wasn’t.
Also, I don’t think that the Kodi UI was really designed to provide any benefit at over 60Hz, but who knows? Different skins may behave differently, too.
Phones use completely different SoCs, with different built-in GPUs. So your comparison is valid, but irrelevant.
High-ish end phones use ARM cores that are 3-4 generations ahead of what we currently have with Amlogic. I don’t see that changing any time soon. [just guessing here:] Perhaps the S922X successor will be based on A75, but even if that happens, it will still be several generations behind. Same goes for their GPUs.

2 Likes