Replacement tuner for mecool ki pro?

Thank you, I knew that afl1 went missing before his drivers could be mainlined (I just hope he is well), and I understand that things can break any moment now, but I think I can use it for few years more, at least until the tuner I eventually buy will break again :sweat_smile:
Then Iā€™ll consider if I can get rid of a steerable dish and just put up a pair of smaller dishes for the satellites Iā€™m interested in (I donā€™t do much satellite hopping these days), or just go the iptv route (though old habits die hard).

If you were from Spain I would give you one of those tuners, I have here several Mecool K1, K2, K3 and Magicsee blocked and broken from friends who sent them to me. I think that these tuners do not break that easy and the fault may be from the electrical components failure board.

I actually live in Spain :smiley:

Oh, and itā€™s easy to check if the tuner is at fault: just remove the tuner board and if the box boots then itā€™s the tuner.

Yes, voltage regulator is the culprit. The same was in my old Wetek Play 1 and it also failed here. I expect it will fail again after few years of operation.

New tuner is OK so far.

Send me a private message. If you take care of the shipping I give you the tuner of the Mecool KI Pro. Iā€™m from Andalusia CĆ³rdoba, the same you can even come and pick it up.

1 Like

Iā€™d love to but itā€™ll have to wait until I have some holidays (I live in Barcelona).
Iā€™ll contact you in private for the details.

Cannot help on the actuator, but the Digibit Twin is a doddle to setup.
Plug in your sat cables.
Plug in an ethernet cable.
Plug in a power.
Allocate a fixed IP address for the tuner in your router config or the Digibit config.
Goto your TVheadend setup and enter tuner configuration. Your two digibit tuners will be listed and you just run the standard setup procedure.

There is a possibility that the Digibit doesnā€™t correctly broadcast its credentials to the network and then it wont show up, the solution is to modify the TVheadend config file to always look for it in a fixed location. Slightly awkward but easy enough.

Thats it your done. As others have said I went through the whole rigmarole of PCi tuner cards, cheap USB tuners. Support was never stable and eventually LinuxTV would always stop supporting your hardware and leave you stranded on an archaic version of Kodi. SAT > IP will always work since its standards driven and the hardware is transparent. Mine has been excellent for two years now.

Shoog

Update: this morning the box is definitely dead, so I suppose the fault didnā€™t lie with the tuner board after all :worried:
Now Iā€™m looking for a box with a dvb-s/s2 tuner that works with coreelec and Iā€™m probably out of luck since it seems there is none :sweat_smile:

You are riding a dead horse.

quite, but so thereā€™s no need to tame it :joy:

I have fixed some Mecool for friends, others could not fix them and throw them away. If you have cheap courier delivery and you want to send it ā€¦ I can see it for you, logically free but if you take care of the delivery.

Thank you, but I wouldnā€™t want to waste your time. Now, if you could tell me what components are possibly failing, I could take a look myself.

• The first symptom was the original power supply (12V 1A) broke
  • I had a spare 12V 2A and that worked for a couple hours
  • I tried without the tuner board and it booted
  • I stupidly cut the power supply pin of the INN8186 thinking it was the culprit (since the area around it got very hot in a few seconds), no change
  • It worked for 3 or 4 days with a 12V 1A power supply.
  • Tried again with the 2A power supply, no joy

Both power supplies are fine.

Without seeing it, I donā€™t know what might be failing. See if any condenser is swollen, try another android firmware using usb burning tool to see if it starts, and then load it with CE 19. I do not know by eye without seeing ā€¦

Interesting & helpful details.To me, it looks like:

• You have a primary fault in the tuner board (or connected LNB), consuming too high current, which overloaded the LDO regulator
  • Cutting the supply pin of the tuner board w/o removing the complete board, results in clamping of the data lanes (= reverse powering the tuner board via data signals). This likely caused secondary fault on the CPU by EOS

I have not much hope for any repair.

No, thereā€™s nothing obvious, no swollen or leaking capacitor, just no sign of life (even with the tuner, I could see the led blink for a split second, also the led on the power supply itself dimmed, showing excessive current, now I got nothing of that).
Time to move on and find another box. Pity, because this one was good.

No, I didnā€™t cut power to the board, just the power pin of the IC. But it doesnā€™t matter, the box is dead now.

Then whatā€™s the current status of the box without the Tuner board?

As SAT/IP is the future, maybe check also https://www.megasat.tv/produkt/sat-ip-server-twin/ which supports DiSEqC 1.0 (if your rotor is compatible).

The box is completely dead, it just lingered on a few days after removing the tuner board (hence I thought that was the problem though now it seem it wasnā€™t).
My actuator is controlled by a home made hack that I patched into tvheadend and itā€™s now part of the official tvheadend distribution.

I received for free a couple of Zgemma H2S (Enigma) boxes that had previously been used for a defunct dodgy IPTV service.
I put a new version of Enigma on them and installed a plugin to provide Sat>IP from the tuners.
I have CE running with tvheadend server on an old ARM device (S905W) which distributes all channels throughout the home.
I had never even used Enigma previously and it took me a couple of days to understand how it all worked.
I split my cable from a Unicable LNB and the Zgemma devices worked well.
If such devices are being discarded in your locality, as they are in mine, then I think it might be worth spending a little time on one to see if you can use it.
I bought another used Zgemma with DVB-T2 tuners as my HDHomerun device crapped out, and now that Zgemma is my sole source of DVB-T tuners ā€¦ previously had TBS in PC, then several HDHomerun devices which were not reliable, and now the Zgemma.
Yes it is an extra device, but as I do not use it for display out, it is put away in a cabinet and connected to the LAN.
I mostly use a Digibit R1 for DVB-S/2 but have on occasion also use the Zgemmas when required.
You might be surprised at what can be achieved.