Dolby Vision - VS10 Engine on Ugoos AM6+

The DV in HDR doesn’t work as it should, it just outputs without tonemapping the HDR layer. I.e. if the file is DV PQ4000, even if edid with 800 nit, it just outputs HDR layer with original PQ4000.
DV in SDR, HDR in SDR works well.
DV 5 profile is output with original PQ1000, also without tonemapping for TV capabilities

VS10 DV → HDR10 seems a bit unstable. Played a uhd.iso , start is slower then lldv and a +10 skip frooze the video. Edit i see the same slowness on lldv now

After that i did a " reset above setting to default" from settings-system- Corelec and lost all settings exept of
-disable noice reduction
-Tone map sdr to HDR
Tone map HDR to sdr

all other settings is gone , tried toggle expert/advanced etc reboot , update tar again . But there is no way to get the sittings back. Guess i have ta hard reset Coreelec and start over again. But that will be later next week ( gone for work later today until wednesday)

Edit V5 to v4 and to v5 . Settings is back

Assuming you did, but just want to check you enabled the DV Luminance switch as it is disabled by default.

For the setting I think I know what happened if it thinks the attached display in not DV capable it will hide the settings.

Mine was and I saw no RPU changes with rpu test files with DV to HDR.

1 Like

Just checked I see the same no RPU, but really odd DV → SDR8 and DV → SDR10 does have the RPU change!

Thanks for testing this - not sure what else I can change from the code - it is feeding the VS10 / DV Engine the correct details from the EDID but looks like not working but code further down is in the closed source code / on chip so cannot tell what it is doing. Probably a bug in the dovi.ko CE are using - cannot imagine it is deliberately this way.

this seems to be an Amlogic problem. Dune pro 8k with s928x has the same problem. it can’t DV in HDR. But realtek can do it.

In this case, does it make sense to have VS10 for HDR or should that option be removed?

we have trouble only with DV to HDR. all other conversions work good

This really great work; can’t wait for the post-test release version.

Just so I’m clear what the issue is because I’m not quite sure I’m parsing what the phrase “DV in HDR” means correctly:

Is it the case that using VS10 to convert from DV to HDR isn’t working? Or is the issue that using VS10 on HDR material to DV isn’t working?

(I may also be misunderstanding exactly what the VS10 engine does)

That’s great. I’m asking if the option that doesn’t work should be removed or can the mapping be implemented in software.

Problem is: DV content mapped to HDR10 not working correctly.

For when the display does not support DV but does support HDR10.

• ignores the displays luminance max
  • ignores the dynamic metadata (RPU)
1 Like

Thanks! Makes sense. Unfortunate, but thankfully not a problem for me. Looking forward to trying this out!

no, the function partially works, DV in profile 5 is shown in HDR. So you can’t say that it is pointless.

Well, in this case, my guess would be DV8/DV7 all have base HDR10 layer. VS10 just play HDR10 as it is. What can we expect of DV8/DV7 to HDR10? Tone mapping? Isn’t that the same as LLDV does?

It is very similar to LLDV, but the Display does not need to be DV capable, for example could plug into a Samsung TV without any third party device and would just work in HDR10.

Though a bug AMLogic side somewhere so it is not working correctly, and I think that bug is in the proprietary code of the dovi.ko so not something can help fix.

Super excited for the next major release that adds this and the dual-track FEL compatibility.

1 Like