New CoreELEC Setup

I’ve been running Kodi on Lubuntu on an Odroid C2 for the last 3 or 4 years, and now want to try CoreELEC on my N2.

Base installation is ok, but I have some custom settings I want to transfer over (LIRC and sync’d DB for watched status). I’m having some issues locating where the files reside. I’m used to looking in /home/kodi/.kodi for things like advancedsettings.xml, but that location doesn’t exist here.

Where would I find it?

Also, I was hoping to use the N2 as a retro emulator, and I was wondering if something emulationstation can run under CoreELEC ?

The Kodi setting folder is located at
/storage/.kodi

so you would want to place your advancedsettings.xml
/storage/.kodi/userdata/

For Emulation you have a few options.

1. RetroPlayer is built into kodi, and you can install libretro cores for it as addons.
  • This has the downside of not having a nice gui for listing your roms, and a more limited number of available emulators, but is the easiest to setup and use.
  1. EmuELEC addon, which is a version of the EmuELEC OS which has been designed to run as an addon on CoreELEC
    https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/emuelec-retro-emulation-kodi-addon-for-coreelec/
  • This provides emulationstation as an interface but does not provide all the features of the full EmuELEC OS
  1. Dual booting CoreELEC and EmuELEC. EmuELEC is a full OS dedicated to emulation and retro gaming.
    https://github.com/EmuELEC/EmuELEC/releases
  • This option is a bit more involved to setup and would require an additional storage device, you would also need to reboot the N2 when you wanted to switch between CoreELEC and EmuELEC. However it would provide the best option for having a Full feature media center and emulation setup. Todo this you would require 2 storage devices. uSD, eMMC module, and USB drive are viable storage options. Then while the N2 is turned off you would set the boot select switch on the N2 to SPI and attach both storage devices to the N2. After doing this when you power on the N2 you will be presented with the petitboot menu where you can select which OS you would like to boot.
1 Like

Thank you for the tips. I was able to transfer over my custom settings and Kodi is working just fine. I still need to test LIRC to make sure my Harmony remote functions with it, but I expect that to be straight-forward.

I may try the dual boot option, as I already had a fully functional EmuElec installation on an SD card, while CoreELEC is on its own eMMC.

Thank you again.