Nightly builds

1. Do you use Wi-Fi to connect?
  2. If first answer yes, than in connection settings please check if your ethernet adapter not enabled? If not enabled, try to enable it.

No, I use ethernet only, WiFi is disabled.

Friend @relkai can resurrect the link that addon.
I’m having a problem sometimes it turns out the tuner, I’ve had the same problem before.
I would like to test the updated addon with an older version of Coreelec.
Well, I think my tuner might be in trouble.

It wasn’t a link posted by me and you need to ask @afl1.

1 Like

There still remains the lingering problem with TVheadend that if you select a channel to soon after a reboot it subsequently gets stuck and will not allow any more channel changes. If you however wait for all boot up events to completely finish (about 30 secs) this problem doesn’t arise.
I am wondering if it has something to do with the Zomboid VPN addon which is just about the last process to launch and would be responsible for changing the apparent IP address that the TVH server talks back on.

Shoog

My two S905 boxes have started to auto-update nightlies, even though updates are set to Manual. Is this by design?

It is not possible to automatically update to the newest version. You also won’t see any update notifications.

I use this settings. Nightly is auto updating on manual…and I get update notifications too daily.

Can confirm this update behaviour

Yes it’s a feature not a bug.

The idea behind nightlies is to keep everybody up to date. That way, if a new issue is introduced, we can detect and fix it quickly without it lingering in the code base for days or weeks until someone accidentally stumbles on it, and then we’d have to scratch our heads looking for the problem.
So we’ve made the decision to force auto updates to be always on.

It’s not really a feature since the Manual setting is now being ignored.
The reason I select manual is because I don’t want to auto-update nightlies but like to be notified of the new update so I can check out the changes.
So is the only way to prevent this to remove the custom channel settings?
What is the Auto setting for?

1 Like

I have to agree that this is not good policy. A setting is now not behaving as expected which by definition make it a bug. As far as I can tell its not even achieving its stated objective since it requires a manual reboot to trigger the update and there is no knowing when the update arrives to know when to initiate that trigger.
I have no problem with this been setup as Auto. However for the longest time the Auto update was broken on my system and never drew in the normal nightlies so I gave up on it and always downloaded the TAR. I only did intermittent updates simply because quite often the changes were not applicable to my system.

So great to have AUTO update working again on mys system - but no to breaking the manual switch.

Shoog

1 Like

This change makes it feel like “You are the product.”

Everyone does not have the time to deal with the bugs/changes introduced by nightlies.

I did not like it when it was introduced with N2. This makes it worse as it is going to be like this for all devices.

The definition of “nightly” builds is using a system that’s on the bleeding edge. New features, changes, updates, regressions, major breakages, anything can happen. We don’t have time for chasing problems that were introduced weeks ago because users stay on old nightly builds.
We are currently integrating a new device (and kernel) into the coreelec-9.0 repository. It’s very important to avoid build fragmentation as much as possible. It’s also very important for problems and issues to surface as soon as possible, and not be delayed because you have a problem, and don’t have time to report it and simply stay on an old build.

If you want a stable build, use a CoreELEC 9.0.1 Stable.

5 Likes

Yes. We will change Amlogic nightlies to weekly with a canary period of 24h. If you still don’t want auto updates you need to return to official stable. Amlogic-ng will stay on nighlies (auto enabled).
And new stable will also force update. The reason is simple. If you report a bug on an older nightly it’s just not that helpful

Sometimes, it makes sense to listen to the users. Microsoft also doesn’t want fragmentation (with all the forced updates and all the catastrophes associated) and as a result I am still using Windows 7 and will move to Linux once I can no longer use Windows 7.

I don’t think you lose anything by allowing users to stay on whichever nightly that they want. Only thing that you can ask is for the users to report the build number before raising any complaints. It is quite simple. You will have more users trying nightly builds if you give them flexibility.

But, as I always do, I repeat, “Your software, your choice.” It is not working out well for Microsoft with forced updates.

This is alarming. I mean alarming. Come on guys don’t destroy your product. But your product your choice.

1 Like

Microsoft forces updates for a different reason. We just don’t have the manpower or time to deal with issues from old builds.
It’s a hectic time for us right now, and things are moving quite fast. It’s difficult to keep up with everything. Forcing users to report build numbers a) almost never works, and b) not very useful if they’re on an old build, since that problem may have been fixed already or one of the devs is aware of it, but others aren’t.

I may be okay with that as far as you don’t force update major revisions (i.e CE9 Leia to CE10 Matrix) as it can break a lot of users configurations.

Please DON’T do that. I have my box to enjoy watching movies/series, NOT for experimenting! When a build works for me I have no REAL NEED to update to something new which can turn out to be problematic for my needs.
I recently had such experience and had to remove downloaded updates before rebooting/turning off, or disconnect it from network to be sure that my box will work OK next time I need it.

2 Likes

See it as your contribution to make the developers’ life easier a little.
They explained why they need it in that way.
MS is a completely different story.

1 Like