1080p HDR problem, 10 bit video stutter

I’m not sure why the TV can play it from the internal player in HDR, but not through CE, but I’ve tried it on my LG TV and can confirm that it’s working perfectly fine for me. Although I am using a new build, maybe try the latest nightly and see if there’s any difference.

In regards to 8/10 bit thing. Nothing is being expanded. The signal to the TV is 10 bits, but the video is still 8 bits. There is no dithering going on.

1 Like

it’s very strange, but now suddenly the HDR file plays fine, I get HDR indicator on my TV, and the colors look good.
don’t really know what I did, I had a lot of testing going on yesterday involving rebooting the streamer, restarting kodi, sending various cec commands, editing cron jobs, restarting the TV/AVR (which I did plenty times before and it didn’t change the outcome).
is there any debug log I can take now, and the next time it doesn’t work, to help understand the reason?

8 bit video is often played at 10 bits or 12 bits. The 8 bits take the 8 highest bits and the 2 or 4 least significant bits that take you to 10 or 12 bits are just padded with zeroes usually.

1 Like

Greetings,
I have the same problem with 1080p HDR content describet in post. My 1080p HDR content is wahsed out, 4K HDR is OK everytime. I tried sample in this topic and it is the same problem. Only workaround I have found it is force coreelec with “Limit display colour depth to 8-bit” - then 1080p HDR content is OK. Tried at AML S912 and AML S905X2 with same problem.
When “Limit display colour depth to 8-bit” is Disabled (picture washed out) log here: http://ix.io/284t
When “Limit display colour depth to 8-bit” is Enabled (picture ok) log here: http://ix.io/284w

1 Like

Cannot post more than two links. So here is photo of my “Samsung UE65NU8002” TV:
When “Limit display colour depth to 8-bit” is Disabled (picture washed out) Photo of TV: https://photos.app.goo.gl/vzQsyLd5r4igrQ729
When “Limit display colour depth to 8-bit” is Enabled (picture ok) Photo of TV: https://photos.app.goo.gl/f5E6rrExuH6Cn2k87
You can see big difference in KODI UI colors (blue) too when playing sample.

1 Like

I also found that the correct display of 1080p HDR also can be done by enabling “Use 4:2:2 color subsampling” setting in “Settings - System - Coreelec”.

Edit: Is it a bug or feature? I think, it is not right behavior, or may I send it somewhere else? Btw what do you mean is better atm - enable 8-bit or 4:2:2?

1 Like

I still see the issue in the nightlies (1080p HDR content is washed out).
can someone look at this?
what logs can I provide?
@ mlebeda
like you, I also found that enabling “Use 4:2:2 color subsampling” setting in “Settings - System - Coreelec” makes 1080p HDR be detected successfully by the TV.
I’m not sure what the consequences are though. don’t know what this options does.

1 Like

There are no issues with HDR that we are aware of.

I understand that, but I’m seeing the issue for sure :slight_smile:
maybe it’s my setup, or my device, so is there anything I can do to get this resolved?

Not that I can think of. Could be a bad cable or the TV needs the ultra deep color option enabled on the hdmi input the box is connected to.

a bad cable doesn’t really makes sense, 4K HDR works fine…
also that option (HDMI UHD Color) is already activated.
and since I’m not alone in this issue I’m pretty sure it’s not my TV or my cables, but the box itself (magicsee n5 max - s905x2) or something in CE regarding this hardware…

1 Like

It is a known issue with Samsung TVs requiring the use of 4:2:2 chroma in order to work right at 4K resolutions. It also happens with some AVRs.
I’ve not heard of any such issues with LG TVs, I have an LG B7 and it works fine with 4K and 1080P HDR content without any issues, without 4:2:2 chroma, but it also works fine with this option enabled. In my setup it makes no difference. It’s possible that your model is different, and requires some tweaking to get it to work, I don’t even know what TV and AVR models you have.

it’s samsung nu7100, and yamaha v383.
but I don’t have any issues with 4k hdr. it’s only 1080p hdr content that I need to use that option with.

Could be a TV or AVR thing, I’m not sure.
Whatever the case may be, the CE side works fine.

For me - Coreelec box is connected directly to TV. And as mentioned before - I have only 1080p 10-bit HDR problem. Everything else works fine.

Sounds like a compatibility issue with Samsung TVs.
In Samsung TVs 4:2:2 chroma option is often needed for things to work as expected.

I can confirm the problem (Odroid N2, Samsung Q9FN). I was able to solve the problem by disabling the 1080 23.976 Hz, 24 Hz, 29.94 Hz, 25 Hz and 30 Hz modes. If the output is in 60 Hz, my TV switches to HDR - even at 1920x1080. In UHD resolution, everything runs smoothly with HDR.

1 Like

Interesting. This really does sound like a widespread firmware issue.

yes. seems like a Samsung issue :rage:
I don’t trust this will change anytime soon.

I’m trying to think of a workaround that won’t impact other videos, and won’t require reboots etc.
is there a way to change allowed display modes using a script without reboot?

You can use the whitelist in Kodi.