4K playback issue with LG TV[Resolved N2 Hardware Failure]

I don’t believe that any software can fix obvious hardware fault…

Yes, I’m afraid that may be the case.
I guess I need to get something else. Any suggestions?

Sorry, but it´s no software issue -> hardware fault/HDMI port damaged)
Looks like contact/mechanical problem

That was my initial thought as well. The suggestions I got was to try and change to better cables. I already had one that was overqualified (Club 3D Ultra High Speed cable) and was working when I first got the device but when and got a bunch of others just in case.
As I expected it didn’t do much good, so faulty hardware must be it.
What I’m unsure of is, if the socket is faulty, wouldn’t it be expected fail with lower resolutions than 4K HDR/SDR as well? 1080 (including 1080 HDR) and under work just fine. I suppose it works differently due to handshakes or something (I’m not really an expert).

Lower resolution needs lower bandwith.
There are three parts:
HDMI Port TV
HDMI Port N2
HDMI cable

You replaced HDMI cable
HDMI N2 port could not be replaeced
You can use another HDMI TV port

Tried all 4 HDMI ports on the TV.

https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=35998&p=267295#p267295
https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=35222

Looks like I’m not the first one to have issues.

https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/hardkernel-shopping-direct-limited-warranty/6696/1
I bought mine from ameridroid but they have the same kind of 30 days warranty.

Since the HDMI port is very “crowded” with 19 contact points on almost same size as USB with only 4 contact points, I’d try a mobile phone repair/service shop and have them clean and inspect the port’s physical contacts. If they are all OK then there is nothing you can do more, only send it back to HK.

Thanks for your suggestion. I may do that.
Sending it back pretty much means throwing it away from previous experiences reported.
Maybe ameridroid would be more responsive than HK.

please report back when you take some action. i guess it would be very interesting (for me, other n2 owners and potential n2 owners) if there is something bad going on and they just refuse any help.
also if you find someone (i love watching rossman group on youtube :D) who fixed the problem it would be very kind to also report that back!

Happy to do that.

A friend of mine bought the device for me so I have to either ask him to contact them being the person who bought it or add my email to his account so do contact them myself.

You can take a look at kostaman’s thread I linked to earlier on the experience he had with HK. In a nutshell, it “went bad” post the 30 days warranty, they said sent it back so we can check it, then said CPU cannot be replaced, so they can’t repair it, and if he wants it back as it is, he has to pay for shipping.
Therefore my expectations are not high. Unless ameridroid are more friendly.

Unless they can guarantee to send a new one instead, I see 0 point to send it back and pay for shipping back and forth. The whole thing costs like $65 + shipping, and I already spent 1/2 that on getting various cables. I’d rather just look to buy something else that may not go bust after 3 months.

I think this thread should probably be moved back to the N2 board where it originally started.

I get occasional vision drop-outs with my N2 running CoreElec nightlies. I get this in both 1080p and 2160p output mode and when playing video and when just in the GUI.

On one occasion it seemed to happen on two identical sequences encoded at different bitrates (I was doing some HEVC 10-bit testing) - which made me think it was content related, but as it happens when not in playback, I suspect it isn’t that.

As my TV triggers it’s OSD briefly - it looks like it may be an HDMI sync/clock issue. (ISTR there were HDMI issues with the C1 in the early days caused by HDMI phase/clock issues) The C1 also had HDMI hardware issues ISTR (fixed in the C1+)

I’ve seen a few reports of N2’s failing - which is a real pity. I bought mine from a UK vendor so have UK/EU protection on my purchase should it fail.

Yes it is a real pity cause I like it.
I have to look for something else now, not sure what. Everything has something I don’t like or missing.
VIM3 Pro looks ok but it’s a pretty premium price in comparison, and it looks like I would need to do some DIY/Ikea style assembling which I don’t like. And who’s to say it won’t fail too.
I may end up in mainstream land and get an NV Shield which I really don’t want to do.

I’ve got a Nvidia Shield and very rarely use it. It’s used as an Emby Server and that’s about it.
Kodi using Android is not as user friendly as CE.
You may look at the Vim3L Kit which comes assembled.
I have one of those as well as the Vim3 Pro.
Real world usage between the Vim3 Pro and Vim3L is hardly noticeable for me.
12 Months warranty is about as good as it gets for SBC hardware from Khadas.

Thanks for your suggestion, kostaman.
The Vim3L seems to come with Amlogic S905D3 which sounds like an older chip, no? I’d rather have a newer one. I get lost with all their chipsets. The assembled part is attractive though. I’m sure I can assemble it myself but I rather not. They make those things so small it’s like it’s meant for a 4 year old. My eyes are not as good as they used to be and fiddling with miniatures is not something I enjoy :stuck_out_tongue:
I took me 3h of frustration to realise the mSD card on the N2 comes separate in a tiny bag. I didn’t find it at first.
Meanwhile I send an email to ameridroid, I’m not very optimistic but will see what happens.
I have 0 experience with Kodi on AndroidTV. I used XMBC and later Kodi on Windows for many years, and the experience with CE on N2 has been mostly positive too. I like a box that boots straight into Kodi rather than go through AndroidTV first, also like to use a remote I have an am used to which I’m unsure if it will work on Shield. Getting burned on N2 though gives me pause on trying other such boards.

Should help explain the chips a bit more. See link here
Real world use as a HTPC / media player the Vim3L will not be so slow compared to the Vim3
The hardware used by Khadas is superior to most other vendors.

Ok thanks.
I may be overthinking it, I just like to buy the latest/more robust as I don’t want to have to replace stuff and want it to last.
I talked to Khadas support, they are happy to send me an assembled kit. Just that CE doesn’t have a rom for Vim3 yet. Can get it with Android and LE and change it later.

Sorry where did you get this information? because this is not true.

khadas chat on their site.
Direct quote: “I contact our engineer just now. They reply that the CE team are working on VIM3, so we have not CE for VIM3 now.”