LibreELEC dropping Amlogic support

@Shoog I feel the same, I personally do not think it will not give much… if any performance boost in my opinion, if anything then it will be the opposite, you only have to look at the performance impact that the Linux Spectre/Meltdown bugfixes have had.

We use our devices purely for Kodi and the grunt of all of the work which is video decoding is done in the VPU, mainline will help other projects more like Armbian.

I can tell you from team discussions that nobody is losing interest yet, everybody is quite excited since the arrival of the S922X, it’s not really wasted effort as we do it all for fun at the end of the day and there is a small sense of accomplishment once we get something working that didn’t work previously. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

100% agree. I hope it will be otherwise, but my experience whispers me “you wish” :slight_smile:

Greetings,

I’m not fully aware of the event, will the LE Team not be able to provide software for Amlogic Chip devices anymore? So, it’s not going to support?
If this is the case, I’m not too surprised because the CE Team had left for them.

And I think that the CE Team is doing very well. Thank you very much.

I also don’t remember when I used the LE software for the last time.
But their loss is great.

And I want this from this group, that group, this group, do not stretch the environment by pulling that.
It hurts both communities. I find it unnecessary, that’s all.

Best regards…

LE is going to drop all Amlogic vendor specific code, which means it’ll only fully work on Amlogic hardware when Amlogic mainline support is completed.

2 Likes

Which will take a long time. It will only work partly with regressions.

So, you did not get money from Hardkernel to be a sponsor? So, what kind of sponsorship was it? I am pleasantly surprised by your statement.

Nope. They send 6 free devices for some developers.

1 Like

Absolutely not, some members of our team received the N2, 2 months prior to its release.

We have never asked for financial support from any user or sponsor for that matter, nor would we ever.

1 Like

Hardkernel got a great deal here. For the equivalent of one day salary of a few developers, they are getting such a dedicated group.

Thank you very much. But, I think Hardkernel should give you a percentage of every n2 sold which is being used with Coreelec.

1 Like

We are not that way inclined, we are hobbyists :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree with Adam. It is not a real sponsorship I know but we do that for fun. We can finance the server for the forum through ads. So this is all about self running now. We don’t need any money especially from our users.

Yes, but something tangible should drop from Hardkernel onto your accounts :wink:

1 Like

I have a very good relationship with Hardkernel since a few years. They have built a nice community and they care. For me the most important part is to have a vendor that cares and supports us.

5 Likes

I know CE only from few months. I registered because of curiosity about the Odroid N2. I understand less than zero about techinicals. I read here words like ssh and many others and it is as chinese lang for me.
Ok. But I am very inpressed by the dedition and love that these CE devs show constantly. I thought to ask them if I can eventually donate some money to help them and now I know the answer.
I think that they deserve a true deep respect for what they do. I dislike some ambigous allegations and wish them to continue on this road. Thank you everybody in CE Team.

6 Likes

Nice words and maybe a smile is all we desire. We just like working on Amlogic hardware and we like to make users happy. We only ask in return for respect. Don’t expect us to do something right away because you said so and be kind without complaining.

6 Likes

Thank You All! And believe me that I’m smiling :slight_smile:
Although you take no money (which I totally respect), please don’t pass an offer for a beer/coffee if you ever visit Lisbon :wink:

There is a lot of double standards and hypocrisy at play because both projects received payments from WeTek.

No it was not openelec. LibreELEC got this for supporting Wetek Hub and Play2. It was part of a package deal, additionally a lot of people got a free Wetek Hub (me included)

And about the kernel work you are right. Everyone gets something somewhere but I hardly see what any LE developer does concerning mainline kernel work. They just sit on their hands or make builds.

1 Like

What I find funny and disappointing is the amount of seething hatred that Chewitt has for CE, Its a bit pathetic considering that all their principled decisions against 3,14 have left them with a bunch of poor Community builds running LE (on the 3.14 kernel) with no useful support .

Pathetic.

Shoog

2 Likes

He just takes it personal that we left. LibreELEC was his rebellion. He’s probably also still the one calling the shots behind the curtain. I guess the own medicine always tastes bitter.
Just don’t worry about him, he’s trying to provoke. I will not lower myself to his level.

4 Likes