Nightly builds

I have no ethernet issues. My NF works as expected. I have the option “Wait for network” setup and also a static ip for Ethernet on my network.

dmesg log might help.

I can’t see any audio regression on N2 with latest nightly.

No Netflix credentials lost nor ethernet issues with the 20190531 for me.

The thing is that after the update the box did not want to reboot nor shut down properly. It turnd off HDMI but stayed in limbo, all USB ports still powered and did not respond to any remote commands. Only pulling the plug brought it back to life. Tried several times with same result.

Then I “updated” it by dropping .tar download to update folder. After first initial (forced) reboot that also did not work, turning it off/on booted normally (with above behavior) and after that it turned off/on with remote and rebooted as should.

I have fixed ethernet IP address, and prolonged time to get online is really not an issue, and NF did work somewhat OK. After watching a movie for about 30-35min it started dropping frames and stuttering. Pausing video for a couple of seconds fixed that for next 10-15 min, and then it repeats stuttering…

I run former knightly versions with slight boot.ini CPU overclock for better NF performance:

setenv max_freq_a73 “1908”
setenv governor_a73 “performance”
setenv max_freq_a53 “1992”
setenv governor_a53 “performance”

These are the values that I used for initial update that did not reboot/turn off. After new update I left original boot.ini which did work except for NF statering/frame droping after some time.

It looks to me that new kernel doesn’t like overclock…

Please upload dmesg | paste after stuttering
And also uart log if possible when box doesn’t want to start…

Uart log not possible, but will do dmesg tonight. Should I stop the video or keep it running for the log?

1 Like

I’m not sure what it will be something in log… But do it after several seconds as you will see stuttering…
Keep video running

Yeah because it’s better noone tries and reports it until everyone gets a stable release with those issues. Bravo…

1 Like

We did not test OC. Is OC even required?
This Kernel comes from Hardkernel and was rebased by them. I guess something was forgotten. Thanks for the reports. We really appreciate it because we do test a lot before we merge stuff. And sorry for any inconveniences.

No inconvenience :wink:
I use OC to better NF performance, as I somehow convinced myself that it works better, i.e. no dropped frames.
Tried OC just now with above values, and got same behavior - does not reboot, gets stuck in limbo :slight_smile:

This is valuable info. I’m chasing a random reboot stuck issue. I will give that info to Hardkernel.

It’s possible some kernel panic… Need dmesg logs as minimum.
Could you also try shutdown and start again instead of reboot?

Definitely the OC values I used (first up from default) are the cause for not rebooting/turning off.
@boot2k3 when to do dmesg? Shut down and start again also don’t work, because the box does not shutdown completely. It hangs with HDMI output turned off and red led on. Pulling the plug is then only fix.

Another observation with default boot.ini (no OC): all visible services are starting later and slower. As i mentioned NF backgroud services first shows “Please check your credentials” and half a second later “Netflix background service started”. I use oled display with “service.odroidn2.oled.0.1.3” driver, and the display used to turn on instantly after home screen shows, and now it has a second or two garbled pixels before it shows current time…

I have a debug log. I reproduced. It’s a kernel issue. I will fix it after the weekend.
Netflix issues are related because CPU is stuck in a low freq I guess.

You speak about Kodi services right?

Sorry for my brevity last night, it was done in a bit of a rush primarily so that others may get a heads up.

I’d posted last night after I’d installed the 5-31 nightly, right before my wife and I sat down to watch some TV. I reverted to the 5-30 just to get through a few shows with the intention of having a better look this AM.

A reboot didn’t fix the problem, nor did just restarting Kodi. And yes, it’s a 4GB N2. Audio being sent out is Analog via the 1.5mm audio jack.

This morning I noted in the SMB dmesg dump that there’s an “FAT-fs (mmcblk1p1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.” error. I thought maybe something corrupted the device tree, so I took out the eMMC and fsck-ed it on another machine. Cleaned 'er up pretty for a re-go at the 5-31.

After reinstalling 5-31, the audio issue was again back. I’d tried the night before switching between a Audio Output Devices with no luck. Apparently, I didn’t try all, because this morning switching to HDMI shed light on the problem.

Because I use onboard audio, no audio’s been going to the HDMI since nearly day one of my having the N2. Volume on the HDMI input on the TV had never been turned down. So as it turns out, the Analog audio was just fine, but it was being “shouted over” by the HDMI audio now making distorted noises. Switching to PCM or S/PDIF didn’t seem to make a difference, but switching the audio to HDMI did. Suddenly I was getting clean audio over the TV, as well as solving the issue entirely once I switched back to analog.

In short; something happened with this update that sent garbage to the inactive HDMI audio when the Analog 1.5mm jack was being used.

I was also able to get a proper log paste today as well, so everything prior to the audio switching should be in there:

http://ix.io/1KCX

I will note that there’s still the “FAT-fs (mmcblk1p1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.” warning in dmesg.

Don’t know if it is Kodi or CE. Odroid N2 Oled Driver 0.1.3 by roidiy.

I reverted to 190530 which was best for me so far. Ethernet link is up in 5 sec, Oled display turns on instantly with correct time, no double NF info only standard “Background Service Started”…

Can you take off 190531 to stop nagging me with update until you fix kernel?

Some of us, knowing we’re running on nightlies, keep backups and are also aware that updates can be rolled back temporarily.

Know what you’re getting into, and you won’t have much of a problem.