Best device for Coreelec in 2022/2023

Yeah, I just thought it’s an important thing to note. Some people may just blindly buy it and then be disappointed.

2 Likes

Hi

I have an Odroid C2 that I have been using a media center with LibreElec and later CoreElec, but it is old and the HDMI is giving up. It gets overheated and the signal randomly gets lost until I give it a break. So I want to buy a new device that will act only as media center with LibreElec. What I need:

• 4k HDR support (it will be connected to a Samsung Q80R).
  • Gigabit ethernet, no storage will be attached (source is a local Jellyfin server plus Youtube and other streaming, but no Netflix or any other DRM streming service).
  • No need for DRM, no Netflix or similar (as mentioned above)
  • Interested in lowest power consumption, specially when idle.

I was partial to the rPi 4b because of popularity, but after reading it does not support VP9 hardware decoding, it was a no go, specially because Goolag favors it and I use Youtube. Reading the Wiki, it seems the Amlogic’s S905X2 (and 3 although unnecesary) and S922X are the best candidates. Plus they have better idle power consumption than the rPi4b. Apreciate any other chipset suggestion.

I am familiar with Odroid, so for the price it seems the Odroid C4 fits the best for my needs. The problem is the Odroid C4 is out of stock and with the supply issues going around, it is uncertain when it will be available. The N2+ is available with 2Gb of RAM but not with 4Gb. I know 2Gb should work fine atm, but I plan on adding addons and experience has shown me that being generous with RAM is wise.

I would like to know:

1. Any disadvantage of the S905X3 over the S922X for my usecase? Same for the Odroid C4 over the N2+?

2. Is there any other chipset/device that fits my needs and I have missed that might also help me deal with the supply issues?

3. This is more of a Odroid question, but why do the C4 and N2+ have HDMI 2.0 when the S905X3 and S922X support HDMI 2.1?

Thanks

2G is more than enough. If you wanna upgrade go with the N2+. It’s the best. There is no AML device available that can do full HDMI 2.1. C4 and N2+ are similar in that regard.

1 Like

Hi,

I m looking for a box android for CoreElec.
My choice is X96Max Plus Ultra ; is it good choice ?

is there another good box for CoreElec, with RJ45, SD card port.

thank you

Lots to read in this thread
Of course best is official supported Device CoreELEC

From wiki will see

Max Plus Ultra is S905X4?

Will probly be okay for cheap non official supported Box

Like HK1 RBOX X4 S905X4

Maybe type in search see if any other user’s have success

Happy Testing

HI all,

Have an old S912 device running CoreELEC 9.2.8 and an Odroid N2+ running CoreELEC NG 20.1 both of which seem to now be unsupported by the main branch of CoreELEC.

What is the best device to get to be supported by the main branch of CoreELEC going forward, something with DV support, or is it to early?

you can get Dune Homatics 4k Plus to DV

Does the Khadas Vim 3L play large H.265/HDR10bits files smoothly?

As much as I’m tempted to buy the homatics.its quite a downgrade in performance compared to my odroid n2,comon hard kernel where the n2 replacement

I am currently considering upgrading my trusty X96Air.

What I need is :

• 4K hdr10+
  • 1gb Ethernet as I have ac2200 and never had better speeds on it than with cable
  • HD sound (atmos/Dts-ma/trueHD) passthrough
  • Speed on the interface, as sometimes the X96 is sluggish. This is important as all of the previous I got with X96Air

No need for Dolby Vision support.
(For reference Nvidia shields do not support HDR+ and cube gen3 only 100mbps)

Price is not a problem.
I would like to continue using coreelec so -ne support would be nice

I have a gt king II but it does not do (yet) hd audio so I’m selling it .

What would you recommend ?
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks awesome community and CoreElec Team

Performance is alot better with storage on emmc.

I am using emmc on x96air

My trusty old odroid c4 does all that without problem.

I am a bit lost here. The thread title says “Best device for Coreelec in 2022/2023” yet the majority of the discussion happened two and half year ago.
Where would I find some information about the best devices for Coreelec in 2023, if there are any? And by best I mean it works A-Ok and it is not at the EOL, or end of support.

IMO the Homatics Box R 4K Plus. Assuming your TV supports all HDR formats including DV and HDR10+. It also runs the NE version of Corelec. If it had an SD slot it’d be perfect.

But it depends on your use case. My N2+ was excellent but doesn’t run NE and doesn’t support DV.

How fast is the interface with 4 widgets ?
Does it support hd audio: trueHD and dts-ma ?

Pass through works for all audio. Dunno about widgets I don’t use them.

1 Like

Depends of the widgets. If you set 4 widgets of local library it is blazing fast but if you want some widgets with prohibited addons I’m telling you better buy shield for it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Does not support hdr10+