Amlogic S905X4

What about this?

Exemplary specs (excerpted):

● Quad Core 64-bit CPU
● 4Kp60 10-bit H.265; 4Kp60 VP9 Profile2 Decoding
● HDMI 2.1, CEC, HDCP2.2
● Streaming Protocol: RTCP, RTMP, RTP, RTSP,UDP, HTTP, DASH, HLS, Smooth streaming
● DRM: Widevine, Playready; Verimatrix Optional
● Air Remote: Can using the android and iOS mobile phone to control

DV8919

Anyone has a “roadmap” chart, as in the good old days for S805 -> S912 SoCs?
What do you think about S905X4 and further?

This is the roadmap for the next generation of AML SOC’s and the DV8919 was also discussed here.

We have to wait and see just how much of an improvement the X4 will yield.

S905X4 is still a ways off.

Don’t let seeing advertising from oem manufactures and design houses fool you. They are not advertising to end users but to companies who might want to develop a product based on the S905X4 but don’t have the design experience or manufacturing capability to do so. So it makes sense that they start advertising really early, usually before Amlogic even starts sampling the new SOC, because they are trying to get the attention of companies that want to launch a product 6 month to a year from now. So this is not really anything to get excited about. Most of these same companies had pages up advertising the S905X3 18 months ago as well, and we all know when S905X3 devices actually started getting sold.

The S905X4 will also only be yet another minor update. Just like the S905X3 was only a minor update over the S905X2.

The reality was there was only a marginal performance jump from X2 to X3 , with the main change been the addition of more decoders.
It’s very likely that x4 will similarly be the same basic chip with the addition of the vp9 decoder.

As such nothing to get excited about and not worth the upgrade.

Shoog

Mecool KM6 classic edition and deluxe edition boxes will be available to order on 30th October. They use the Amlogic S905X4 and come with Android TV 10: https://www.mecoolonline.com/collections/all/km6#MainContent

How does COMING SOON(End of October) == now available?

2 Likes

That something is essentially imminent is a sign of the next gen’s starting to trickle through.

Whilst the S905X4 offers only the tiniest of improvements in performance, there are other little updates that keep pace to some degree with some newer tech standards.

The hardware support for the open source AV1 codec is the main improvement but when AV1 becomes a mainstream codec could be a while away yet, especially with some of the expected patent trolls putting obstacles in the way and encoding times making those of H265 look like lightning in comparison.

If you are on the lookout for an S905X3 box then maybe a pause in purchasing is worth consideration to either bag a new model SOC or wait for the X3 prices start to reduce to make way on the stock benches.

Covid19 may well play a big part in just how fast ne tech becomes implemented on a global scale.

Seeing USB 2.0 on a 2020 device is a huge disappointment to me and I would like to see USB-C being adopted more universally on TV boxes and SBC’s.

I’m sure that we will see one of two YouTube reviews in the next couple of weeks from the usual suspects.

1 Like

As it seems, new S905X4​ devices may indeed be already around the corner.

I have just seen that the Ugoos X4 Cube with AMLogic Ugoos X4 Cube with AMLogic S905X4 / Mali-G31MP2 / 2GB RAM / 16GB eMMC / SPDIF / Mali-G31MP2 / 2GB RAM / 16GB eMMC / SPDIF is already shown on their website, but no product page and no listing in their official AliExpress store yet.

And info on CoreELEC support for S905X4 devices?

I don’t think samples have been sent out yet, and support cannot be offered till the CE team get samples. Unless you have a specific need for the extra Codex then I would be waiting.

Shoog

The Ugoos page has been there for quite a while.

Likely a marketing teaser to get the brand noticed.

Ugoos, has had those devices listed for almost a year. Other companies have also had S905X4 listed on their sites for almost as long. Companies will post early to get interest, especially companies like Ugoos who also do OEM work, since they are not advertising to you with this posting but advertising to companies that may want to get Ugoos to make an S905X4 based device for them to brand. S905X4 is late from original schedule, and may also still see some minor delays in getting into users hands. 2020 has not been a good year for anybody, and has had ripple effects across entire supply and logistics chains.

As for CoreELEC Support, this will happen when it happens. Since adding support for things like the new AV1 hardware decoding may take a bit of a deep dive to get going at 100% once we get samples. We may also be on our own for figuring out the software support as well depending on what partner companies can get us information and source code wise from amlogic, for supporting the new stuff.

I have just received a reply from Ugoos telling that they only have samples ready, but no software due to AMLogic not having released the X4 SDK yet. They expect it to take at least another 2 months, if not more.

2 Likes

I’m hoping for an Odroid C4 successor to use the S905X4.

Mecool haven’t starting selling the box yet even though they said it would be on sale on october 30th.

Not sure how many times it needs to be said, but all s905x4 are delayed.

Yes, there is still marketing out there like everything is running on schedule, but things are still delayed.

Has anyone heard of a new ETA? I was hoping to get one in time for christmas, that seems very unlikely now.

Christmas 2020 definitely won’t happen. S905X4 won’t be until some time next year.

It has appeared in the new Verizon Stream TV box, as reviewed in a test and teardown by ETA Prime on YT, so probably won’t be much longer to appear elsewhere.

mecool have their prices up - $70 for the KM6 classic and $110 for the deluxe. Both exclude shipping.

I picked up a new Verizon Stream TV Gen 2 on Mercari for $35 shipped, which is Widevine L1 and runs Netflix OOTB. They are giving these things away for free with new FIOS subscriptions so they should be able to be found dirt cheap. These boxes don’t support Dolby Vision so they are mostly useless to me as far as standard Android TV goes.

Looking forward to Coreelec support if possible.