Workaround for multiple instances of the same add-on?

Hi, I have a question regarding add-ons in CoreElec.

Currently I am using the tvheadend PVR add-on with Coreelec, it works really good. However, because I have two different tvheadend backends I would like to have two different tvheadend clients in Kodi, each one connected to a different backend and running simultaneously.

I achieved this by doing the following:

1. In /storage/.kodi/addons, copy pvr.hts to pvr.hts2
  2. In /storage/.kodi/addons/pvr.hts2 change add-on id to “pvr.hts2” and name to a different name
  3. In /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data, copy pvr.hts to pvr.hts2
  4. In /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/pvr.hts2, modify settings to connect to another backend
  5. Deactivate and Reactive add-ons from Kodi

The above works fine, but once I restart Kodi I can only see channels from one add-on (pvr.hts2) appearing duplicated. So I believe that the above may not be enough.

Is there any other way or any other modification I should make to run multiple instances of the the add-on simultaneously, and that would work even after a reboot?

Thanks in advance.

Just out of curiosity, may I ask you why you’re running 2 tvh servers?

@Vasco I have two servers in two different countries

That’s a good reason, let’s see if someone can help you out with that. Have you thought of extracting one tvh list as iptv to the other server or using that list in iptv simple client?

@Vasco Thanks. At first I thought of doing that, but discarded it as it could have latency and reliability issues if the server merging the backends goes down. I also want to manage recordings via tvh in case I want to see them with my phone.

Another solution is to share the tuner altogether with minisatip and use only one tvh server.

Maybe you can like my solution. I have two CoreELEC devices equipped with TV tuners, the main one is at home but the secondary one is 250 km away (different region and language). I use a single TV server, the one at home. The secondary sends the TV channels to the main via minisatip service.

All CoreELEC devices inside and outside the home (servers and clients) are linked by the zerotier service network. Nor do I have any problem of access to TV, multimedia, or remote ssh/sftp configuration of any devide through my tablet or smartphone, for this I use the android apps: zerotier-one, x-plore, connect bot, and kodi.

My custom command in the tvheadend addon on the main server to receive the TV channels sent from minisatip is:

–satip_xml http://zerotier-ip-for-minisatip-server:9999/desc.xml

Thanks @Vasco @cubimol. Will look into minisatip, sounds like a great option.

@cubimol @Vasco Tried setting this up like you stated. It does seem to work but the video stream is full of block noise and tvh reports lots of uncontinuity errors…
Could you please share the options you pass to minisatip? @cubimol

I have installed the minisatip service for more than two months and it works very well for me.

If it also works for you, even if it is with errors, it is that you have it well configured. Errors can come from an unreliable and unstable internet connection: mobile network, DSL network, … With a fiber optic internet connection better than 30 Mbps you should have no problem.

I only used it in internal network. You need some reliable internet in both locations… Normally the problem is the upload part

I have optical fiber with 50Mbps in both locations so internet speed is not an issue…

Setting this option in the tuner settings for the minisatip client in TVH solved all my issues. I have no idea why I need this though…

1 Like

This ensures to use Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP) and Audio-Video Protocol (AVP) for low jitter data transfer, which is essential for streaming. ( see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time_Transport_Protocol).
With standard protocol you may encounter stutter during streaming, but still ok for data transfer of a recording (jitter doesn’t matter).

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense. I wonder why something this essential for streaming is disabled by default…

In my case it is the same to enable or disable RTP/AVP/TCP (embedded data) on the tvheadend server. It always works well. In fact this has to be disabled in another SAT>IP tuner in local network for it to work, but for minisatip it doesn’t seem to be important.