Raspberry Pi 4 Model B is out!

I wish they used a proper HDMI port instead of those 2 flimsy micro-HDMI ports.

1 Like

Whatever the downsides that the Pi 4 has over other more powerful (and expensive) Chinese boards has, itā€™s certainly bought the Pi to a level that many users will have been hoping for.

Itā€™s been slow in coming and in the time between 3 and 4, the Chinese vendors have been able to tap into the market to lure pi users away to get better features.

But the 4 looks like it might do pretty much most of what the vast majority of users want from something today.

Add to that the fact that itā€™s a brand known and used worldwide, with direct support from the manufacturers and a huge user and support base that is essentially ā€˜trustedā€™ and it should become clear to Chinese vendors quite rapidly that it poses quite a potential threat to their markets.

In the first day, first run supplies are sold out, which says such a lot.

BT 5 and WiFi AC on board are also features that will make users question the added cost of things like the N2. Native Dual 4K output will also seem a valuable tool, especially perhaps for gamers.

Lack of eMMC may on the surface seem a great disadvantage but booting from a cheap SSD or mechanical hard drive will likely put that issue to bed.

Looking at reviews so far the 4K performance out of the box is problematic at best and there seems little information about the GPU capabilities in terms of HDR, 10 bit support etc, which is the one aspect that could make or break the Pi 4 from quite a market domination, so a waiting game for me but if it does end up supporting the range of video playback that I would hope and expect then I would find it hard to resist in comparison.

I suspect that this will drive prices for S922X solutions down in order to compete if the Pi 4 can deliver the goods.

Right now Iā€™d be sure that many that might have been waiting to bite the bullet on the N2, GT King will be holding back to see what the Pi 4 can really do.

Itā€™s going to be fun watching the battle.

The game may just have changed, for now ā€¦

2 Likes

I agree 100%
It would not have gotten better!
His words were from a consumer and not from a fanboy.

Can DTV be added?

Iā€™m not sure youā€™ll see the S922X drop, i think more then likely you will just see the market split get bigger with units like the Beelink and others that follow feed the normal Android box market where maybe you might be right as competition forces it but as for the development or sbc market i think the opening vollies of prices that your seeing HK, Pine, Khadas and others will probably sitck around their current prices at least till the next cycle of new SoCā€™s from RC and AM.

I can see Raspberryā€™s being popular amongst the cheap crowd like it always has, but outside of that as far as a development or sbc i would be surprised as they already cantā€™ compete with BBā€™s and ST or TI boards and now with the likes of the N2 and some of the others i just donā€™t see it happening as most serious developers i know already think of Raspberryā€™s as a Arduino competitor. maybe if they had choosen a diferent CPU then broadcom things would change, I already know a bunch of Raspberry coders that were hoping the new board would move of the Broadcom cpuā€™s not so much cause they are no good its just Broadcom is one of the most difficult companies to work with unless your a huge purchaser. Honestly they are great little boards and i got dozens of them kicking around the shop but its just to much work to create on.

As said it will be interesting to see how things pan out.

There are any number of USB and SAT > IP solutions for this.

Shoog

2 Likes

Hopefully it can be added

TBS engineers offer raspberry support.
such as TBS5520se
Run here with raspberry 3.
Works identically to KI pro

1 Like

https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/06/24/raspberry-pi-4-benchmarks-mini-review/ more polishing needed! An cooling solutions!

Im an Amlogic fanboy all day long but I bought a Pi 4 just for the support. Companies tend to support the Pi a lot more than Amlogic devices. Two examples for me are Plex and Parsec (game streaming). I tried for a couple of days to get Parsec working on my S905X and S912 but failed yet the Parsec team have a Pi package that works. Tried it on my Pi 2 but it was too slow so getting a Pi 4.

2 Likes

Could you test hevc 10bit support?

HEVC decoding is supported on day 1 but HDR is not implemented yet, it will require a newer kernel

What about VP9?

Yes it has VP9 decoding support in software right now with hardware support down the line according to the Pi forums

Thank you but can you confirm HEVC is 10bit and not software decoded?

Iā€™m talking about HEVC

1 Like

HEVC is currently HW decoded in LibreELEC 9.2 alpha

FYI 10bit doesnt mean HW or SW decoded. 10bit is normally associated with HDR

I donā€™t know that much about hdr.
I have a gtx 750ti which, on the paper, has support HEVC. But it canā€™t play HEVC 10bit videos.
So I realised that not all devices that have HEVC support are able to play HEVC 10bit 4k videos.

The fact that it plays a 10-bit HEVC with hardware decoding doesnā€™t tell the whole story. You also need to have automatic color depth switching, and of course he HDR metadata passthrough.