.dsf support in kodi

cdu13a told me he also sent you a build to test, I wasn’t aware he was working on this issue too, but we had 2 different solutions, so it’s worth checking out both of them.

Ok tested various dsf and sacd iso files. Also tested some low bitrate radio stations (other thread)
My sacd dsf files all are converted to 192kHz PCM and play back ok. 192kHz is the max capability of my AVR. It’s not an ideal rate for dsf files - (88.2 or 176.4kHz is a better submultiple for a standard DSD64 or DSD128) but it’s ok in that it does play back.
2.0 ISO SACD plays back ok - again at 192kHz.
ISO SACD containing mixed 2.0 and 5.1 layers do not play back - you get a load buzzing, but I think this is a known issue.

I tried radio stations 2GB and 2UE from Australia. These are now upconverted to 32kHz (they were being played at their native 22.05kHz originally). They now play back ok.
I also tried station Sydney 2CH. This too, displayed at 32kHz on my AVR display, but Kodi seemed to hang.

It’s a good start, thanks.

I’ve just seen a PM from him. I thought it was the same build, but will check it out!

EDIT - his build did not work for me. I think he just changed the HDMI (not Multich PCM HDMI) interface. This was always working for me as it is limited to 192k in any case, but will only output 2.0.

Your changes are on the right track and should resolve the issues with the radio plug-in at the lower end of the sample rates also. Thanks for your interest and work on this. I think the more exotic sample rates beyond 192kHz are mainly supported on USB DAC interfaces. Can I post the link to your update in the other thread on the radio plugin?

Yes, sure. And you are right, his modification was specific to the HDMI output.

1 Like

I updated the build and links, and now the PCM device on GXL should also be limited to 32 - 192KHz, rather than 8 - 192KHz.

1 Like

Thanks again. I presume this may be a temporary/interim change? USB DACs or the I2C on the N2 or other boxes may well support the more exotic sample rates and would need to be accommodated. The normal HDMI EDID handshake should limit the sample rates (currently 32-192kHz) on that interface. I think S/PDIF is limited to 192kHz in any case. Some S/PDIF hardware can only support 96kHz. Maybe there is a case for having a whitelist of sample rates similar to video refresh rates or channel configuration in Kodi?

As far as I know, the DACs currently in use in devices, such S922X STBs and boxes, seem to be using DACs that are only capable of a maximum of 192KHz, so this change should not affect anybody.

i tried to play a sacd .iso and it just outputs garbage (white noise).
even tho .dsf files play fine - anyone an idea?

If your ISO contains 5.1 data it seems to output just a buzzing tone (not white noise, though). ISO’s containing 2.0 material play back ok. Good news, though - Kodi 19 seems to be able to split SACD ISO’s which contain 2.0 and 5.1 material and you can play back the tracks separately. Not ideal, but a step forward.

nice, did you test that with kodi 19?
and yes, afaik it is 5.1 sacd .iso, did not know that there’s a difference in white noise and buzzing tone ;D

edit: https://www.amazon.com/Guess-Who-American-Hybrid-Multi-channel/dp/B07VRW685X
guess it is more 4.0 than 5.1

There are some test LibreELEC builds in Kodi 19 available. The SACD ISO navigation is improved in that 2.0 and multichannel layers are separated. However, on my N2+ the multichannel PCM playback is not working properly. Early days yet!
Sorry about the pedantic comment re white noise. I hear it as a ssshhhhh sound, whereas the noise from multichannel SACD ISO is a bbbuzzzzzz :crazy_face:

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.