Network connection issues on Odroid N2+

What does SSH Command “ethtool eth0” show before and after you toggle the switch?

I ask because on my N2 connected to an Arcadyan (Speedport Smart 3) router I have a similar problem. After fresh boot (power off/on) my N2 connects to my, not very smart, router only with 100Mbit/s:

Link partner advertised link modes:
10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full

So I have to force N2 via “autostart.sh” to get full ethernet speed:

Link partner advertised link modes:
10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full

Here is the output I got before toggling while speedtests were down to around 20-35mbps

CoreELEC:~ # ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
	Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
	Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
	                        1000baseT/Full 
	Supported pause frame use: No
	Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
	Supported FEC modes: Not reported
	Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
	                        1000baseT/Full 
	Advertised pause frame use: No
	Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
	Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
	Link partner advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
	                                     1000baseT/Full 
	Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
	Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
	Link partner advertised FEC modes: Not reported
	Speed: 1000Mb/s
	Duplex: Full
	Port: MII
	PHYAD: 0
	Transceiver: external
	Auto-negotiation: on
	Supports Wake-on: ug
	Wake-on: d
	Current message level: 0x0000003f (63)
			       drv probe link timer ifdown ifup
	Link detected: yes

Sorry, what does TF mean? These are the boot modes my device supports.

• eMMC : Removable (custom design by Hardkernel, eMMC 5.0)
  • Micro SD : Removable (UHS-I)
  • SPI : On-board (NOR, 8MiB)

My device doesn’t have built in wifi unfortunately. I know Hardkernel sells an adapter, but it would be awhile till I can try it out with the long international shipping times. I will try to do some research and see if there’s other supported adaptors I could try.

Wasn’t sure what this was either but google shows me it’s basically a ethernet to usb adaptor, right? I used to have one but no clue where it is after moving a bunch of times since last I saw it. I may just pick one up from Amazon and see if I can get it with quick shipping.

So tonight my little workaround of toggling my connection off/on didn’t work as reliably as it has been for the last week. I sat down to watch some tv and got buffering right away (don’t know why I even try anymore without checking my speed first, I guess I’m hoping it will magically fix itself). So I ran some speedtests and was getting around 20mbps. Ran a quick ethtool eth0 command as @Sholander suggested. Then toggled my connection. Ran some more speedtests but this time I was only getting around 85mbps. Which is much better but until now it has always gone right back up to around 93mbps. I noticed that the ping was a lot higher than normal too, like 25-30s and the speedtest tool was connecting to some server in Calgary, which is really far from my physical location in Victoria, BC. I thought maybe just some weirdness with my ISP tonight or something? So I double checked and ran a few speedtests on my Shield (hard-wired to the same router) and all those tests came in with ping around 4s, connecting to a Vancouver (much closer) server, and my normal speeds of around 93mbps. So I decided to go back to my CE box and toggle my connection again. Ran a few more tests and now it was back down to 20mpbs! What the heck? I ran at least 4 tests waiting about a minute between each test and they were all in that range. So I toggled once more, and then speeds went back to around 85mbps. Again, better but still slower than they should be and still using a server in Calgary for some reason.

Just wanted to update as this was a little change from what has been happening over the last week.

In the process of looking into wifi adaptors and usb ethernet adaptors now.

Well, this looks OK to me, a completely different situation than mine…, don’t know what can cause this slow speeds, except maybe some hardware fault on your N2…
Although you get 1000Mb/s speed reported when CE is running do you have green LED lit on ethernet port?

hi!

i also noticed that network speed in ce 20.0 is slower than in 19.5 final. i also experienced visible buffering and the starting of playback seems to take quite a bit longer than usual. i remember that i had a similar problem in 19.5 rc3, which was discussed by someone else in the feedback thread for rc3, but was reported as resolved in this answer here. it had something to do with a dtb.img file. so just to be sure…is it possible that this fix didn’t make its way into 20.0?

my ethtool output looks as follows:

CoreELEC (official): 20.0-Nexus (Amlogic-ng.arm)
      Machine model: Hardkernel ODROID-N2Plus
     CoreELEC dt-id: g12b_s922x_odroid_n2plus
      Amlogic dt-id: g12b_w400_b

CoreELEC:~ # ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Supported pause frame use: No
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Supported FEC modes: Not reported
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: No
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
        Link partner advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                             1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
        Link partner advertised pause frame use: No
        Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Link partner advertised FEC modes: Not reported
        Speed: 1000Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: MII
        PHYAD: 0
        Transceiver: external
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Supports Wake-on: ug
        Wake-on: d
        Current message level: 0x0000003f (63)
                               drv probe link timer ifdown ifup
        Link detected: yes
CoreELEC:~ #

greetings…and sorry if this hint is wrong

Sorry, what does TF mean?

TransFlash= Micro SD : Removable (UHS-I)

Maybe with different CE version like 19.5 if you are running 20 or vice versa, this is to check if it is CE compability related, u never know.

Using USB NIC is to further determine if it is hardware related. I myself encountered a broken wired NIC on a S905L box with flutuate pings, but wifi works normally.

For more information you will need to test “older” releases if they behave stable:

Start with 19.5_rc2 if stable. If yes try 19.5_Final next, thx.
And next time include debug logs requested by CE to be able to give support:
https://wiki.coreelec.org/coreelec:ce_support

Thanks for the info, I’m going to test out 19.5 and see if the issue still occurs

Okay, will try this out and report back!

Sorry, could you explain what you want for debug logs? What exactly would I post logs of? I’m not getting any actual errors or issues that I can reproduce. I’m seeing buffering but that is explained by the slow internet connection. The reason I didn’t include any logs is because I don’t know what actions to take. Are you wanting me to turn on debug logging and run a specific command? Turn it on and run a speed test, or toggle the connection?

I gave you the link 3 times now, more I can’t do…

You must be thinking of someone else? This is the first time you have ever replied to anything I have posted and you posted 1 link to CE releases and 1 link to the troubleshooting section of the CE wiki. I have read through the entire thing and it does not answer the question I asked you.

The most important part being

Prior to posting a debug log, reboot the device and reproduce the issue.

And as I stated in my reply to you, I do not know how to reproduce the issue

So you could do more by answering my question, which would be greatly appreciated since I don’t understand what you are asking of me. The question is. What do you want me to post debug logs of?

1. Turn on debug logging and run a specific command?
  2. Turn it on and run a speed test, or toggle the connection?
  3. Something else?

Switched to hidden until “some” usefull log info is provided…

READ WIKI

I did read the WIKI. Over and over again. And as I stated… The wiki says EXACLY this

Prior to posting a debug log, reboot the device and reproduce the issue.

And as I stated, I do not know how to reproduce the issue.

So unless you tell me what you expect me to do in order to reproduce something I do not know how to reproduce, or update the wiki so that it is explained there… then I do not know how to follow what is in the wiki.

I am a happy and appreciative user who has only been using CE for a couple of weeks now. I am thankful there are talented people building a great product like this and have already started recommending CE to many of my friends. I am just trying to get some help with your product. And I am not sure why, but it seems you are being purposely difficult.

I guess you must have missed this page which I last modified on 2022/12/06.

Being unable to reproduce the issue with a clean installation means there is no problem with CoreELEC (I really shouldn’t have to explain this, it’s a no brainer).

It is an issue though. Maybe not with CE, maybe with the device I’m running it on. That’s what I’m trying to figure out. But it’s just not something I can reproduce. Rather, I should say it’s not something I know how to reproduce in a debug log. Basically I am having issues where my network connection slows down to much lower than it should be. But I don’t know of a way to tell the logs, “Hey show how slow my internet is right now!” I have basically been SSHing into my device and running curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest.py 20 | python. But that’s not going to show up in a debug log. So I don’t know how reproduce my issue, which I can reproduce in an SSH session, but in the context of a debug log.

Like maybe stress-ng --matrix 0 -t 1m is the answer here? But I don’t really know for sure, which is why I’m asking for some guidance. Would stress-ng --matrix 0 -t 1m be the way to go? Something else?

Thanks so much

Problem with Contact
CoreELEC Team CoreELEC
Kodi Team Kodi
Kodi Add-on Add-on developper
Hardware Hardware manufacturer
Network CoreELEC Wiki (*)

(*) Troubleshooting network issues is a complex issue. This article provides limited support and links to 3rd party websites for advanced troubleshooting.

I did a test on my N2+ and experience no issues on my network what so ever running the lastest version of CoreELEC.

Thanks so much for the info. I definitely understand the fact that this is a complex issue. And yes, I had already seen that section of the Wiki which you linked to, but doesn’t hurt to have another look so I appreciate you linking it. At least 1 other person has mentioned experiencing a similar issue so next steps I am going to take are trying out a clean install of 19.5 (starting with rc2, then 19.5 Final), as that person had mentioned they only started seeing issues on 20.0. How did you test on your N2+? I know there are a few different tools so I’m curious to know what you used. Might be worth checking to see if it yields any different results.

So thanks to the input from the community here, I definitely have some ideas for things to try, which I’m going to get started on today as soon as I get off work.

But my immediate issue is still that I have a CoreElec team member asking me for logs, but even after reading the Wiki many times, I don’t know what to do for this particular complex issue after enabling debug logging and restarting my device. And that person is not responding to my requests for what they would like for me to do.

Here are the only things I can think of based on the information I have

1. Turn on debug logging > reboot device > SSH in and run ethtool eth0 command
    • I don’t this this would work because I believe it would only output the information to the terminal shell and nothing in the debug logs
  2. Turn on debug logging > reboot device > SSH in and run curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest.py 20 | python command
    • I don’t this this would work because I believe it would only output the information to the terminal shell and nothing in the debug logs
  3. Turn on debug logging > reboot device > SSH in and run some kind of iPerf command
    • I don’t think this would work because number one, I believe it would only output the information to the terminal shell and nothing in the debug logs. And number two, I have never used iPerf and am still a little confused after reading the docs, but I believe it does not fit this use case since from what I can tell, it seems to be for debugging the connection between 2 devices, and not internet speed
  4. Turn on debug logging > reboot device > SSH in and run stress-ng --matrix 0 -t 1m command
    • This might work because I think it prompts the CE Network Tools addon to run a script, which likely would output something in the debug logs
  5. Turn on debug logging > reboot device > toggle the Active connection off/on
    • This might work because I think it would likely output some sort of info to the debug log but I don’t think it would be anything helpful
  6. Turn on debug logging > reboot device > run the Kodi Speedtester add-on
    • This might work because I think it would likely output some sort of info to the debug log

Those are the best ideas I can come up with. I have read the Wiki and am not just trying to be lazy here. The first and only other time I have ever posted on this forum I provided a debug log in the first message without anyone needing to ask me because I had read the Wiki. But since it is explicitly acknowledged that this particular issue is a complex one, I do not know what the appropriate steps are for getting debug logs for this issue. So when a team member asked I inquired as to what that would be. I am trying to get help, from one human being to another, in a support community that supposed to be designed to help others. So it would be really helpful if someone with knowledge could say what those steps should be. Weather I have identified it in any of the 1-6 ideas I have been able to think of, or weather it is something else that I haven’t thought of. As soon as someone tells me I can get to work producing those logs and hopefully move this forward. :pray:

[rant]Really, you have so many ideas but you keep asking and complaining instead of just providing the bloody output of all of your ideas already… and please don’t reply with another text of 100 lines when in the same time it takes you to write you could have run the tests and produced SOME logs.[/rant]

Sure I can definitely do that! I’m at work right but as soon as I get off I will go ahead and just try all the ideas I had and post the results! Thank you! :heart:

I wasn’t trying to complain though, so I apologize if it came across that way. I’m, honest to God, just trying to get an answer to my question. Everything I tried my best to come up with for examples was just me guessing, I have no idea what I’m doing really. I am about 3 weeks into using this product and everything is still very new to me. So I was asking for help from others who know what information would and would not be helpful, what information they would like me to provide. @Portisch is the one who asked originally, so I’m not exactly understanding why they can’t tell me what they would like? Because maybe none of my ideas are helpful. And they have a completely different command in mind.

Can’t we all just be kind to one another? I’m struggling to understand why I am feeling some passive aggressiveness coming from @Portisch when I just want some help for his fantastic product.

I love this community, by and large. I have been able to find soooo many answers on here as I have started my journey in using CoreELEC. And I definitely hope to try and give back to it as much as I can by answering others questions as I learn more. I want to always be nice and kind and I hope others on here feel the same way :heart:

Thank you for your help @HeresJohnny, logs coming ASAP!