CoreElec N2 Stopped Working - Cannot Boot

For a backup, you also can use the backup addon in kodi repository… https://youtu.be/lnCLSBk1bMM

found that in discussions and it’s been reported to be unreliable

You do not need an emmc reader to use the emmc, but it makes things much simpler if you have it. I haven’t got one and I managed to load CE onto an SD card and then use this as a pattern to burn the emmc using the Coreelec CEEMMC tool from the running CE on SD card.

However let it be said there are people out there who have been running their systems of SD card for months if not years without any issues and a minimal impact on overall performance.
Its just an unfortunate piece of luck when one fails and lets you down as it did here.

And yes the backup procedure as described is fine.

Shoog

and what is that?
i can run terminal commands from my mac, but have to know how to do that on N2 connected to Mac

How could my system be hosed, when after making backup I’ve booted multiple times with everything working, oh, except . . .

1. wifi doesn’t connect
  2. cannot boot with 4gb external hd’s connected to bottom ports
    this boot issue occurred on 9.2.2 which is why I want to revert to 9.2.1 where it never occurred, no matter how late and great 9.2.2 is
    Nightly builds fix this issue, but then I had system fail, which never happened on 9.2.1
    This is just way toooo much!

STORAGE is where all your personal settings are located, so if its empty then there are no personal settings - thats hosed. If you restored a backup and after the restore the STORAGE was still empty - the personal settings were hosed before you backed up.
The system maybe fine but it has returned to stock.

"cannot boot with 4gb external hd’s connected to bottom ports
this boot issue occurred on 9.2.2 which is why I want to revert to 9.2.1 where it never occurred, no matter how late and great 9.2.2 is
Nightly builds fix this issue, but then I had system fail, which never happened on 9.2.1
This is just way toooo much!"

Shoog

Then where can I get installer for 9.2.1 that came on N2?
I’m not putting 9.2.2 on again to test if my personal settings are hosed once again.
I want to go back to the way it was out of box.

Hardkernel should have the shipped version on their website (but its seems they don’t host their own images so not).
CE doesn’t offer anything but the latest version and the Nightlies through their servers.

Shoog

OK thanks. That’s a deal breaker for sure. Wifi disconnect issue, system crashes necessitating reinstall start over, reinstalls that corrupt personal settings so backup is worthless, USB port corruption specific to hds, inability to connect N2 as disk/server to Mac so I can add/delete files from Kodi - is way beyond marginal fuctionality.
Spent way too much time on setup and finally had Kodi to where I could play movies, tv shows, pictures and music. Kodi interface is cluttered junk but pkscout’s estuary mod cleaned that up. took tons of time to hunt and find, trial and error and now it’s all for naught. i really liked the imdb ratings on videos, and indication of length of time for each and ability to check/uncheck watched videos, not to mention fan art, but the price in frustration, time and babysitting is just way over the top. It’s going back, or to charity. I’m through.

This is a hobbyist system so if your not prepared to do a bit of learning and tinkering then maybe a sky box is more appropriate.

Shoog

If sd cards are unstable, then the box ought to come with detachable eMMc so it can easily be flashed, as well as built in bluetooth and wifi instead of the useless dongle stuff.
And if CE is going to brand the open source Kodi interface, the CE out t clean up the clutter Kodi mess.
The Video menu is worthless. The only way to sort videos is by Movies, TV shows, and Music Videos. There’s no way to sort by other videos so they display on Video menu, so Video menu is worthless and belongs in Settings for defining Media sources which is all it is used for.
Hobby??? LMAO! Who wants a hobby in troubleshooting high tech of a marginally functional system. This is all a design/engineering problem but the geeks will never admit it because then they’d have to take a good long hard look at themselves in the mirror and realize how ridiculous it all is.

Believe you me, if there was a box that played VOB files I would have bought it in a NY minute when my UEBO bricked.
But only Kodi plays VOB and I know of no box that comes with Kodi and tech support except “hobbyist” Odroids and Raspberry Pi.
VLC also plays VOB, so I’ll probably go back to connecting MAC to hdtv and launching VLC. No movie times, watched checkmarks, or fanart but who cares? Really, it’s much more painless.

All of that is a matter of opinion. Its unfortunate that you got the N2 without researching what you were getting into. Its clearly stated on their product description - No WIFI, NO Bluetooth and no Built in EMMC. There was no deception on their part.
Also its quite possible to trial Kodi on any Android or PC device to see what it was all about before sinking money and effort into it. It has intrinsic limitations but its better than anything else other than locked down propitiatory products.

It maybe just me, but I spend many hours before I make any major appliance purchase and so I am rarely surprised by what I end up with.

Despite your own experience, the N2 is one of the top 3 products to run Kodi on - bettering by a long margin most dedicated Intel HTPC’s costing hundreds more.

I run 3 boxes on CE, one which serves all my satellite and terrestrial TV to the other two boxes, it does this fairly seemlessly and allows me to store all my music and video’s on the servers harddrives. I could expand the clients to any number I liked. The N2 is one client, a very cheap X96Air is the main living room client and the VIM2 is my main server. I can setup a box in a few hours from scratch including all TV services, and I have backups which allow recovery in minuets short of a serious hardware failure.

Shoog

Make it so !
You are the best example of prejudice against apple users.

1 Like

I’m so happy for you and all your stuff.
If it’s so great, then why don’t you stick with me step by step and tell me how to solve each and every one of these issues?
I was told the CE N2 was plug and play,
That’s an understatement to say the least.
I research everything I buy before purchase, but there’s nothing like experience.
I’ve never found a salesman yet who tells you the cons, only the pros.

Right! I’m an apple (mac) user so I’m prejudice agains myself. LOL

I think if you went back to the beginning of this thread you would find that everything you need has been laid out calmly and clearly by some very helpful people. If you followed your own advice and took things step by step then things could be fine in very short order.

Shoog

Rule #51 Sometimes You are wrong
CE & N2 is DIY, but it´s no rocket science.
There are a lot of FAQ and guides in this forum, You only have to read & understand.

Hang on, I’m writing some instructions with screenshots on how to do the backup and restore it.

My reading comprehension is superb, and my IQ is adequately above average but I don’t have enough years left in my life to FAQ, trial and error, blah blah blah.
I’ve admitted to being wrong many times, am not Type A for arrogant.
I have many years of troubleshooting Mac for myself, having had an SE in '91 and 6 other Macs since.
An honest evaluation just might reveal that all the FAQs etc are not as great as they seem - neither, clear, concise nor comprehensive, just like Kodi’s cluttered UNintuitive interface that’s like a huge labyrinth without breadcrumbs.
If I had a dollar for every troubleshooting method I’ve tried that didn’t work out . . .