Nightly builds

Ok well this conversation is going nowhere.

I will make it so new posts in help and support have a predefined template to assist us and users with making sure all necessary information is provided.

Any more suggestions?

We have a dedicated group of users who reply to users already on a daily basis and this is something that we are extremely grateful for because it helps us massively as it allows us to spend more time where it matters most… on development.

1 Like

Evereything’'s good then. Great.

+1 for continuing to have access to nightlies, especially on N2. Several nagging items like stuttering on liveTV have been fixed in nightlies and I’m appreciative and will continue to run them and update daily.

1 Like

If we didn’t have automatic update at all then it would be an absolute nightmare for us, support wise.

I understand some people feel like we are infringing on their liberties by forcing updates on nightlies but we created nightlies so users can help us find bugs before we make Stable releases and not so users can find a version they are comfortable with and then stick with it, this is what our Stable releases exist for.

I also understand that a Stable doesn’t exist for the N2 yet.

It would be premature to rush one out just to address this issue.

This does not mean that we are diminishing the fact that there is a valid issue, we are aware, voices have been heard, we provide CoreELEC for free as a hobbyist project, we are a small team of like minded people that are just trying to help people and not fuck anyone over.

We have fought tooth and nail with Team Kodi recently for Amlogic vendor code to be retained in Kodi M for everybody here when almost the entire LE team has been rooting for it to be dropped.

On a seperate note the .177 kernel we are working on with the latest Android BSP that dropped last week is looking to be best we have done yet.

It should drop in nightlies by the end of the week.

4 Likes

I just returned at home and read this whole discussion.
I can’t put it in better words, but I’m really disappointed by some of the posts in this thread.
Not because I’m personally investing many ressources to build and upload nightly builds every day, but mostly due to the fact, that our small team of developers are working night and day to push your lovely devices to their limits.
I’m not a developer myself, but I’m extremely impressed by the work and passion our devs are putting into CE.

They do this in their spare time, without any personal benefit.
They do it for you. The users.
We don’t ask for donations (like other similar projects). We don’t let you pay for using CE.
It’s your personal and free decision to use CE.

If you choose to install a nightly version onto your device, you accept to be on an unstable release.
The “downside” of using nightlies is, that we expect you to report issues, so our developers are able to fix any problems arising in the next nightly version.
For a proper bug report it is mandatory to stay on the latest nightly available.
If you don’t agree with it, you should just stay away from using our nightlies. Period.

6 Likes

Waste of time, it will probably be removed in the next couple of days thanks to the crooks at LE, so we will have to fork Kodi and maintain amcodec support in our fork.

I see there are mix of few basic questions/personal issues with… My 2 cents.

1. Devs needs to have better feeedback, and not get false reports from not current versions. Forcedated nigtlies helping with this.
  2. User(s) are confused / angry that this is not clear within the software. Personally agree with that, seen PR here to add information about this (ie. CE nightlie shows info about force-autoupdate in settings) in CE Settings@nightly. That should solve any potentional complains, dunno if its already merged/accepted? I think this is need, as huge number of users get used to Kodi/ELEC update behauviour, and GUI should correspond with software behauviour.
  3. User could want to choose own version of software. That should be solved by stables, and accessible archive, which github releases offers.

3a. I get from discussion that there are some users with needing 3. and have N2 platform. And I understand dev has own standards to say “ok this is stable now”. This is pickle and I dont have enough information to propose best compromise. Maybe do at least one initial stable, or non-forceupdates Beta, for those who wants to use new toy without helping developing efforts (I know that this isnt for everyone, and also understand that for the new platform devs appretiate more feedback for obvious reasons).

I think, if the 2. and 3a will be solved, noone will be against force updates on nightlies, and noone will have any problems or bad feeling.

Appretiate devs effort and not escalated discussion, despite some (few actually) more spiky posts… Youre are doing great job and we all appretiate it, I think those above are just small adjustments and everyone could be happy again :slight_smile:

1 Like

It was made clear over a few weeks ago when this discussion first popped up.

You have missed the point in that nightlies are there for users to help us make a stable release, they were not created with the intention of users to find a version that they feel comfortable with and then stick with it, that is what the Stable releases are for.

We can’t please everybody and I think the best option at this time is to withdraw nightlies totally like Ray said, problem solved.

If that happens then you need to open a thread where people actively commit to the nightlies and all that entails. I am still happy to run nightlies (nothing has broke on my system for months running nightlies).
I would put my name forward.

Shoog

1 Like

I think everyone needs to chill a little bit and we need to return to topic.
We will add a warning on the nightlies website apart from that nothing will change for now.
I’m preparing a N2 stable release and I pushed the new kernel for the N2. It will be there in nightlies. If everything is good we will shoot our a stable in a week or so.

3 Likes

It is not going to be a dead end. We have enough ressources to run a Kodi fork.

5 Likes

With today’s N2 knightly (20190531) again after update my Netflix and HBO-Go credentials are gone and I have to put them in again. This did not happen with last 5 or 6 knightlies…

Also, the ethernet link comes up at least 5 seconds later than usual (10-12 seconds instead of 5-6 with previous knightlies), just enough to let Netflix addon inform me that there is a problem with my credentials (“Please check your credentials”). After a couple of seconds, when the link is established, all is OK with NF, it starts the background process…

Okay, this is the first nightly I’ve had any serious issue with.

I use the analog audio output port and today’s nightly borked the audio — it sounded overdriven and massively distorted. When I tried to do the “paste logs … short link” it stayed at zero and it refused to cancel or close the dialog. I reapplied the patch to double check that it installed correctly, but the distortion still existed. On a restart of Kodi, the startup audio was fine for about a half second before it became distorted again.

Can anything out of the regular SMB log dump help?

If you reboot the box again do you receive the same issue?
In this nightly there was a global update(new kernel and uboot) so may be just something related to update.

You didn’t clarified on what box do you have this issue and type of audio on that you have this issue.
If N2 than we need logs to check. if not N2 than in this nightly there were no related changes.

This is the first nightly with the new 4.9.177 kernel. So I kinda hoped we didn’t hit major issues. We tested it internally for a week.

I have no ethernet issues. My NF works as expected. I have the option “Wait for network” setup and also a static ip for Ethernet on my network.

dmesg log might help.

I can’t see any audio regression on N2 with latest nightly.