Nightly builds

Yes. We will change Amlogic nightlies to weekly with a canary period of 24h. If you still don’t want auto updates you need to return to official stable. Amlogic-ng will stay on nighlies (auto enabled).
And new stable will also force update. The reason is simple. If you report a bug on an older nightly it’s just not that helpful

Sometimes, it makes sense to listen to the users. Microsoft also doesn’t want fragmentation (with all the forced updates and all the catastrophes associated) and as a result I am still using Windows 7 and will move to Linux once I can no longer use Windows 7.

I don’t think you lose anything by allowing users to stay on whichever nightly that they want. Only thing that you can ask is for the users to report the build number before raising any complaints. It is quite simple. You will have more users trying nightly builds if you give them flexibility.

But, as I always do, I repeat, “Your software, your choice.” It is not working out well for Microsoft with forced updates.

This is alarming. I mean alarming. Come on guys don’t destroy your product. But your product your choice.

1 Like

Microsoft forces updates for a different reason. We just don’t have the manpower or time to deal with issues from old builds.
It’s a hectic time for us right now, and things are moving quite fast. It’s difficult to keep up with everything. Forcing users to report build numbers a) almost never works, and b) not very useful if they’re on an old build, since that problem may have been fixed already or one of the devs is aware of it, but others aren’t.

I may be okay with that as far as you don’t force update major revisions (i.e CE9 Leia to CE10 Matrix) as it can break a lot of users configurations.

Please DON’T do that. I have my box to enjoy watching movies/series, NOT for experimenting! When a build works for me I have no REAL NEED to update to something new which can turn out to be problematic for my needs.
I recently had such experience and had to remove downloaded updates before rebooting/turning off, or disconnect it from network to be sure that my box will work OK next time I need it.

2 Likes

See it as your contribution to make the developers’ life easier a little.
They explained why they need it in that way.
MS is a completely different story.

1 Like

I sure have made Microsoft’s life easier.

We’re not holding anybody hostage here.
Stable is an option, but if you prefer to use something else, you’re welcome to.

But on “Stable” version updates are also forced, so really NO option :wink:

1 Like

Nothing is forced on the stable branch, since a newer build is not available yet.

It will update only 9.0.2->9.0.3 etc
Not 9.0.2->10
And about Nightlies it was said clear that these are unstable and you have the choice to move to stable.
We might consider the stable update force.

1 Like

Dont follow reason here.
Please dont :hushed: Altough I understand this for nightlies (I think disabling update control switch in nightlies would be more clear and transparent in my opinion), having this on stable is frightening me… Some parts of code (DVB drivers, …, ) could be dropped/worse in future versions (ie. some older DVB Tuners wont work well with newer kernel hyphotetically, I see multiple reports of worse signal reception based on different DVB drivers - including different version of DVB latest/V4l, which is kernel specific AFAIK - for example), and user will be left with non-functional part of system, even when it was fully happy before (ie. not making any reports) with previous version and lets say have bought XX tuners…

Don’t you trust us?
A decision like dropping DVB addons is a major update not minor. So this could be 9.2 instead of 9.0.1.
Anyway we heard all concerns and we value user/community opinion. We will discuss this internally.

4 Likes

@Ray
Please do not force updates on stable software versions.
I get you may not want to support older software versions, and that is ok. Just require anyone submitting issues to update to the current version, and provide a version number in their request.

1 Like

I do not understand why anyone would want to run older builds. We want to move forward. And forcing minor(!) Updates is not bad. We are talking stable software including security/bug fixes for instance updating Kodi from 18.1 to 18.2.

1 Like

We all run these builds as working systems so if things break we want to revert and run what did work until its fixed. I did exactly this for months when things temporarily deterioated after 8.95.4. I kept trying the nightlies but when my dvb didn’t work on them I reverted back. It took a long time for my reports to get picked up as an issue with the dtb for the VIM2, and if I didn’t have the option to stick on an older version I would have had a borked system for week/months.

Shoog

Because it works perfectly and bad experience with fresh/new updates?

TV channels and videos freeze when the processor operation reaches 100 percent.WetekPlay2

I hear you. @anon88919003 what do you think? Should we reconsider forced updates?

I have the same problem as @crazyturk
With KI Pro.