Best device for Coreelec in 2022/2023

This Box Amlogic S905 X4 will fit for CoreELEC?

H96 Max X4

No, not yet.

Once we are able to support devices that contain an S905X4 SoC we will make a post about it, and make it clear as to which specific devices have been tested and are known to work with CoreELEC

The developers get excited about new devices too, and are looking forward to getting our hands on the new devices, and adding support for them when we can. So we will definitely be letting the users know when this happens.

However until that point in time that we make an announcement about supporting these devices, try to be patient (maybe watch a few more reviews, bonus points if you can find a review that actually makes a point of actually making an intentional demonstrating the new features, or that doesn’t make any gross errors. :grinning: )

We will try our best at supporting what we can, however it’s best to assume that new stuff is not supported, and may not be supported until we make a post stating otherwise. We would hate to see anybody spend their money on a device assuming it will eventually be supported, to only find out later that the manufacture had done something that prevented anything but the android that came on it from working on the device, or for example source code for an important driver such as for the WiFi/BT chip are just not available.

3 Likes

I use a vim3 pro on a Panasonic TX-65HZ2000B which is a 120hz panel. with over 100 4K remux movies on external drives I see absolutely no stuttering or slowdown of the gui at all using coreelec, I can’t fault it! Not sure what if any noticeable improvements any future hardware could bring to the gui or why It would be a selling point. There’s always going to be better hardware In the pipeline, you will be waiting forever if your constantly wanting the next gen tech.

I’ve happily used an Odroid-C2 for a while. I’m happy with the speed, but want don’t want to be left behind as far as software goes. Would you recommend something? Perhaps a chipset that you think will be supported a long time? Or something that will be able to keep up with new features? I don’t need the fastest, but while I’m upgrading I don’t want to get the slowest either.

If you use the C2 I recommend it’s successor C4. I use it as my daily driver and I also have the N2+.

Another c4 fan here, plenty ram, fast enough for all current video needs and lots od usb3 ports . Can’t go far wrong as using one on each TV, and something beefier for server needs but it’s still fine for sonarr etc.

I would choose a device licensed for Dolby Vision. I am sure that Coreelec devs will do DV.
Ugoos AM6 plus or Minix NEO U22-XJ .
This is the future.

Dolby Vision has special licenses so I doubt it will ever come to CE.

Shoog

Some dolby vision mkv become available.
It seems it’s working with Kodi on Android:

1. Is it going to be available for CoreELEC?
  2. What about devices without DV support, is tonemapping working with DV mkv?

Thanks.

You probably do not display your covers in HD … The initial definition is bad. It compresses the image of the covers, aliasing and blurring the program. I found a compromise that respects the quality of the covers, without affecting the framerate too much:

But it lacks some FPS from time to time depending on the skin you use.

Skin is not even required. If you have a huge collection you are just wasting your time scrolling through it. It’s better to use Yatse, it will still give you the covers on your HD phone or tablet and you can easier find stuff.

2 Likes

I know Yatse, but I don’t have a tablet. I prefer the idea of choosing a family film with a common visual on the TV, rather than a smartphone.
But I will be patient without any problem. It was just additional information.

By the way, does anyone know, if Kodi 19 improves the display of covers?

I think the problem is GPU performance. You are a picky user in this area. I don’t judge btw, your opinion is a valuable as anyones. I doubt that Matrix will improve it much for you my friend.

What device are you use again?

1 Like

Khadas Vim3 Pro

(Thank you for your considerations)

ok I will wait for S1002X8 lol as for now my S912 work very well

I recently asked which tvbox hardware is best for corelec, and a guy named ‘Ray’ closed my post instantly with this answer:

"… No. And also please search the forum;
https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/best-device-for-coreelec-in-2021 … "

Beside the small information I obtained,
looking at the link result, it seems only a sort of chat between people and their opinion
about boxes. Nice, but not what i am looking for.

My question would be now, why is there not a list of guaranteed supported tv boxes, on the support site with an 2021 updated top list containing : brand, type, status, known issues etc etc.

It is the most logical question isn’t it Ray?
“I want to buy a quality box for coreelec, which one will I take?”

That said, what about this one?:
Himedia-Q30 4K HDR10

As per 1st sentence of coreelec.org, CoreELEC is for “Amlogic hardware”. The Himedia-Q30 box is not Amlogic-based.

Odroid N2(+) gets my vote, but what do I know.

If you read this topic you’ll find some answers, as Ray said but I’ll give you some:

with S922x/A311d - Odroid H2+, Vim3 Pro, GT King, Minix U22-XJ (DV support in android);
S905X3 - VIM3L, Odroid C4.

This are the top contenders. When searching for a device and if you want to use CoreELEC, please make sure it’s an Amlogic one.

1 Like

These are the top contenders of the CoreElec Supporters. That’s okay to promote them, since they support the cause. Doesn’t mean that a cheap 30 buck generic S905x3 box doesn’t get the job done.

1 Like