Battery connections on N2+ board

Just a short note to advise new users of the N2+ on a slight “gotcha” with regard to the installation of a CR2032 lithium cell on the board. I received my device with button cell pre-installed and I couldn’t seem to get the realtime clock set properly. I was getting low voltage on rtc warnings in dmesg. I discovered that the cell had been installed incorrectly and both the positive and negative contacts were touching the negative side of the battery. I just pushed the positive contacts up slightly and re-inserted the cell carefully to ensure the spring contact on the positive side was gripping correctly. If you look at the attached photos, ensure you slide the battery in from right to left and make sure the contacts grip the top positive edge of the battery.

5 Likes

What does the rtc do for CE? I have the N2 and that comes without the battery connection. Should I get it? What does it do?

//LD

CoreELEC gets the current time from an NTP server on the internet when it boots, so no Internet access == incorrect time on CoreELEC. With the RTC, you add a battery, and the device can remember the current time and not need to look it up on the internet when it starts up. So mostly handy for people who might not have an internet connection where they use their device.

1 Like

The N2 has a header connector on the board for plugging in a battery with pre-soldered wire connector. It’s not an essential requirement if you have internet connection as @cdu13a says.
Joe

1 Like

Great thanks. Yes, I knew about the header connector and that I could buy the pre-soldered wire connector from HK. I just didn’t know exactly the purpose of it for CE. Again, thanks for your clarification.

//LD

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.