Unsupported Amlogic S922X TV Boxes Watchlist

I don’t have experience with the S912, but I’m sure that S922X will be considerably faster than the S912 in just about everything.
It has twice CPU power in both single and multithreading. The GPU may be only 20% faster in compute, but considering we’re using libhybris to get it to work with CE probably carries a significant performance hit. In addition, compute performance doesn’t translate 1:1 to 3D performance, which is the important part for the Kodi GUI.

2 Likes

one of the nice things about the gpu is that is supports vulkan. Vulkan support will likely come to kodi in the future, it could end up being vulkan only much further in to the future too.

2 Likes

I See this board has a IR receiver, can you power On and Off the board using a IR remote in CE?

The N2 yes, other boards are needing a working u-boot for the wake up features.

2 Likes

My only use of a box is kodi:

• allow access to video files stored on different locations.
  • group and present these video files graphically.
  • play these video files with the best possible quality.

CoreElec fulfills all these functions up to the decoding of films in 4k HDR10.

If new boxes with new processors arrive, i will be more interested in their decoding capabilities (Dolby Vision, HDR10+, AV1, AC4, HFR) than by their speed to update or browse kodi.

1 Like

And me, both.

1. DV, HDR10+, AV1, h266, AC4, HFR…
  2. And GUI cleaner, more responsive and fluid (60fps, QMS, QFT, ALLM… )

:sunny:

the S905X2 and S922X both can decode dolby vision and hdr10+ according to specs, whether or not kodi currently supports that is another matter. AV1 will decode in a future kodi version but you can only software decode with current chips, so only low resolution videos. Dolby AC-4 audio support is currently being worked on in ffmpeg i read so that will be added to kodi likely this year. VVC codec a.k.a H.266 is going to be released in 1.5yrs btw, that will be far better than AV1 but will be patented.

1 Like

I’m still hesitating between the ODROID N2 and the Beelink GT1-King, I think I’m going to the King for location reasons. However, is the N2 already fully functional? If so, which version of CoreElec should you install on the Micro Sd?

HDR10+ is only relevant for Samsung, Panasonic and Phillips TVs and some other niche brands, as far as I’m aware. Only the new Panasonic OLED TV supports both DV and HDR10+, so I don’t understand why you would need both HDR10+ AND DV.
DV is unlikely to happen on CE unless someone upstream will manage to implement and get it to work.
I’m unable to test HDR10+ support, so can’t comment on that.
HDR10 and HLG both work on the N2.

Currently we don’t have plans to support generic boxes, so if you want CE, generic boxes are not what you want to buy, at least at this point in time.

No, CE on the N2 is still not feature complete. It still has some issues, so the first release will have an Alpha status.
The new image will be ready late Tuesday or Wednesday.

Regarding the new codecs and formats, don’t get ahead of yourself. From the specs the S922X doesn’t support any of these new formats, specifically AV1 and H266. It’s also more than a year out, and probably much longer than that til we start seeing good quality content in that format.

3 Likes

As things stand we will not be supporting future S905X2 or S922X Android set top boxes.

We want to offer users the best possible experience and support we can and we can only do that by adding support for devices that we actually own.

As it stands the only newer generation device that any of the Team own is the Odroid N2 and that is why we are focusing solely on that device for now.

3 Likes

Hello adamg

first of all, thanks again for allowing us to run CE on cheap S905X/S912 boxes.

I understand your last comment about “boxes that devs actually own”.
Does it mean you would/could support future cheap S922X boxes if users can provide them ?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

2 Likes

I think you will have to wait for a kszaq to do that. I don’t think any of the official developers are interested in cheap boxes as they have now received mainstream status upon receipt of sponsorship from hardkernel.

While one box with one developer might be enough to get something sort of working, to actually support a device properly several developers will need to have the device. Some support from the manufacturer of a device also goes a long way to enabling proper support for a device. Especially when some of these devices represent a brand new device to the project and not a yet another clone of something we already support.

Different developers work on different parts of CoreELEC, so support for some features would suffer if there is only one developer with the device. There are also situations where because this is something we do in our spare time that relying on only one developer with the device might mean long delays in fixing problems or adding new features for a device if that one developer has unexpected real world commitments eat up all their spare time.

Since we would like all our users to have the same experience and same level of support, and none of us like releasing code that we can’t properly test. Limiting official support to devices several of us actually have seems like the best way to achieve this.

We have had numerous difficulties in supporting some s905/s912 devices because of the previous approach taken to supporting them. It’s preferred that we don’t repeat some of the same problems from the past with the newer devices.

8 Likes

Who want to develop anything for a box with fake ram, or wifi modul without source, etc.?

1 Like

If the pricing projections are anything like the Beelink GT1 King ($120-130) then it would make no sense for anybody to want to buy one over an N2.

do we know whether there will be an odroid s905x2 based board, i think i read that there was going to but possibly cancelled? The odroid n2 is nice for a pc but rather overkill for kodi, hoping they make an s905x2 based sbc.

@spaceship9876 hardkernel made some internal samples of an s905x2 based board, I believe they refered to it as the c3. However they decided not to pursue the project any further then that.

I believe they determined that it was not a worth while project, since features/performance for the price they could deliver it for did not compare favorably to the c2 and other products on the market.

Amlogic also had some production issues with the s905x2 early on that might have also contributed to hardkernel deciding not to market an s905x2 based device.

Overkill at this price point?

N2 looks very promising, but I’m missing optical SPDIF connector supported on good-old AML S9xx tvboxes.
Not sure whether the USB could be used for sending the audio to my external stereo DAC.
Are some audio-HAT hardware modules compatible with N2?