Help with settings

Hi everyone. Just got my Odriod N2 which is my first SBC and I have no experience with SSH and Linux at all, so hope you guys can help me out here.

1. I bought the coreelec edition so it came with a preinstalled coreelec 9.2.0. Now the update settings are on auto, so why isn’t the 9.2.1 version being update automatically?

2. I have followed the recommended settings for Video and Audio. Initially, colorspace switching wasn’t working for 4k HDR files, until I changed the Tonemap HDR to SDR option to Off instead of Auto in coreelclec settings. I’m also wondering if I should enable the 4:2:2 setting in that same menu. Is it better if I do as the N2 is connected directly to my LG soundbar, which is connected to LGB8 oled TV? HD audio is also working great!

3. I experience some buffering in Plex for Kodi add-on connected to a remote server when playing very high bitrate 4K remuxes (around 55mbps and above). I have a 1gbps connection and speed test addon in Kodi gives an 800 plus mbps download speed which is reasonable. Is there a way to reduce this buffering by adding an advancedsettings.xml file for example? Also, is there a way to show the network speed etc as these files are being played, like a stats for nerds option that YouTube has for example?

-1. I think that it will get the update after reboot. If not, download the update file “CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-9.2.1-Odroid_N2.img.gz” from here. Copy update file to storage/.update folder and reboot N2 to update.
(If you don’t see .update folder go to Settings -> Media -> General => enable “Show file extensions” and “Show hidden files and directories”)

-2. Try 4:2:2, and if there is no difference revert to default.

-3. Look at https://kodi.wiki/view/Video_playback -> “6 Player Process Info” and “7 Player Debug Info”. You’ll need some type of keyboard to bring up those infos on screen.

Thank you for the replies.

1. How do I get access to the folders and which settings do I go to? Is there something wrong with my N2 since it doesn’t auto update? It’s been rebooted a few times.

2. Okay that looks like I need to get a keyboard remote. Something like the minix u2 lite? Does it work out of the box or I need to configure it?

How about if I want to check the network speed while the files are playing? Also, does an advancedsettings.xml file help in this case?

I had the same problem with the update not showing but when I toggle auto to manual it showed up

Yeah I tried toggling it too, but no notification popped up.

1. Technically, the .tar file is the update, not the .img.gz file. But .img.gz can also be used.
    You can use the CE smb share to copy the file over. Navigate to \\your.device.ip.address in Windows file explorer and go to the Update folder. Drop the update file there, wait a few seconds and reboot the N2.
  2. With LG you don’t need the 4:2:2 option, it’s there for people who have issues getting a signal at 4K (usually)
  3. You need to make sure that the remote machine can handle the bitrate, and that it isn’t doing any sort of transcoding on its end.
    4K Remux can hit peaks of over 100Mbps, so directly streaming full 4k remuxes from remote sources might be a bit of a stretch. Doing it over a local 1gbit network shouldn’t cause any issues, though.

-1. Easiest way is to use Kodi File Manager
-2. A keyboard is the easiest and best way to get around Kodi. I use Rii mini i8+ wifi keyboard.

To check network speed while playing a file you have to learn how to SSH to the box to run Linux commands. For that you need a computer/laptop/tablet/phone on which you have to install some Terminal program/app. Then in Terminal you log in to the box and run commands.
To check internet speed run this command:

curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest.py | python

Thank you everyone once again for your replies.
@TheCoolest I believe the remote server can handle the bitrate as it has a 1gbps speed and it isn’t transcoding. That’s why I’m wondering if an advancedsettings.xml file will help.

@Sholander thank you I’m able to SSH into the box and run the command. However, I believe it is actually outputting a speed test result? Sorry if I wasn’t clear earlier but I wanted to check the speed of the network traffic between the box and the remote server when I’m playing the files from it(the actual speed of the data currently). Is there an easy way to do it, without having to iperf or anything?

I already answered this in my previous post, that you obviously haven read or understood:
" -3. Look at https://kodi.wiki/view/Video_playback → “ 6 Player Process Info ” and “7 Player Debug Info ”. You’ll need some type of keyboard to bring up those infos on screen.
Look at the picture and there in second row to “Mb/s:25.83” which is network transfer speed for playing video in that moment…

@Sholander hahaha I did read the post you linked obviously, and I was under the impression that figure is the current bitrate of the video file, and not the actual network traffic speed, as also mentioned by this following link found under section 7 : https://kodi.wiki/view/Codecinfo