S912 User experience

If one day we will get 4.9 kernel on S912 devices then user experience will be almost same as on S922.

This is extremely unlikely to happen. Amlogic have lost interest in the s912 and never licensed the GPU driver for release in anything other than Android.

Shoog

Almost no problems with three MeCool KIII Pro devices. Just bluetooth works with 9.2 nightlies. But now completely without major issues. If you dont care about bluetooth much, then stable 9.2 is for you, almost perfect.

I use the nightlies regularly on two S912 boxes and it works extremely well.

On occasion, as should be expected with nightlies, there can be the odd bug or two appear but they are generally resolved by the next release.

I also get superior video quality than I do with an Ng build on S905X2, especially on OTA TV.

I moved away from 9.0.2 a long time ago.

My experience with S912 is very good, and with CoreELEC, the better. All my devices are S912. This is my implementation:

2 posts were split to a new topic: Artifacts with x265 content on S912

No complaints here, mecool m8 pro L.
Using various add-ons :wink:,
Sacked tvheadend off cos youview box is a lot more wife friendly.
PQ is spot on.
Rely on hdmi-cec as dropped remote in a pint of beer!
Runs 24/7
Got the Nexus ROM on emmc. That is purely for redbull TV.

Similar set up here except all clients are wired, not wireless.

1 Like

I have wireless clients because they are all integrated in the zerotier VPN and I can take them anywhere outside the home, and abroad, as they are, without changing anything and without losing any functionality :grinning:

Would that not also be true if they were wired?
Something I am not getting there :frowning:

I use wired because it is less susceptible to interference with the stream, and no problems with 4k content.
I had wireless for one client for a while but was dissatisfied with the experience.
Of course local conditions play a large part in how well wireless works.

Yes, but I don’t want to fill my house with wires, it works well and it is not necessary :rofl:

km8p 2gig all good
no remote, no wifi…

thanks!

A little slow when it comes to scraping and starting playback. Aside from that very little issue. Plays 4K h265 and hdr well as long as you have internet speeds needed to stream it.

I’m new to this system, but for the first time I have my set working properly, thanks to Coreelec.
My devices are:
TV Sony 52" 4k
Amplifier Sony 1080, with 7.1.2
Minix neo U9 “S912”
And started this week also with Beelink GTKing Pro “S922”.
I only work with HDD disks no streaming, my movie collection are on 10 disks of 4 TB each, all connected with HUB simultaneously to the box.
With android I had several problems: image resolution, hops in the sound, hops in the image, HDR hits, and false 4k resolution etc.
Now with Coreelec everything is solved, from the ac3 to the DTS true HD, better image quality, without jumps and fluid.
Good net and wi-fi with several addons installed for subtitles and others as movie information.
As I started with Coreelec a week ago what I can say is that for me with the set of devices I have, I am 100% satisfied.
I can answer that with the latest version of Coreelec the S912 works perfect. As soon as I have more time with the S922 I can give my humble opinion
Many thanks to the Coreelec team

2 Likes

Thank’s for taking the time in posting your first impressions using CE.

2345 mining box flashed emmc with Coreelec 9.2.1 for a few months now. very good experience overall. SD card too slow. I just hope there are 2.35:1 resolutions in the aspect ratio whitelist. I have a 2.35:1 projector screen, now with black box on the sides

Any news about 4.9 kernel for old good S912?

I’m running an s912 box, a mecool m8s pro-L with the 9.2.4.1 firmware (non-ng) and it is working fine.

I also have an s905x3 box, and comparing cpu load between the two, the s912 box requires less % cpu for the same task.

For example, the Netflix addon is the most cpu intensive thing I’ve seen on it, and on the s912 it runs at 150% cpu for 8 cores (about 19% overall). Whereas the s905x3 box runs about 230% for 4 cores (about 58% overall). That’s 720p for both. Neither can do 1080p smoothly.

On the s912, the Netflix addon is the only thing I’ve seen use all 8 cores. When Kodi is playing a file, or the youtube addon is running, only 4 cores are utilized.

The mecool box runs hot, though. It got up to 80c with Netflix. Sitting on a notebook cooler, 64c.

This is legacy hardware. I got the s912 box about 2 years ago. There are better options today, but if you’ve got it, it’s still fine, I think.

1 Like

Hello.Anyone can suggest me something for bit better video playback experience?A setting or something…Netflix was playing fine at 720p but last days it has small lags about each 7-8 seconds.My box is Vorke Z6 (S912).

Try a fresh/new installation with only Netflix addon installed. If it still has lags, it’s probably network related…