Kodi 19 in CoreELEC

Personally I’m looking forward to the music library changes, but as others have mentioned, you might be forced to upgrade if your add-ons stop working.

Initial testing of Matrix on X86-64 shows little compelling reason to move off Leia.
That might change.

Shoog

Having used X86-64 nightly builds as a portable installation, the biggest problem with 19 at the moment is the number of addons that have yet to migrate to python 3.

Basic functionality seems to be pretty much the same on the surface.

The only potential concern for some with regards to 19 on CE and other related products is AML support, although there does not seem to be any panic about it so far.

Any particular reason for not having nightly builds based on Kodi Alpha?
I only need HW acceleration and PVR stuff - nothing else matter.

Because that’s not what the nightly builds are for.

Sorry, about the short answer.

nightly builds are for testing what will be in the next release, not for trying experimental stuff that is still in development.

You can kind of think of the nightly builds as a rolling release candidate for the next stable release.

So no Alpha builds of Kodi.

OK, you made it clear. Thanks.

I’ve replaced my C4, although not 100% sure it’s what I was expecting. The speed difference wasn’t as big as I expected, and the only thing that stands out is the 4k HDR. If you already have C2’s, you probably don’t care about 4k then. So the only real upgrade you get is a little more speed and Kodi 19 support. Unless your on a budget, I would grab an N2+. It’s only $13 more in the states.

Kodi 19 is the context…

For me as a (mainly) PVR user, Kodi19 certainly brings many improvements. As soon as there are usable N2 images, I will start using them :wink:

V18 does very well too, though. Very thankful for the work that has gone into it as it stands today :thumbs up:

Which of these many improvements make a great difference compared to use of 18?

I use two Pvr’s and channel numbering is fixed in v19. Starting PVR entries as live streams is a big ‘yes, please’ if you use the replay TV option often.
PVR reminders requires a separate addon in Leia. There’s also some epg and performance improvements. For me, that’s interesting enough.

Channel numbering works perfectly for me in 18.8.

And at least an addon does at the moment give adequate functionality for PVR reminders.

So a few would be a fairer thing to say rather than many?

Marginal at best …

Shoog

IPTV Simple Client now has timeshift which is an excellent new feature, the ability to pause/resume, rewind etc in Matrix is afaik not available in any form in Leia via Simple Client.

Which is present in CoreELEC with IPTV archive client for ages. Now it’s maybe optimised but it’s currently available as I said. But your iptv provider has to support it.

IPTV Archive is a very different and convoluted method whereas in 19 it captures the stream on the fly without any need to jump through hoops or find a provider who supports it. If you’re asking for enhancements in Matrix then the new timeshift is definitely an excellent new feature.

1 Like

I’m not sure if this is really true because the provider still need support archive access. Like playing something from the past time and not just now (live). The implementation in Matrix is different but the basic ideas are from IPTV Archive addon.

Yes it is really true, access to the archive is not required as it captures the stream from any channel on the fly and stores it locally using inputstream.ffmpegdirect. I’ve tested it in Android & it works very well. There’s a thread about it over at the kodi forums https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=354976 Of course if you want to use the Archive feature that would need Archive access but for basic timeshift they have simplified the process.

Timeshift and archive are two totally different things. The point of IPTV Archive addon is only access to archive (as the name suggest).