The Future: Older S905*/S912 based devices and mainline

Generic S922X support will come. Till now there is no other box released afaik. Once we get some others we will add support. But as it was mentioned all those boxes are more expensive or equal if you buy 64G emmc for the N2. There is no need for 64G emmc and those generic S922X will not have installtointernal.
installtointernal is causing a lot of trouble for our generic build already and we will not repeat the same mistake.

So to sum up generic S922X will come soon™ but will probably only have SD card support.

After S922X generic we will add S905X3 but this will be more problematic and probably impossible without having some boxes for the Team.

I know what I am getting so will be satisfied with what I get.

It runs a full Lubuntu which is all you need for a flexible kodi system.

You maybe skeptical but I am not.

Shoog

@Shoog @zang74
Your discussion of the Intel SBC is off topic in this thread, please stop.

I’m just starting out with CoreELEC. I’m amazed at the wide range of support CE provides. It would have actually been better for me if they only supported the SBC products. I would not have wasted my time looking at the cheap ready out of the box ones. It seems the developers do a lot of work and suffer some headaches supporting all those.

I’ve seen it mentioned before here, but I don’t understand why people have no problem spending fairly large sums on a TV and AVR then squabble about the small price of a Kodi box. Even the N2 is pretty cheap. I’m starting out with CoreELEC on a Le Potato, but I could have bought an N2 just as well. Cost has not been a big consideration there.

Good for you. For some other people, of course, cost is a big consideration and an N2 isn’t cheap.

How much did you pay for the TV?

2 Likes

The last tv I bought cost me about £50 last month. It’s a 37" 1080p lcd viera for a bedroom.
Why?

For that even a S905W is too much to be honest. Get an old used S805.

1 Like

I’m happy enough with the pi3 and fire stick 4K currently plugged into it for the moment, but at some point an s905 will probably trickle down to it from the lounge and the pi3 will end up in my car replacing a pi2 etc. I wasn’t actually asking for advice there.
What I’d really like to be honest is another couple of Beelink mini mxiii’s. the two I have do everything I want flawlessly and cost peanuts - and being able to copy images between boxes just makes life easier. That would beat an N2 for me for now.

And you Beelink’s are enough supported by your vendor?

I have no idea what you’re trying to say, Ray. It feels like a dig but if it is I don’t know why.
To answer your question, the support from Beelink is shit. Which is as you’d expect - not that I’d be interested in running android on one of these boxes anyway. I have one box running coreelec and another (my main tv) still running kszaq’s 8.2 (krypton) libreelec. Both perform flawlessly.

Am I posting something you’re unhappy with here?

I think Ray’s frustration is bubbling because he is not well :slight_smile: simple truth is that these cheaper devices cause us great headaches due to the complete lack of support from the vendors, a LePotato doesn’t cost that much more than your Beelink’s and it’s one vendor who has worked with us.

We would love everybody to buy an SBC as it would make all our lives easier.

Sorry I didn’t want to be rude. The point I was trying to make is you buy cheap you get cheap. I understand the need for cheap but the way some people behave here or elsewhere (Not you) is that they buy cheap boxes that have zero support by their vendors but they expect CE devs to make them work.

That’s why I’m always bothered when someone complains about price, because cheap comes cheap because others pull in work for free. Just think about it.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear that.
As far as the Beelink’s go though, I’ve used them from the days of AlexELEC - so early 2016.
The Le Potato wasn’t even on kickstarter back then.

Well, I ordered an N2 anyway even though I have a Le Potato coming in the mail. I spent 135 USD including shipping with a bunch of stuff added like eMMC, power supply, case, etc. Still cheap compared to what I spent on my TV and AVR. Spent less than half that on the Le Potato. Don’t need two boxes, but I’ll keep the Potato around in hopes I can find a use for it.

I spend (waste) enough of my time helping people on various (kodi) forums (because I want to) that I don’t feel guilty about the work anyone else puts in (also because they want to, no?).
Sometimes you buy cheap and you get something that works really well. That’s been my experience with the Beelinks. Sometimes you get cheap tat that breaks - been there too.
I’d guess there are probably a fair percentage of forum member who originally came to amlogic (libreelec) because it runs so well on cheap boxes. There’s definitely one (me!).

Seems to me from what I’ve gathered in reading up on this stuff the Amlogic products give you the best bang for the buck. The SBCs are still inexpensive and perform better than RPi. To get more more power than that you have to jump up to a class that’s quite a bit more expensive.

I’ve got 5 of the (quite similar) Odroid C2s. Only two (well, now one that I have an N2) serve as media players. One of the others runs remarkably well as an Armbian TVHeadend server (more stable than the Pi3 that was doing the job previously). Another runs Emby on Armbian; also solid as a rock. If you’ve got the space on your switch/router, make use of them and take a load off your Media boxes.

Yeah cool, I’ll see if I can come up with a job for the extra box. TVHeadend sounds like something I can use.