CoreELEC 20.0-Nexus Amlogic-ne Discussion

Anybody got Coreelec running stable on a VIM1s without freezing? With at least a whole day of use without it freezing up on you and having to cut the power off for it to reboot?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Opening another thread will not help to resolve any issues faster.

We are currently working to get the kernel more stable. When we fixed it, it will be in nightly

Thank you for your reply.

I’m back… So I installed the latest nightly like I was told and it still freezes. I figured it’s better if I say something than not say anything at all. Hopefully it will help me and future VIM1s owners.

Logs that I was able to gather after repeated freezes. It got so bad that at one point it would freeze seconds after Kodi would load and didn’t get a chance to upload the logs. I would have to unplug the power to reboot the device.

Logs:

http://ix.io/4mys

http://ix.io/4myt

I see nothing in log. When this happen again do reboot without DC power cut and check if you get a output of: coreelec:debuglogs [CoreELEC Wiki]

But when you get issues on Kodi start it looks like a bad addon installed. So try on another boot media with clean fresh install.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve done everything I could do on my part. Either they sent me a bad unit or I’m over seeing something.

I’ve used CoreELEC on the Le Potato and more recently a S905X4 box. All running CoreELEC fantastic. I’ve been happy with both devices.

The VIM1s has been a disappointment so far. It’s going into a drawer for now.

I’ll put my VIM1S on regular service to check if it freezes.

kswapd0 process is using 20-25% of CPU causing GUI stuttering on Odroid-N2 with Kodi Nexus fresh install.

Total new to ARM related media centers, and the overwhelming variety of hardware and SOCs.

I need to get new hardware, and read through the announcemen which is also pinned on top of this thread. I plan buying a Banana Pi M5 with S905X3.

The announcement now says:

" CoreELEC 20 becomes the active development branch and it is based on CoreELEC 19. With CoreELEC 20 the new device, Amlogic-ne: New Era will get introduced. All devices that support CoreELEC 19 Amlogic-ng will also support CoreELEC 20.0 Amlogic-ng.

Device Amlogic-ng hardware support will end with Amlogic SoC SC2 (S905X4).
Device Amlogic-ne will support hardware since Amlogic SoC SC2 (S905X4) and newer like S4 (S905Y4, S905W2) or T7 (A311D2).
With the release of device Amlogic-ne, Amlogic-ng will be become EOSD."

If I understand it right it says that there will be no software “NG” development after CoreELEC 20. And the successor is LE. And LE only supports SC2, S4 and T7. Does that mean that my planned S905X3 is already out-dated and will pretty soon be not supported anymore?

Sorry if this is clear for everyone else, but I would not want to invest in some deprecated hardware.
Thank you!

Dunno what is investment for you, S905X3 will get also CE21-ng (my bad if I get it wrong), it works now with CE20-ng, so you are covered 4-5 years at least.

Investment? Everything I need to spend money on :slight_smile: It’s not a question on how much I spend, rather than on WHAT I spend. And where the money is better invested. I know that I KODI will not stop to work all of a sudden, but eg there are boards with S905Y4 that are 30% cheaper than S905X3, that’s why I ask if my money is better spent there. What do you think?

I’d get an odroid c4 and get used to all it can do, everything for now at least. Then when the next lot come out on with some hefty differences look for a new box, you’ll likely need a new TV to go with it or there’s not much point paying so much. Or spend twice as much for no difference as a media player and ask the same question in a couple years when you get a new TV and the old box is a stable player, server, whatever else you’ve done with it.

Just to qualify, I’ve had 5 amlogic boxes, oldest being a beelink mini mx. Although it seems sluggish now it can still serve my oldest decent TV all it needs, which is a 55ks7000, a TV at its time, 7 8 years ago was a revelation to me and still is.

Completely wrong!
LE is right now only at Beta, not 20.0 stable. And about Amlogic:
Support for Amlogic S905, S905X/D, and S912 devices resumes
and:
No formal support for newer S905X2/D2/Y2, S905X3, S922X, A311D devices

So don’t think about S905X4/Y4, S905W2 or A311D2, it will never happen!
Sure it boot “mainline” kernel but without hardware decoder support. So useless as media center.

Here you can see all SoC listed and how much they are:
https://wiki.coreelec.org/coreelec:ce_dev_cycle#development_status

But “real” support of hardware by LE is ended at S912.
CoreELEC is already 6 generations ahead and the next one S5 S928X is already on the way…

1 Like

Any update on your VIM1s? Did it freeze on you after all?

When mine freezes I have to do dirty reboots and when I do that, logs aren’t saved. So it’s impossible for me to upload logs for you guys to debug.

Well I never got answer here:

There a about 70 VIM1S running CE right now, so I guess it’s a issue with your config or a used addon.

Really? Hmm.

Why would the same config and add-ons run fine on the HK1 S905X4 though? I know it’s different hardware etc. It’s not that I don’t believe you, just find it odd.

You think I got a bad unit? It freezes if I run it off the emmc or SDCard. Same result.

I’m using it tonight to watch some live tv, personal library and netflix addon. No freezes so far,

Okay thanks for keeping me updated.

I really don’t know what to think now. I have the same config and add-ons running fine on my Le Potato and a HK1 S905X4 box.

I even installed Android on my VIM1S and installed Kodi 20 with the same config and add-ons and haven’t encountered a freeze up.

The lockups I get on my VIM1S reminds me of when I first got my Le Potato and installed CoreELEC years ago and it would freeze if I transferred more than a gigabyte of data. That was eventually fixed though.

Like I mentioned before, I have CoreELEC running on a Le Potato, HK1 S905X4 box, Kodi 20 on a FireTV Stick 4K Max and Kodi 20 on an Onn Android TV box. All running fine.

I was thinking of replacing my Le Potato with the VIM1S but I guess that’s not going to happen anytime soon. I’ll keep testing though.