What do you love/hate about CoreELEC?

I wish CoreELEC was a linux distro like Arch :slight_smile:
I would love to see Fluxbox or XFCE running on our devices

Thereā€™s an obvious thing to say about Coreelec. I didnā€™t follow all the ins and outs of what went on over at Libreelec, but I do feel that those of us owning amlogic devices would have been sort of left in the lurch if the Coreelec team had not taken the steps that they did take. Not that anybody owes us anything, but having jumped down the amlogic route, itā€™s good to feel that there is ongoing work that will keep us up to date.

2 Likes

New user here and I love the idea that AML folks are supported - still donā€™t get why the LE folks dumped it.

Biggest headache is perhaps the ease of finding stuff (even similar) stuff across the forum .

Our use of keywords could be better and maybe find a way to enforce keyword usage to help narrow down stuff on searches. Iā€™ve been all over the place chasing stuff downā€¦ some of it red herrings .

Overall layout of the forum is good - does it have Tapatalk support ? I didnā€™t find it if it does.

And kudos to all the devs and others who support this.

Due to issues with the network card I havenā€™t yet got it fully up and working but I know it will get thereā€¦

I Love CoreElec! I have big respect for your work and time for this project.

The MP3/Music section is realy confused, but this is a Kodi thing or?
On PC i use Winamp ever :wink: i like it simple.

And the options section, is a bit to simple. i wont more information, over the functions.
Or give it a detailed FAQ over this?

Anytime Coreelec says new Update, im so happy :slight_smile:

Ahh i forget; im a stats junkie hehe. i miss the old Info on top running the screnn if you look a movie, it showĀ“s info CPU usage, RAM, Audio, FPS, Codec etc. its gone?

Directory listings can take minutes in Kodi where ls is instant. Can we suppress statx for certain folders or something else to speed this up? I donā€™t really understand why raw file browsing is so slow.

There is a package manager: https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/what-is-entware-and-how-to-install-uninstall-it/1149

CE doesnā€™t use remote.conf at all :thinking:

Hate:
Slow file-manager/whatever browsing. Its like Kodi wants to show the dumb animation which takes 1s even if the request takes 0.1ms
runs kodi as root, cant we please switch this to user kodi instead?
Lacks a package manager, ro /, cant we use pacman or apk or whatever?

Like:
DTS and audio passthrough, smooth video playback, Leia with games.

Like:

audio pass through, stability, snappy menus, stability, emulation, did i mention stability?

hate (hate is a bit strong IMO, more like minor irk)

no browser support, having to boot back to droid to use Chromeā€¦

Lack of of reliable cross-platform archive support (many (but not all) movies scanned in to my shared MySQL library on windows / android device donā€™t work (file not found) in coreelec (i have vfs for archive and rar addons installed in coreelec - coreelec adds these movies a second time when i scan for new content / update library, the original library entry gives file not found and the new entry made by coreelec, some play, some donā€™t) similar applies in reverse - archive files added by coreelec are not recognized in win or droid.