Fluidity of the interface. 40 FPS (CoreElec 8.90.2)

Hello,
I notice that the average framerate is 40 fps and there are fluctuations of 38-55 fps depending on the number of pockets displayed. Do you think that it will be possible to obtain a stable framerate close to 60fps with the S912 chip, without lowering the image quality ?

(The processor and memory never exceed 50% of activity, even in UHD playback.)

Are we talking deep pockets? Open or zipped? Sewn outside or inside?

1 Like

Everywhere. The interface is almost never at 60FPS.

Not possible with S912, without getting too deep into this subject we just don’t have the proprietary ARM blobs needed for the S912.

Does it really bother you as the human eye can not detect more than 25fps?

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.

This is wrong.
Eye + brain interprets a move from 24 FPS (arbitrary threshold brother lights); the eye + brain perceives fluidity from 60 FPS (no saccade) ; and the eye does not perceive more blur beyond 200 FPS.

A study has shown that on average, on “fast” movements, of “traveling” type, on average people are really inconvenienced below 45i / s. Added to this is the accutumance / practice effect, which skews objectivity. But, the study shows that the rensentit is also related to the field of vision. So the size of the TV can vary the effect. This is why in VR, the frequency below 90hz is banned, 120hz is highly recommended, ideal 200 hz. On my 65 "TV, I’m intolerant to a framerate lower than 50 hz.
In addition, a framerate below 60hz generates lag input.

In addition, our TVs and boxes can display 60hz ; reduces latency, eliminating jerks, and allows to thin the interface. It would be perfect to approach it. I do not know what the “ARM blobs” is, but do you think you have it one day ? Do you think it will be possible someday with the S912 ?

Good point, @anon88919003 Well, do ya? :smirk:

Unfortunately no I don’t we have been waiting 2 years already and it is unlikely Amlogic is going to pay to license them from ARM, this is a well known issue with S912 boxes and if this situation remains then S912 will be unusable once Kodi 19 drops as the plan after Kodi 18 is to switch to mainline kernel and this would not be possible with S912 without these missing files.

On paper the S912 is a better box but unfortunately from a developer point of view the S905X would be the only box I would tell people to buy.

1 Like

Currently, with s905, the Kodi interface under CoreElec is more fluid?

Kodi is not very well optimized for Amlogic. The GPU in S905X is also not that great. And this hardware isn’t very fast (at least compared to even the cheapest x86 hardware).
I can’t complain about UI fluidity with a S905X, but I don’t think it’s a steady 60Hz. It also depends on what resolution Kodi is running at and the skin you are using. Try 1080P if you are using 4K and see if there’s an improvement.

Already tested, there is indeed a small improvement of the order of 6-7 frames on average, but we are still far from 60 fps. Can we hope that the next generation of Amlogic can ensure a better fluidity, without difficulty for the devs?

We can all but hope. To know for sure, you’d have to ask Amlogic.

1 Like

I mean, can the increase of the raw power of the chip be enough to increase the fluidity of the interface, or in addition that the devs must review the code / soft ?

Too many unknowns at this point. The next Amlogic chips will be using a completely new graphics core. All we can do is hope that the driver will be open source, and will work correctly in Linux.

1 Like

Merci à toi pour ces réponses.
Bonsoir Ă  vous.