Upgrade failed to starting from 8.90.3 - wetek hub

I have delete the 8.90.4 file wich was automaticly download and copied a manuel downloaded 8.90.3 .tar file to the .update folder and reboot.And the it shows me the same issu like the update to 8.90.4 or what do you mean exactly

Don’t put any files in the Update folder. There are a number of Wetek devices that don’t update correctly.
Copy the files from the extracted 8.90.4 TAR archive to the root of the SD card and rename Kernel to kernel.img. Rename Kernel.md5 to Kernel.img.md5. You will probably need to delete the existing files with same name before the copy/rename.
The system files already have the correct name/extension when extracted, the Kernel files not.

1 Like

By the way, could the missing .img extension be the cause of the troubles?

Thanks to your post I did it. Update succes! Thanks again!

Same issue here.
Any idea when this gets offially fixed?

I will do a test build tonight for people to try, if it works I will do another release.

Running CE 8.90.3 on my Wetek Play 2 without any bigger issue. Tried to update via autoupdate function to 8.90.4. When rebooting, I get message:

Missing (target) kernel.img or /SYSTEM!

And system boots again into 8.90.3

Tried to manually place the updatefile https://github.com/CoreELEC/CoreELEC/releases/download/8.90.4/CoreELEC-S905.arm-8.90.4.tar to /storage/.update … but result is the same.

Any hints on this?

br,
Alex

P.S. Running from 16GB SD card. Having 13.3GB free under mountpoint /storage

Just found this thread: Upgrade failed to starting from 8.90.3 - wetek hub

will start reading it.

Test build available here, let me know if those of you who have trouble flashing can flash this successfully.

Please note running devel builds will mean you will not receive updates until you flash an official release again.

Tried to remotely install the update. Can’t see the update screen. After remote login, system states it’s still 8.90.3.

So I’m unsure if update is working. Shouldn’t the system report something else than 8.90.3 after update to this dev-version?

Yes it should but if you tried to install remotely then your not going to know whether it attempted to even install the update.

I could update from your test build without problems.

Copied the .tar into .update, reboot. No error message during boot. One message about something with dirty bit, but could not read it completely, seems not to be important.

ssh login tells me now: CoreELEC (official): devel-1530071184 (S905.arm)

What was the problem?

Changes in LibreELEC that we pulled across that seemed to break updating for people installed on external.

You’re right. But it’s unlikely that coreelec will not try to update (at least from my experience). Now I’m back at home and tried to update with the tar you just provided.
Issue is still the same. update not possible, same error message, same behavior: Continue boot to old 8.90.3

Is there anything I can report that helps identifying the issue?

Strange that it worked for me, but not for you. The only difference I see us that you still update from 8.90.3 and I have updated before (copying files to SD-card) to 8.90.4

I can confirm that the devel version isn’t updating correctly either. To make sure I first went back to 8.90.3. Then put the devel tar in update folder: same error message, missing {target} kernel.img.
Went back to release 8.90.4 by copying/renaming the files manually.