Booting the Android box

Hello to all you people, and thank you for accepting me!

Trying to create a microSD CoreELEC card for my MXIII-G Android box. (It was widely sold by thousants during 2016-17 . I never had a broblem with it, not even overheating problem. It was the most succesful and firmly working box of that time).

1. I have no idea witch Amlogic Processor i should look for in the list , since my box is not in it.
  2. As mentioned in the instrucions, a toothpick on the reset button could be used. Wouldn’t this action Flash or even Factory Reset the box? I don’t want to lose the files and set up of my box.
  3. Can i have the box booted from the CoreELEC card , when i just want to use Kodi?
1 Like

For what I saw yours is a S812 device, a pretty old soc so it’s not supported by CoreELEC. You need to upgrade your hardware.

1 Like

Amlogic S812 devices are unsupported by CoreELEC. You will require at minimum a S905X. LibreELEC would work on an S812 box, but you’d be stuck with Kodi 17.x . Different Team to so we would be unable to support you.

1 Like

Thank you so much for caring!
So i will try with an S905X. What about my questions (2) & (3) when i do that ?

No, you won’t loose your data from Android and yes, you can run from uSD just to use CE/Kodi. In this case you have to plug/unplug uSD or boot always to CE and then choose “reboot from emmc/nand”.

2 Likes

If you are interested in the science behind it:

Using the “toothpick method” sends the TV-Box to Android Recovery Mode.
Another method is to execute “reboot /update” from the Android Terminal.

Both work with CoreELEC and neither method should erase data or factory reset a device.

Yes, and as Vascobraga already mentioned in his reply, there are a couple different methods of achieving this.

Again a bit more information here:

One method involves removing or inserting the external medium (CoreELEC card) as needed before powering on the device, another is to always boot into CoreELEC from the external medium, then use the ‘reboot to eMMC’ option from the power menu.

Running CoreELEC from an external medium offers a non-intrusive way of running and testing CoreELEC.

With a compatible unsupported CoreELEC-ng device, one even can have CoreELEC and Android co-exist on eMMC with the ability to dual boot between them.

Caution is suggested when manipulating a device at this level. Creating a backup and having the ability to restore the firmware are pretty much mandatory requirements before attempting these kind of installations.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.