CE v8.90.5 905X Bug

Hello together, i have no problems before, but after the update to v8.90.5 i found some bugs 1st time sofar.

My Hardware
Bqeel M9Cmax / Amlogic 905X SOC, 2GB Ram - 16GB Rom.
Hartinstalled (on rom) v8.90.5 the 905 version.
Autoupdates 3 times since rom install. (nice function btw)

Bugs!

1. After the boot, on the Kodi mainscreen sometimes comes an error message like no connection to updateserver or so, thinks it needs more delay time for Wlan, after the start. i test after this message Youtube and it works. Updatecheck to fast?

2. Options/CoreElec/About, the screen is empty and it hangs, go to a other screen like system not helps, its empty too, you need to press often / ten times on “back” to go out from CoreElec, back to the option section, after this the speed/reaction of the box gone back normal. This Problem was never before x.x.x.4 etc. only by the newst version.

I love coreelec :slight_smile: thx for this and your great work!!

greetz Hagal

Title is a little misleading, 8.90.5 bugs? maybe

The first bug is actually already fixed for the next version by enabling ‘wait for network before starting kodi’ in CE-settings. You are right in that it is a race condition but as soon as the network connection is active it restarts the remote communication server anyway so there is no issue for the end user other than the message.

As for the second bug report there is a delay whilst wireless networks are scanned, this is normal behaviour.

Thanks for reporting the issue.

1 Like

Ofc, to one i see this in a other topic laters.

thank you

Tanix Tx3 mini 2G CE 8.90.5

Addons - CoreElec

Scrolling down and up the list on the left (System, Network, Connections …) initially shows the content of each on the right pane, but the right pane is blank on attempting to view each after the first time.

The detail does show after some time (maybe 20 secs).
I use a mouse to highlight the items on the left pane, in case this has any significance.
It is not possible to leave that page until the items re-populate (it apparently hangs).

I think that this happens when you go over Network, it can sometimes take time for the wireless networks to appear. It stops responding and the right pane remains blank until it finishes retrieving the network list.

I use a wired connection so it is not wireless related.

Try to disable wireless in the first tab, and check again.

TheCoolest

Try to disable wireless in the first tab, and check again.

Ah, yes you are indeed correct.
I had not realised wireless was switched on!

Fixed by de-activating wireless.

So every time the Networks tab is highlighted, the wireless goes looking for connections, and hangs up the add-on?

Maybe that procedure could be changed to a ‘Refresh’ button, to prevent this happening?

or, by default, maybe the system could disable wireless if ethernet is enabled and vice versa?

I thought that was how it was arranged on previous releases, but could not be certain.

I would much prefer a ‘refresh’ option so there is no unnecessary ‘hang’ regardless using wired or wireless.

The trouble is that ‘one man’s fix is another man’s bug’ and, if there was a manual refresh button, there will, undoubtedly, be those that don’'t use / see / know about it, and complain that something is broken. :thinking:

1 Like

Like those with “Calibration image fails” problem :slight_smile:

Yes I know that it is not easy to cover all needs/requirements.

TBH, those few would be easier to deal with than any other scheme proposed so far, including the present one where the whole GUI locks up when the Network entry is highlighted.

The ‘refresh’ could be incorporated into the heading, so that it refreshed only when clicked; or a separate button could be used. Making the ‘button’ obvious should not be difficult, regardless its position.

Disabling wireless when wired is connected is a kludge IMO.
Yes it solves the GUI problem but it removes functionality, which is unnecessary when there are other solutions possible.

But whatever is decided I will live with.
Unless opinions are posted how can the devs know what users think? :wink:

TBH, I don’t quite follow why it is necessary to have WiFi enabled if you have an active eth connection anyhow. Perhaps my usage of these devices is much simpler than others?
Anyway, we’ve drifted into a discussion about a feature request now, so let’s pull it back on topic. :wink:

I don’t see how it’s a kludge? This is the same behaviour in LE and will not be changed, it’s set this way so networks are listed during initial setup.

If you don’t want the hang in the add-on then disable wireless, it’s really quite simple, there is nothing wrong other than peoples pedantrics and being anal and fussy over absolutely nothing, we have more important issues to deal with than this… seriously people?

“adamg, post:15, topic:1077”
I don’t see how it’s a kludge? This is the same behaviour in LE and will not be changed, it’s set this way so networks are listed during initial setup.

OK, so you are dependent on LE for that behaviour. Just because LE does it, does not mean it is optimal or not though.

If you don’t want the hang in the add-on then disable wireless, it’s really quite simple, there is nothing wrong other than peoples pedantrics and being anal and fussy over absolutely nothing, we have more important issues to deal with than this… seriously people?

I have no doubt there are more important things you need to deal with but nobody is clamouring for immediate attention to this.

I do not think it unreasonable, pedantic, anal or fussy to expect both NICs to be able to work at one time, unless it is a hardware limitation. Obviously you disagree.

So we will agree to disagree.

I don’t see under any circumstance what you would need both WLAN and ethernet active for?

This topic has now been hijacked as the op posted 2 issues, 1 which has been fixed and the second which is not a bug but merely how it was designed.