The Future: Older S905*/S912 based devices and mainline

You need to connect the stick to the AVR and AVR to TV.

perfect… thanks for that info.

What I find difficult to understand is why people even want Mainline support for these chips.
Without vendor support any effort to mainline support for these chips will guarantee a poorer performance than the vendor kernel.
Look at the pathetic level of support that you get for Nvidea GPU’s in mainline - and they have been working on that project for over a decade. Only zealots actually use it because of the performance hit involved. Compare that to Intel GPU support in Linux with Intel actually doing almost all the heavy lifting to get it as good as the Windows support.

When these chips achieve passable support they will be redundant - as they almost are already.

ARM and AMLogic will never support the mainlining of their products unless RISC-V looks like serious commercial competition.

Other projects have distanced themselves from the vendor kernels for their own political reasons - don’t follow them down their rabbit hole.

Shoog

2 Likes

I guess you mean Nouveau driver. Well, that’s true. However, amd and intel gpus are good in mainline. But I agree, arm/amlogic mainline will behave similar as nvidia on pc, barely working.