[SOLVED] No sound on DTS-HD & Dolby TrueHD

Hey! Just migrated from Libreelec to Coreelec är it’s working good so far! Many thanks!

However, I’m having some issues getting any sound output when playing files with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD.

I have a Minix UH-9 which is connected directly to my TV via HDMI, and then an optical cable from the TV to the receiver. This is only so I can get HDR support since my receiver doesn’t support HDR passthrough.

In Libreelec I was still able to get sound when playing DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD, probably downmixed or something, but it worked. In Coreelec I’m not getting anything when playing these files?

Any ideas?

Most probably your TV isn’t capable processing HD audio signals.
Please try to disable HD audio passthrough in “Settings > System > Audio”. This way Kodi itself downmixes it to a non-HD stream, and your TV shouldn’t have a problem with it and passthrough to your AVR should work again.

As relkai said, the TV can only passtrhough DTS and DD over an optical (or ARC) connection.
So in your passthrough settings, disable the HD formats, and you should get the DTS or DD core to your AVR.

I know that optical only supports DD and DTS, not HD formats, but in Libreelec I could play DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD tracks as regular DD and DTS-HD tracks. The HD formats are disabled in Kodi.

If I disable passthrough I’m only getting Stereo.

You should only disable passthrough for TrueHD, DTS-HD and Atmos.
I don‘t know, why this worked in LE, because it doesn‘t make sense to passthrough these formats to an optical connection.

EDIT:
Sorry, I just re-read your comment about the HD formats being disabled in Kodi.

I had a similar problem even in Libreelec. I enabled DD encoding disable DTS-HD / TrueHD. Although now I re encode all my audio to AC3 384K for maximum compatibility with other players.

Odd. I have a soundbar connected over optical and it works just fine that way. (throughput for DD and DTS, HD formats disabled)

You can play DD-TrueHD and DTS-HD tracks? If you check your receiver, what does the output say?

I have a Soundbar, it doesn’t support DD-TrueHD and DTS-HD. I have to uncheck those to get sound out, but it works with 99% of HD tracks.

Isn’t it better to connect Coreelec box to a receiver directly, and then the receiver to the tv?

It is, but if you have a 4K/HDR TV, and the receiver can’t passthrough HDR, you can’t do that.

Can Odroid N2 play soundtrack DTS HD MA or other at 96khz, 192 khz ?
When i play a movie with Kodi (passthrough activated), the soundtrack displayed is not 96 khz but just 48 khz.
Why ?
Thanks

Do you have some DTS-HD MA samples on 96kHz or 192kHz for test?

Yes. it plays 96 kHz and 192 kHz.

Output from receiver for DTS HRA 96kHz

Receiver shows 96kHz

OK, but on your TV screen display, i see DTSHD 48 Khz

I trust more my AVR in the bottom part of screen, as it shows what it received.
need to check debug code

Ok thks, i will test this evenning. :wink:

Hi,

I just bought a Beelink GT King.
It works well with Kodi / Android (even with DTS and sound output 5.1 !)

So I just installed CoreElec and cannot have sound with DTS.
Sound has cuts and seems to be slow down (deep voice).
I can deal with by changing sound output from 5.1 to 2.0

I had no problem at all in Kodi LibreElec with my RPI3

Can you tell me if this problem will be solved in stable version ?

You need to set channels to 2.0.