Amlogic S905X5 (2024)

According to this post, the S905X5 should be available in 2 months (September 2024).

#Excited.

The bootlogo we have seen… :grinning:
When thats released by homatics, we will ask they, to enable to boot the CoreElec on that device too.
But the CE support will hang on CE team.

are these chipset going to be the successor to the one in Odroid N2+
want faster performance

Amlogic doesn’t do big steps, just a lot of one step forward and one step backward.

The A311D2 and S928X are both successors to the S922X in a way, just not giant leaps forward. The S905X5 (quad core) will probably be faster than the S922X in most ways. The S905X5M probably won’t be.

S922X was released like 6 years ago. how on earth they not got an update to that.
I love my Odroid N2+ but I would pay money just to have faster performance so I can load my movie lists faster (have 1000 or more in each)

Because the demand isn’t there. Most people are satisfied using $20-50 devices, or the OS that’s included with their TVs. If there was a big market for high-end specs Nvidia would have made another Shield.

Don´t understand.
My N2+ is fast enough and I have a lot of videos an music files to handle

A S905X cpu will not solve Your performance problem

I’m using addons, my files are not stored locally. I literally have 1000 items in a list that it loads. sometimes the wait it like 5 seconds which I rather cut down to 2 seconds. crazy how all tech has improved, node technology has improved , yet we still using 5 year old SOC

just checked the comparisons

it’s twice as fast?

That’s the original S905X (2016), there’s this for the the S905X5, but who knows if it’s accurate, the SOC isn’t available yet to test.

The S905X5 and S905X5M are also a bit different, the S905X5M is the mid-range version with slower CPUs.

It also depends on the addons. There are some pretty nasty addons out there. Maybe your N2+ is now a mining machine or maybe a bot for some bot farm somewhere, anywhere.

For me, the big thing this SoC will bring is h.266 (aka Versatile Video Coding or VVC) playback.

I’m using open source addons with their own github. I’m not a programmer so I won’t even be able to tell if it’s malicious but plenty of good programmers use the addon and would have raised any flags if it was doing something malicious.

I’ve used one such addon before. It was number 1 addon, then some company threatened him, so he put in the code to access the site once every time you use the addon. It was used by hundreds of thousands of users and that site got recked. another developer asked him why that code was their. he got found out and I think he left.

The dev wasn’t gaining anything from the addon, he spent long time creating the addon for free for users and he was very skilled, achieved things no other devs at the time could do.

to be honest even if the addon was used as a bot farm. I will still use it LOL I still get value from it

Interestingly, the new Chromecast will not be using this SoC, as was originally thought, but instead going with MediaTek MT8696.

Hopefully Homatics is still on track.