Amlogic S905X3, S905Y3, S905D3 thread

Yes, that helped. Now it plays just fine: hevc, 8192x4096, 23.976 fps, 138356 kbps

Cpu temperarure gets higher - 74-75 °C but no overheat

This is not true, if the CPU is hitting 74-75 then it is overheating and there will be thermal throttling. You may not see any effect but that is why it throttles to stop the CPU falling over under heavy load.
AMLogic new thermal limits are quite conservative.

Shoog

I see no any performance decreased. Similar temperature is reached while watching 4k/hevc 60 fps. 1080i/50 fps is usually 65-67 °C

Is there any way to determine when throttling is used? I’ve always assumed temperature below 80°C is safe

If you put your governor to performance and then watch your CPU frequency in your settings tab you will see it rise up to about 1.9ghz, this is its max frequency and it should stick on 1.9ghz indefinately. If you then run your high bitrate content with a heavy skin open you will see your temp rise up to 75C, at this point your CPU frequency will start to jump down to 1.7ghz and then back up to 1.9ghz. This is what throttling looks like.

With rare exceptions all of these cheap boxes are inadequately cooled and need modification to give of their best.

Shoog

Well, I even reached 1000 Mhz at 75 °C. Although, as long as movie is on full screen, not in the background, it does not affect playback smoothness. But with settings shown on screen to see current temperature and cpu frequency, movie playback in background is not smooth anymore

I have no idea how to provide better cooling

You have thermal throttling. There is an excellent thread on DIY thermal mods which can be found in this forum, some mods are more demanding than others. Surprisingly playing media in full screen is not that demanding since it relies on decoder cores which are optimised for the job, the most demanding thing the chip does is draw the GUI.

By adding cooling holes and a lazy fan I brought my X96Air down from throttling averages of 70C to stable 40-50C.

Shoog

Do you think temperatrures like 75 °C are still safe? Most time I’m on 1080p/i 50 fps and temperature is a bit below 70,. As I can see, throttling starts at 73-75.

I will also look at temperature when playing Netflix 1080p, VP9 SW decoded. It’s smooth on full screen, I think it will be around 70 too

As I suggested the AMLogic throttling settings are now rather conservative so you can probably rest easy that the chip will survive. However in demanding situations such as netflix decoding I would expect a performance hit.

I personally feel that I want my chips to be running at full performance (governor setting) and still not overheating.

Shoog

Btw does anybody own Vontar X3? Or maybe some other with S905X3. Analog audio not working bothers me a bit. I see no audio output settings on default Android software. How is that supposed to work? Auto switch when jack connector inserted?

Can anybody test? If it’s damaged, dispute should be open. Other possibility I’ve damaged it by myself when trying to boot in recovery mode, but I don’t believe it’s even possible.

Or there’s no analog av present at all and only digital mini toslink jack is there. Manual only says about “av”, whatever it means. I’m not sure how do I check that

On my Vontar X3, after inserting the AV jack, the audio output plays fine.

Ok, I figured it out. Indeed audio plays fine from analog source, but hdmi audio plays simultaneously. I’m not sure why. My tv still plays sound from built in speakers, even when I connect audio jack and select analog output in Kodi settings. I think hdmi audio should be deactivated if not selected as active output

Fix will be in next nightly.

1 Like

Please update if it fixed the issue.

I have no idea, I’m on stable Coreelec now

I can confirm, 8k works fine on 9.2.6 stable

Hey guys,

I asked here a few months ago for a S905X3 box suggestion. X96 Max was the one suggested by most, but I’m now on my second order of this box and two different stores tell me they’re out of stock on AliExpress.

Is there another box you guys might suggest? I’m not looking for more than 32/4GB, I think that’s good enough.

Thanks!

X88 pro x3

1 Like

is quite popular at the moment in german kodinerds forum. It costs a little over 30€. The box supports gbit LAN and ac-wifi.

2 Likes

Mine is 100Mbps and It says right in the description at the link you posted that it’s 100Mbps. Solid little box though. I don’t have a need for Gbit LAN anyway.

I don’t know what to tell, you, except that this batch of boxes has GBit LAN. At least several users of the german kodinerds forum say so.