[HOWTO] Install Ubuntu, VDR and X11 within CE environment

Add coreelec='debugging nopkmute' in config.ini and watch on UART when it stops.

I didnā€™t notice any messages when I put nopkmute. Iā€™m still stuck on the Coreelec new era boot logo.

you need to UART log!

If you had a working system before using my shell-script you should be able to get that working system back by precisely using the same .tar of the CE version you installed using the .img file.
I do not know your box and therefore I do not know whether you need the .ne or the .ng image.
Maybe you used the wrong .tar update file (.ne <-> .ng) for you box. However, without any clue Portisch is right in saying that you need UART log. Sorry, but I cannot be of further help hereā€¦

Do I need some other hardware in order to view this? I was using NE generic 4g ram 1g eth (eth not working, saw an updated NE image specifically for my box) for tox3 box.

If you can access the device from Android, please copy all your data from the device to another harddisk/USB stick and reinstall the original image. This should be the easiest way for you.

Hello, Congratulations on the wonderful work. I have been praying for 2 years for someone to do what you have done!!! Great job!
I use Beelink gt-king pro + coreelec 20.
1st day everything is fine! 2160P - OK. ubuntu - ok, smooth work
Day 2 VDR-disabled, switching from Kodi to Ubuntu - fails!

Please release a script without VDR, only coreelec + ubuntu.
thanks in advance!

I couldnā€™t test how vpn + remmina works. Iā€™ll report back when I fix the system.

Again, good work. i am willing to donate, is there any way? Thanx

Day 3: surprisingly vdr pops up for a bit and messes up Kodiā€™s resolution.
It also happens while Iā€™m in the Kodi menus that it sends me to the Home menu. this did not happen on CE on SD

There is no need to donate me.
If you want to stop VDR from popping up you need to execute

systemctl stop vdr.service

and reboot system.

I did it, work!
Before that i done:
ā€œsystemctl stop vdr.service
systemctl unmask kodi
systemctl start kodiā€
Now its OK. only little problem: after restart - vdr is closing, kodi start with black screen, but when i push any key some times, its show screen and it is OK.Thanks

Sorry for my next stupid question: I install addon : script.stop_kodi_start_x11.zip.
But where to copy script.stop_kodi_start_x11.sh? UBUNTU/storage? and HOW to do it with command, I allready install ot emmc :frowning: sorry, i dont know. What to write on terminal i am connected to ssh? Thanks

You need to ask @Kill_Bill, where to put the file. He wrote that addon (only based on my ambilight addon).

1 Like

You need to unpack it to /storage/.kodi/addons and enable addon in Kodi. Then you run this addon to stop Kodi and start X11 environment.

I install it with Kodi - install from Zip. all files are there but dont work! with terminal is difficult to me!

I always forget what is easier :smiley:

Anyway, addons is now installed but you need to copy script stop_kodi_start_x11.sh too in /storage folder.

I started with this, but I dont know what to type, My system is on emmc. i try , and then write for help. I dont know right command :(. This is the problem. I try in terminal, ssh

I donā€™t know if you have working terminal or no.
But for files copying around you can use WinSCP :: Official Site :: Download

CoreELEC:~/downloads # scp stop_kodi_start_x11.sh root@192.168.100.2:/storage
Copy Done!
but BLACK Screen, turn off CEC, and again black screen! :frowning:

systemd-run /storage/stop_kodi_start_x11.sh - black screen

File /storage/stop_kodi_start_x11.sh must have executable permission (chmod +x).

Or try with this addon: 522 KB file on MEGA

1 Like

addon not finish install

With addon from Kill_Bill and
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 150 Mar 19 17:28 stop_kodi_start_x11.sh

Black screen :frowning:

Maybe you also got wrong screen refresh rate set by X, which your TV does not support.

Also you not need the addon, you can test with ssh connection and try the commands listed above.
Also you can try to change screen settings with ssh connection, as @beta explained above.

Also you can check with pstree, if Xorg is running, and /var/log/Xorg.log.

One problem is of course that only user root is available, but for everyday use a user without root privileges is recommended. Maybe we find a solution to that?