Question about new MECOOL KM8 Google Certified Box

Do a search for this “Netflix 5.0.5 HD”. That version of Netflix WILL play in 1080P on this box, but it is a touch screen version. By rights, since this box has HDCP 2.2, Netflix SHOULD play in 4k, but it doesn’t. My Xiaomi Mibox supports HDCP 2.2 and plays Netflix in 4k.

Tnx; found it on my PC’s hard drive in Netflix archive folder :slight_smile:

Hi

Can someone explain how they got Coreelec booting on this?
I’ve tried with both microsd card and USB stick, doesn’t work.
Is there a special procedure to boot Coreelec?

​​​​​​​Thanks.

It boots like many of other android boxes with the help of Reset Button.
Holding reset button pressed and then powering the box forces it to boot from SD/USB without problem…

Doesn’t have a reset button. But I got it working with the right DTB file :slight_smile:

It does have a reset button. Look more carefully on the bottom front side there is a 1mm hole under which is the needed button :wink:

1 Like

:astonished:

Thanks!!

Hello, I have MECOOL MK8 with latest version of coreelec (fresh install), but original IR remote is totally not working.
Is there any way how to make it work, pls let me know.
Thnks

Did you try this?
echo "meson-ir * mecool" > /storage/.config/rc_maps.cfg

1 Like

Hi, do not have such a file

CoreELEC:~ # cat /storage/.config/rc_maps.cfg
cat: can’t open ‘/storage/.config/rc_maps.cfg’: No such file or directory

That’s not the command you was given, follow the advice given then reboot.

aaah, sorry, I did not realized that file should be created…looks too simple :slight_smile:

Original IR remote is working now, but quite laggy, I need to wait maybe 1-2 seconds after pushing the button physically to mirror on the screen.

But at the beginning of this thread is the remote.conf listed, which I have used and remote works great now, without long response times.

Thnks

i’ve just got one of these, ive used openelec, libreelec, coreelec over the years, i always manage fine.
I’m having difficulty getting the km8 to boot to coreelec,
the dtb is right, i see the factory reset hole but it wont boot.
i’ve looked for info, am i missing something obvious ?
using the 9.0.2 img for new install,gxl 212 2g.dtb
thanks,

I have a Mecool KM8 box which boots and works fine on CE 9.0.2 using “gxl_p212_2g.dtb”.
If this .dtb does not work for you then you probably have a new box version that has Android 9.0 preinstalled. This version has LOCKED boot loader and you cannot install CE on it.

The only way to get CE is to flash your box with an older Android 8.0 version firmware (it can be found on Freaktab forum) and then you can install CE on SD card…

sounds about right, thanks, i’ll sort that now

I can boot to CE with Mecool KM8 using Android 9.0 from both SD/USB card. My only problem is wifi/bt which not working, probably gxl_p212_2g.dtb problem. Can someone provide right way, dtb or instructions to maybe install wifi module or someone else

Probably you have different WiFi chip on your box than I have on mine, because my KM8 with CE has a working WiFi. Solution for you is to use an USB-WiFi dongle that is compatible with CE, or find out (by opening the box) which chip is used on your box and then maybe the necessary driver can be included in CE image by the developers…

I have a Mecool Pro L? when the wifi stopped working on android. I contacted the vendor, they gave me a refund, but let me keep the box.

I suspect there was a hardware problem, I don’t think I was the only one.

Anyway, I bought https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32900537041.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.65124c4dcZomXb

this works

Is there SSH command which can I use to determine chip or something other. Any solution without opening box

Box is new. On android everything working perfect including BT remote. Can I extract and use dtb from android?