N2+, Vizio TV, "Resolution Not Supported"

Is there any way to disable adjust display refresh rate on CoreELEC to test whether that is the issue?

No, and that setting is completely irrelevant in your case; when it was used it worked only when video player was in use, and had no effect on GUI.

Ok, I did a fresh install of CoreELEC and did a fresh install of 2 addons. I tried playing 2 different files from the anime addon and had the same problem.
I got access to a TCL tv. I hooked up the N2+ to it and played those same 2 files over and over for about 1/2 an hour with no issues.
I just spent $125 for the N2+ box.
What do I do now? This is VERY frustrating.

Sometimes I get a completely black screen and most times I get the “resolution not supported” message. Cycling through the inputs never helps. I either have to power cycle the box or the tv and then everything is normal.

@dootsie You have pretty much proven that the issue is with the Vizio TV you have like I suggested. Post which model it is and I will take a look around later for the tech manuals and see if I can figure anything out. But don’t get your hopes up because this issue seems to occur on a lot of different hardware.

1. Are the “addons” you talk about even allowed and not banned? (ie. pirate addons) Because if they are banned, we won’t be able to help you at all. What addons are you using?
    My suggestion of a clean install was to test different videos you had locally to see if the issue remains, not via unknown addons.
  2. The problem is your TV, mostly. Vizio has had some compatibility issues with input signals.
    What you need to do is connect to your N2 via SSH, run the “problematic” video, and then once you have no signal on the TV, run the command dispinfo in the SSH terminal. Copy and paste the output URL you get in the console in your reply.

Vizio E40-C2

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

On a side note…I will probably order a few new HDMI cables with my cat6 ethernet cable order. Are there any you would recommend? I looked at some of the Amazon Basics cables, but there are a bunch of different ones and I’m not sure exactly what I need to be looking for as far as specs go.

It does it with the Official Youtube addon as well as others.

Played same Youtube video a few times. Kept hitting “X” to terminate, got a completely black screen, ran “dispinfo”. Here’s the link.

http://ix.io/2Wct

Try to enable the “Limit display colour depth to 8-bit” option in Settings->System->CoreELEC.
Looks like CE is trying to output 1080p at 10-bit and 444 chroma. Maybe your TV doesn’t like that.

Why you have set /flash/vesa.enable?

Well the manual I can find for your TV is pretty useless, never seen a TV manual before that’s missing the tech specifications. You may want to bring up the onscreen tech settings, (Page 50 in the manual) by:-

1. Press the MENU button on the remote. The on-screen menu is displayed.
  2. Use the Arrow buttons on the remote to highlight System and press OK. The SYSTEM menu is displayed.
  3. Highlight System Information and press OK.
  4. Use the Up/Down Arrow buttons to scroll through the system information.
  5. When you are finished reviewing the system information, press the EXIT button on the remote.

Noting down all the display modes and adding them to the Kodi display whitelist.

1. The cables I use at the moment are these a bit up from the Amazon Basics ones but they were on a damn good offer at the time I bought them.
  2. Run the update for Vizio TV Instructions are here Not sure if it exists on your TV, its either skipped in the manual or just doesn’t exist.
  3. Do a clean install, I noticed there is still some legacy stuff in there from LibreElec.
  4. Does the YouTube app in the TV’s smart menu do the same thing it does with the N2+?
1 Like

I’m sure the testing I did was on a clean install except for the samba.conf file. What LibreElec stuff did you see?
Youtube app on tv runs fine, no issues.

I called Vizio over the weekend. I’m waiting for them to get back in touch with me with a list of supported resolutions. There are none available anywhere that I could find.

UPDATE: After doing some digging online I found that someone with a Vizio problem was told to switch HDMI ports. I had asked the Vizio 3rd level support person if that would fix the issue. I was told it would not. So I switched ports anyway (from HDMI2 to HDMI1) and it was like a miracle. The problem went away!
I’m not sure if it’s worth the time and headache to try to keep “fixin” the problem on HDMI2 or just use HDMI1 and be done with it.

2nd UPDATE: Just talked to Vizio support again. She gave me the list of resolutions. She also told me that the only difference between HDMI port 1 & 2 is that 1 has ARC and 2 does not. I will try to whitelist the resolutions tonight with the box plugged back into HDMI2.

@dootsie That’s annoying bet your pissed at Vizio.

Yes, I am NOT a happy camper with this mess.

I’m going to summarize this for others in case they run into this same issue.

If you have an Odroid N2+ box and are using it with a Vizio TV and are having display issues, i.e. black screen or “Resolution Not Supported” messages try using a different HDMI port on you Vizio TV. I had to move mine from HDMI 2 to HDMI 1. This fixed the display issues I was having even though Vizio support said there was no reason it should make any difference.

I have seen similar things in the past, Sony CRT TV’s on scart were at one point notorious for limiting the RGB input to one port only. HDMI switcher in port 1 for your devices would probably sort it for under a tenner.

Did you mean adding a switch to HDMI port 2 would probably rectify the issue when trying to use the N2+ in that port?

No plugging in HDMI switcher in port 1 like this example that way you get all the port 1 benefits without having to swap cables all the time.

Ahhh, I wasn’t lickin right. I had Kodi box solely on 2 and a 3-port switcher on 1. I just swapped ports at the tv to avoid moving cables around.

It turns out that it is best to buy a 4/5 port switch port and run EVERYTHING off of HDMI Port 1 and not use port 2 at all.