N2 Boot Sequence

Thank you for the explanation :wink:

Hello. I would like to ask for some help. I just received my N2 and prepared a microSD card with Coreelec 9.0.3(imaging with Rufus on Windows). I changed also the device tree. However when I try to start the system from the SPI interface(selecting the CoreElec entry), I get the following message all the time:
“Cannot determine the file type of /usr/var/petitboot/mnt/dev/mmcblk1p1/kernel.img”
I reflashed the card many times, tried another card but no success. The cards are 2GB and 16 GB big but I think it shouldn’t make any difference.
When I start in “MMC” setting of the switch, then nothing happens, just black screen, no blue blinking on the board. Could anybody help out, what am I missing? Thanks in advance for your help.

1. If you make the N2 image you don’t have to change dtb.
  2. Put your SPI switch to the right (MMC) position.

Thanks for your answer Pelican, I will check in the evening.

Hello. I managed to make it working. Unfortunately the uSD to SD card adapter was faulty. I tried with different ones that I had at home, and suddenly it started working. However there was no sign of this problem, Rufus managed to do the imaging all the time. Thanks for the help!

I have CoreELEC installed on eMMC and Android installed on uSD card. If I remove eMMC I am able to boot Android, however with eMMC in place it just keeps rebooting. Do I have to setup something to get it work?
Is this combination even possible? Thanks

Yes it’s possible via SPI-Petitboot, but it is not recommended. Recomended is Android on eMMC and any other OS on uSD card or USB stick.

Same as pete113, just keeps rebooting, and petiboot doesnt seem to do anything?

Which version of Petitboot are you using ?
To remember your settings in flash memory you need the latest version “20191020-rc1”
For details read this post, and ask then your questions on that forum.

Looks like im running an old version.
I just dont understand it, no idea how to install it, i burned it to a card like it says and nothing happens?

You did something wrong. It says there just to copy downloaded file to root of the uSD card and rename it to spiboot.img. Power off N2, remove eMMC module, insert uSD card with spiboot.img, put the SPI switch in left position and turn on the power. The update process will start automatically.

If it does not work that way, there is another way, but first try this way, it’s simpler…

1 Like

Tried that and nothing happens? what format for the sd card?

Fat32.
If you have a very old, first Petitboot version, then I think this method might not work for you…
You’ll have do do it “the old way”:
Download this Petitboot Recovery image. Burn it on uSD card with Etcher. After the image is burned it will contain an old version of spiboot.img. Replace that old one with the new one and power off N2, remove eMMC module, insert uSD card with burned Recovery image, put the SPI switch in left position and turn on the power.
The update of SPI Petitboot should start automatically.

3 Likes

Excellent, that seems to have worked a treat, well done!.

A few menu issues, think it has a bug but works.

Booting CE From emmc
Android TV from uSD
And an emulation package from USB,
Although might stick Android TV on A ssd.

Now to install multiple items on an ssd and boot :slight_smile:

So from now on i can just drop the image on a fat 32 to upgrade.

Sorted.

Only problem now i need to enable a on off ir code from remote, as have now way to turn it on and off.

Yes, and now all settings that you change will be saved to internal SPI memory. On older versions settings were saved to root of uSD card and you had to have it inserted all the time to use them.

2 Likes

Coolness, well that`s that sorted out, thank you for your help.

Thanks @Sholander, after fooling around for 2 hours trying different sd formats, searching web your guide worked flawless, I had version 20190627 installed so that was to old update the “easy” way apparently, thanks again.

Latest Petitboot image to use is version 20191127; download “Upgrade image” from here

Thanks, yes that’s the one I got installed “the old way” after seeing your post.

The latest Petitboot solves the problem I was having with garbled text.

Shoog