Best device for Coreelec in 2022/2023

None, and when we would have a “NDA” we would not be allowed to speak about it anyway :rofl:

Semiconductor development is On-Hold because of COVID. And what I heard it will be problematic till end of 2022.

Here have 4 S912 boxes running and have not had any issues with these boxes except that I cannot run CoreELEC 19.1 Matrix on them.

I am looking to update these boxes to the following “el cheapo” Amazon S905X3 Quad-core 4GB.

Will this box run CoreELEC 19.1 Matix?

Amazon listed: Magicsee Android 9.0 N5 Max TV Box Amlogic S905X3 Quad-core 4GB 32GB Dual WiFi 2.4G 5Ghz Bluetooth 4.1 8K 4K HD Smart Android Box for $49.99 USD.

Will these boxes work for me?

The Topic is about the best not the cheapest device for CoreELEC. You will have to do some research if it works. Just search the forum.

Thanks Ray.

[googling NDA…] :wink:
Edit Ah…

It would perhaps be really helpful for many to create something like a “recommendation list” according to classes (upper, middle, low budget), which however includes the devices for which new versions of Coreelec will be developed at least for a certain period of time.

1 Like

Low budget is never recommended.
Odroids or Khadas can be recommended. Get at least a S905X3. Odroid C4 is imo the best budget device for CoreELEC.
But as stated already a lot of devices work with CoreELEC, do a search on the forum if you spot a device you want to buy. If you can’t find any information don’t buy it and don’t ask if it will work. If you buy it and it works good for you.

1 Like

I bought the X96 Air 4Ram / 64Rom, CoreELEC installed in its internal memory works fine. Disadvantages of this device that heats up and must be used disassembled or with an additional mini fan. For those who are going to buy it, keep in mind that the remote control that it brings is small and bad, better a second remote control or use the CEE HDMI television control. I do not know if it will be the best device for CoreELEC 19 but if it is the most economical in value for money.

Buying recommended stuff its healthy for your budget and metal health. Really! After buying Semtex from HK, I’m annoyed because its working and its just working, no more DIY…30 euro/gbp/usd its an interesting lottery - price for a weird Chinese box. But I don’t wanna gamble anymore when I can just sit and watch without worries.

The X96 Airs seem to have been the most consistently reliable cheap boxes out there. Not really heard any complaints - apart from heat issues which plague all the bottom rung boxes equally.

Shoog

I went this route and while it was fun, i 100% agree with you there.
Love how cool the N2 design is. Literally and figuratively :wink:

1 Like

The debate will run forever because a subset of folks will never come to terms with paying a bit more for the certainty of having super hardware. I own something that keeps itself cool no matter what I do to it and does everything I want of it very well. Won’t say what I’ve got cause if you own one you know and so many have already said so. If you doubt those who’ve gone before, good look on your search for the ultimate 14 quid device. Rant over.

3 Likes

Hi I´m using Coreelec on a TX9s (S912) and I understand that I will not be able to install this 19.2 version. Which box will you recommend me to play H265 and 4k HDR content? The cheapest the best.THanks

I am not a fan of cheapest. Sometimes you pay twice :wink: Take the for example the Odroid N2 2GB and you are good to go. Runs at my Home in two places (CoreElec and one N2+ with EmuELEC) and never regret the buy.

One of the newest is this one:

But it’s “only” S905Y2. But i was able to run Amazon VOD without any issue. But it was only 400p as it’s widevine limited.

Repeat this every time someone asks. No one I have seen has had issues with using the X96Air. Seems to be the most generic and uniform box out there in the cheap as chips range. The only caveat is that they run hot and benefit from some modest thermal mods.

Shoog

2 Likes

This question was asked and answered several times. Radxa Zero is the best cheapest currently.

With that said, it doesn’t have an ethernet connection. This means that you will be limited to wifi only or have to get a USB (USB-C) Ethernet adapter

it supposed to be cheap so…