Khadas to release a S922X board

but it has WLAN an Bluetooth an EMMC on Board :slight_smile:

WLAN and Bluetooth are pretty irrelevant - I stuck a £2 bluetooth usb in my s905x box, works perfectly, and usb wifi is simple / cheap to add if needed. The emmc is worth having - even oif internal install isn’t supported you can boot from sd / usb and use it as storage. Any more than 8GB is just empty space for me though.

1 Like

For me the issue is that Khadas did almost nothing to offer software support for their board after releasing the initial Android versions, the version of Ubuntu they released was fairly generic and never offered anything but software accelerated graphics. When they released their own dTV board they simply used the generic software that the chips came bundled with and did nothing to port drivers into Linux.

Basically they release fairly good hardware and then wait for the community to do all the heavy lifting of developing real world support. This is night and day different to Hardkernel’s approach.

Coupled to this is the inexcusable lack of a decent heatsink and durable case.

Is the VIM3 going to be any different to the VIM1/2 in terms of support - I very much doubt it.

So is is better not to buy?

Everyone should choose the board based on their own needs and preferences. Price is not always the most important factor you look at when choosing a product.
The VIM3 boards have everything you need pretty much integrated into the board, and you only need to get the heatsink (and maybe the fan). The N2 boards have other pluses, such as a big heatsink, that’s included in the price.
You can get any size emmc you want, and it’s removable. The N2 doesn’t really need a fan at all, although it has a header to connect a fan. I think it’s cheaper, and whoever doesn’t need Wifi/BT it might be a better deal overall.

2 Likes

Worth noting also that the team is still waiting to receive development samples and until such time that we do it is not currently supported.

I spent ÂŁ60.00 adding a high spec sound card to my VIM2. The N2 comes with a built in high spec DAC.

They start a Contest. For a 40$ coupon.
So normal Price will be 140$

anyone here for helping #3 we can share order# for more discount :slight_smile:

did they respond an will send your samples?

If the samples arrive we will post more info.

1 Like

VIM 3 will not come with 922X
It will have the
Amlogic A311D

Which is identical to S922X with NPU added.

Will CE every make use of an NPU? I’m assuming not but the A311D is using the 922X B spec which is faster than the A spec used in the N2. 1.7Ghz vs 2.2Ghz so that is something

N2 is 1.8/1.9 for a73/a53. Vim3 is 2.2/1.8 for a73/a53.
The difference in clock is also only something if the device can maintain the higher clock.

As for the NPU there is currently no use for the NPU, and probably won’t be one in the near future.

If the software support for the NPU is good, and it’s performance is reasonable for real world uses, it may be possible to make use of it to add some interesting new features to CE. However I wouldn’t suggest buying anything because of a lot of 'if’s and a could be. :grinning:

Without hardware in hand it’s hard to say anything.

In fact N2 runs at 2.0/2.0 for A73/A52, without any problem that I could detect (tested in CE, Ubuntu and Android). 1.8/1.9 seem to me as HK fail-safe values.

The heatsink is superb on the N2. I would not run the VIM3 without their fan kit. Beelink already runs very hot iirc.

Also the new NPU based SoC will be more expensive. Never trust promo prices.

Yeah it’s great. My AVR box gets warmer than the N2 heatsink does. Of course all my stuff uses HW decode, still it’s nice the N2 doesn’t warm up much.

Nothing against Khadas but i think they need more time to mature as a manufacturer as after weeks of waiting to get the edge i finally moved on and bought something else but i did buy the Vim2 to take alook at it and found some of the board level work not up to the quality of some of the other makers like HK or Pine products. Manufacturing schedules and delivery dates seem to be issues with some things while all the add-ons (another revenue stream) seem to be plentiful. To me they appear to be more interested in developing the addon’s revenue stream and based on timing i almost feel like the appearance of this product is more of a rush to get something in the market to keep up with others. Hopefully things will improve as the company matures and better refines their production and engineering methods.

To me the other and more important issues is the lack of software support outside a small handful of people that are really pushing the Khadas products as it makes me think that a lot of people are sitting back waiting to see if more coders pile on to help out and give their products more appeal to end users looking to buy something.

At this point i just don’t think they have the support that some other makers already have as they have been around for awhile and proven their devices. Theres already way to many speculators in the SBC arena . Their proposed devices have appeal and look nice which is a good step but without any real development community around their devices its hard to say where they will go in the future.

Theres not many boxes i have not at some point in time over the years ripped apart to evaluate for others and as much as i like the specs on some of what they present i won’t buy another khadas product as long as there are other devices in similar price range that are better proven.

Some of these companies are just trying to push boxes and boards out as fast as Amlogic pumps out another SoC irrelevant to whether the existing devices even properly work and i am starting to find the SBC market going down the same rabbit hole.

I

1 Like