Best device for Coreelec in 2022/2023

Don’t know how C4 handles the AV-1 software decoding… if doesn’t burn the little plate, the future looks bright! By the way, where I can find something about AV-1 software decoding? I mean Kodi / Linux related.

Im struggling to decide which box to get, i want a future proof option ideally with dolby vision support. I see three s922x variants (s922x, s922xh, s922xj) but have no idea what the differences between them are? I read the odroid n2+ may never offer dolby vision support.

I could also forget about correlec and go with the shield pro or even wait for the new shields that will likely come out later this year.

Minix U22 (s922xj)
Ugoos AM6 plus (s922xj)
Beelink GT King pro (s922xh)
Odroid N2+ (s922x)
Shield Pro 2019/21

Stick to Android dark side if you crave for DV support. Maybe in Kodi 21 things will settle as software decoding (I hope), maybe not. Look how Netflix 1080p / 4k it is still an issue in Linux platforms.

1 Like

If I forget about dv, what would the answer be… N2+?

C4 budget wise. N2+ give a bit more power if you need it.

1 Like

The more I read the more I feel the DV thing it not so important. N2+ it is

DV might never work. If HK had DV support we might be able to support it because they would get us the library I am sure. All the box vendors so far are reluctant to join the development.

Both are but the thing is DV now its for online streaming (Netflix, Amazon, Disney…). If you have a TV from 2019-2020 with Android TV or WEBOS, it is enough for now. Not too mainstream but you have a source of DV material for now.
If you want jeOS things like… ELEC to work now with DV you are asking too much too early.

I wouldn’t hold my breath, even if hardkernel would obtain the library. Since it would come with a buttload of NDAs.

From my experience with HK I think it would be different but they won’t do DV. It’s too much costs.

A guy in the makemkv forum said that ugoos told him that there is no 64 bit Dolby vision kernel module because the SDK is only 32 bit.

Whilst Dolby Vision is nice to have and looks good, its mostly placebo. My TV supports all HDR formats, HDR10+ and DV, and as such ive watched content utilising all formats. Truth is, whilst DV has the “potential” to display 12bit and is authored at 4000nits, its all a load of bs because no TV can display it as such yet, its all tone mapped down to say 700-800nits which is where a lot of non-professional panels sit. As such, the real world difference is minimal between a HDR10,10+ and a DV title, because the extra potential detail is mostly lost anyway. Basicaly, its mostly just an obsession for people to see the DV logo when they start a title. As such, the N2+ is still the best device, HDR10/10+ support and runs flawlessly.

The c4 I’d say is a clear winner cost and performance wise. There’s nothing it won’t play and it has plenty of ram to run some extra services if you want.

With DV the tone mapping is more accurate, but all-in-all, with TVs today capable of doing their own tone mapping on normal HDR10 material, I don’t see having DV support in CE as extremely important, but more as a “nice-to-have” feature.

please add “nice-to-have” feature in CE.thanks developer.

You would be the coolest if you made that happen!!

Nice-to-have-features start at 10 Monero coins or same amount in Bitcoin. Depends on what nice to have feature you want.

3 Likes

Community build still on the table?

Is there a specific reason why Ugoos is not mentioned? the AM6 Plus? The X3 ? Do they have any particular problems? On another topic on the kodi forum (I believe) they mentioned the Ugoos AM6 Plus in priority before other S922 boxes (Beelink, Minix).

Of course there’s a clear reason. They don’t support CoreELEC. And most of the team doesn’t own one so we can’t guarantee full support. And last version had the bootloader locked

2 Likes