Freezes After Seek

Reposting here, as I’ve learned quite a bit since my original post – and I posted it in the wrong forum.

I’m running into an issue where playback freezes after I use an “Up Arrow” seek. I’ve confirmed that it happens on multiple Odroid N2’s running CoreELEC 9.2 (completely fresh installs). The problem does not occur on the latest Kodi for Windows. I’ve included full logs and the test video, which was encoded using the same settings as the release group Tigole (or as close as I could get it).

Disabling Hardware Acceleration removes the problem, but breaks full HEVC playback support, so that’s not a solution… Updating to latest Nightlies has the same problem

I’ve also tested the solution I’ve seen mentioned in various posts for CoreELEC:
echo 16 > /sys/module/amvdec_h265/parameters/dynamic_buf_num_margin
echo 12 > /sys/module/amvdec_h265/parameters/dynamic_buf_num_margin
echo 18 > /sys/module/amvdec_h265/parameters/dynamic_buf_num_margin

None of those had any impact. Oddly, if I recreate a 10 minute “Up Arrow” seek by pressing the “Right Arrow” multiple times, there is no freeze.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Any ideas?

It’s a kernel issue that we have already fixed in our experimental kernel, unfortunately there is no ETA yet as to when we will move to it.

Thanks! Is there a beta?

A beta of what? Matrix is not even at Alpha stage yet.

Oh I see. It will be fixed in the next full Kodi iteration (Matrix)? Any workarounds in the meantime? Worst case, I plan to remap the Up/Down Arrows to duplicate Left/Right in the short-term

You can install our nightlies as this is where the experimental kernel will be released first.

But this specific fix is not rolled out yet, correct? You’re saying do nightlies and then auto update?

I have a similar issue (also N2), sounds like it could perhaps be the same root cause? Since CE 9.2.1 after pausing any video for, maybe more than a minute, resume hangs or freezes for several seconds. There’s sound like normal, but picture is paused.
Left or right (skip in 10 second-intervals in my setup) immediately fixes it, and it resumes normal.

Did You try a fresh install ?
I have no issues pausing videos.

I have not. I am considering it though.

This is a known issue and has been or will be fixed on the next update.

Looking forward to it then. Thanks.

Check with latest nightly.

1 Like

This is an issue in 9.2.1 only when you pause for long periods of time, it was fixed in our nightly releases.

1 Like

Tried latest nightly (2020 version) on my minix u9-h and if I put the video on pause for more than 10 seconds I have the issue that @flappy81 describes. Under 10 seconds it works like it should.

Should I also try the previous nightly or are the nightlies cumulative with the included fixes?

Latest stable (9.2.1) has the freeze also under 10 seconds of pause. So there is some improvement :hugs:.

1 Like

Indeed. It’s a minor inconvenience only. So I’ll wait until next stable.