Buffering problem and advice on potential hardware upgrade

Does the PCI to SATA bridge mean I’ll also have to purchase different storage to replace my USB hard drive?

Good point, as it takes bare sata drives.

Inside your USB drives are bare sata drives. What port type are they ?

I have no clue. It’s a Toshiba Canvio external USB 3.0 hard drive.

Here is a discussion of the issues regarding SATA vs USB3

https://www.quora.com/Is-SATA-3-cable-always-faster-than-USB-3

The issues are in your case:
-is the USB port USB3 and able to deliver its full performance ? If it is then there is probably only slight advantage to moving to a SATA port. However latency when multiple processes are using the same disk at the same time will be a factor and here the SATA port will win out.
-is the LAN port gigabit and is it coupled to any other port which will compete for bandwidth. Not all of the cheaper Android boxes have full speed gigabit LAN ports and spending on a good brand will ensure that you get what the advertising claims.

So your old s905x box will have a 100mb LAN and a slow USB2 port which will make it totally unsuitable for your use case. The Nvidia probably has USB3 and gigabit LAN which makes it suitable but not a long term stable solution due to software support.

A SBC such as one of the Odroids or Khadas VIMs has the best chance of stable and reliable software support going forward, they will also have the best chance of having optimized port hardware for the needed performance. The VIM3L or Odroid C4 or HC2 are affordable and well supported boards which will do the job. The VIM3 and the N2/+ will have extra processing power which means that they will have a better chance of been able to perform multiple tasks in parallel as you load more functions onto your server. They also have server OS implementations such as debian or Ubuntu which makes them ideally suited to been versatile fully featured servers - something that none of the Android boxes can offer.

Hope that helps.

Shoog

1 Like

Yes, the Shield has USB3 and gigabit LAN, and I think that is why it doesn’t have the buffering problems.

It seems USB3 would be more than sufficient at recording 4 channels while watching a recording. My understanding is that each 1080i stream requires ~20 Mbps. And Gigabit ethernet should be able to handle that also. I think that was just too much for USB2 and 100M LAN.

That is why I’m considering the Ugoos X3 Cube. Ugoos seems to be reasonable quality with a decent reputation and actually has firmware that supports dual boot into CoreELEC. I can get a Ugoos X3 Cube to my door for $57 USD. The other boxes seem to be more once you put everything together and add shipping. While the others may be better the X3 Cube appears to be good enough to be a good Tvheadend server.

The $ 57 Ugoos X3 Cube has 2gb ram.
It works with 5v2a.
In the long run I would recommend Odroid-C4 running on 12v 2a with 4gb ram.
In the future, 2gb ram may not be enough.

edit:
The Ugoos X3 Cube is a very good Android box. I definitely recommend it among Android boxes.

Are You sure ?
Running KODI on CE will work the next few years using 2Gb RAM
Maybe in five or more years 2Gb is no longer enough, nobody knows.

You are right, what I wanted to point out was different.
I meant for Linux server operating systems.
When the need arises to expand or change the area of use, it will be useful.

If You want to use Linux Server operations, use a Linux server OS like RedHat, Suse etc. and X86 hardware.
Plan B would be raspberry pi running raspbian.

Using some of this cheap amlogic boxes to run a Linux server ?
I say No

The openmediabox crowd are quite excited about the hc2 as a cheap server. Server duties are not CPU intensive (unless you try to transcoded). The Ethernet and disk interface are the limits and this is where a cheap android box will crap out big time. Exactly the scenario our user is complaining about - go figure that he want to stick to android shit.

Shoog

This is the main problem.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.