19.0-Matrix Discussion

@tasinofan Thank you, it has helped. Your librespot binary works!

1 Like

Thatā€™s wrong. Standard is 3840x2160. All the higher ones are not ok.

Beautiful. So you guys even managed to upgrade my hardware with Matrix? :wink:
Confusedā€¦ Iā€™ve been able to receive the ce-debug in the meantime and added it to my post above. Maybe that gives further insights whatā€™s going on hereā€¦

Are you sure you had this resolution in CE before?

Frankly, not anymore. I remember that I had a 50Hz and 49.xHz options at the highest resolution, so it ā€œfeltā€ resolutions were missing, but it may well be that I have two too much now.

Iā€™ve just checked the specs of my LG OLED 7B and it is advertised with 3840 x 2160p resolution only. On the other hand, Iā€™ve found posts stating that LGs can accept 4096x2160p resolutions, too, e.g. here:

Not sure this helpsā€¦

Really I donā€™t know TVā€™s that have real DCI 4k matrix, so you donā€™t receive 4096x2160 without some stretching. So even if it supports this resolution best picture for 4K video you could receive with original HDMI resolution - 3840x2160.
Also I donā€™t see this smpte DCI 4K resolutions with 50/60Hz in 9.2.6 build.
So I recommend you to forget about it and use original 3840x2160 as maximum resolution.

It can do 4096x2160 (so can my Oled from LG). But only for 1-2 refresh rates. I have not seen content for 4096x2160 and only for UHD resolution. I see no benefit especially if you consider that everything over 30Hz wonā€™t work due to hdmi spec.

That would actually fit to my observations of the screen blacking out I described earlier. OK, so should I only whitelist the 3840x2160p and 1080p resolutions then to make sure those ā€œghostā€ resolutions are not creating problems down the road?

Sure. There are full logs above though, both with and without force refresh. What is a ce-debug log though? Is that a switch somewhere? Itā€™s not documented in your how to post a log guide, right?

Iā€™m new to Coreelec. Waiting for my Ugoos AM6 plus to arrive. Does this build support Dolby Vision in ISO/BDMV or do I need to remux to MKV? Thanks!

I did by ssh to my N2+ :
cd .update
wget https://github.com/CoreELEC/CoreELEC/releases/download/19.0-Matrix/CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-19.0-Matrix-Odroid_N2.img.gz
sync
reboot
Then once updated to Matrix 19, I reset the setting in Coreelec to default.Install back my addons and all is working fine.

No support for Dolby Vision. Ask your vendor to release s dovi.ko for 64bit kernel then we can implement it. dovi.ko is a kernel module to activate Dolby Vision. It seems to be proprietary and closed source. I made Dolby Vision work in GUI with the Minix box but I needed to build a very stripped down 32bit kernel and copy this dovi.ko from Android. Minix doesnā€™t want to help us getting this module due to NDAā€™s.

So it is technically possible that it works on licensed SoCā€™s but we need a vendor commited to support this in CE too.

Switching to pure 32bit builds is very complicated.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. So there is no possible solution to play back both Dolby Vision and Atmos pass through on a licensed SoC?
Android will do DV, but not Atmos.
CE will do Atmos, but not DV.

If thatā€™s right then thatā€™s frustrating!

As I said it is possible with lots of changes and I posted somewhere a photo running a proof of concept implementation. But I never tested any further. I had a bit of time during Christmas vacation but I donā€™t have the time anymore to put in a lot of work. We donā€™t have many users with licensed SoCā€™s and it is not worth the trouble changing architecture of the kernel for a ā€œnicheā€ feature. Not to mention that I have no idea if it were legal to ship this closed source module. Thats why Iā€™d really like to get a vendor on board with this. Because for instead Ugoos or Minix have Amlogic contacts and could most likely get us a 64bit dovi.ko and this could be added faster.

I would argue itā€™s not a ā€œnicheā€ request. Yes, perhaps not many have the required SoC but if it were widely known the hardware and software requirements across the general community then there would be demand. I am simply a user who wants both DV and Atmos and after lots of research has led me down this path and to this post.
I have sent a message to Ugoos with your specific technical request. Letā€™s see what they say.
Can I ask what is your role? Do you contribute to the Coreelec code? You say that it require a lot of effort to create a 32bit branch of Coreelec. Can you elaborate how much effort? In absence of vendor support for the required 64bit library, It would be great if we could get a working 32 bit releaseā€¦

This video played by the official Vimeo Kodi addon makes my TV switch to 4096x2160/24Hz:

My Sony 4K TV displays it as native 3840x2160 with 2 little stripes on sides cut off (at least the Kodi GUI is cut off). The TV OSD is showing 4096x2160/24Hz.

Iā€™m on CE 9.2.5 running on GT King Pro (S922X rev. B SoC).

can i ask what was changed in the build as i was having a cec handshaking issue and the build solved my problem it seems

Iā€™m just a CE user.
Requires to change a lot of code. It will most likely break DVB support for internal tuners. It will most likely break playback of some decoders. It will probably break smooth playback (PTS calculation is based on 64bit iirc). All those things would have to be fixed. We would go back to pre alpha state from one nightly to another. DVB internal would most likely never work again.

Thats why I say itā€™s not worth for a ā€œnicheā€ feature. Even though I say ā€œnicheā€ I would personally still want it, but in the current stage it breaks too much.

Iā€™m not a coder, so perhaps I donā€™t appreciate the effort that would be required however I truly believe that there would be significant demand for any combination of hardware and software that would enable DV and Atmos playback, even if it meant the features you mention wouldnā€™t work for now

Is AAC encoders not supported anymore? I have CoreELEC 9.2.6 on old kernel on a S905X box decoding AAC correctly. Testing Matrix with nextgen kernel and no audio coming out for AAC.