Best device for Coreelec in 2022/2023

Of course, but i answered to the question about guaranteed supported devices.

Before asking if any chinese box on the market will run with CoreELEC itā€™s maybe a better idea to first take a look to official CoreELEC supporter devices:

Just be warned if you buy a 20,- device it maybe isnā€™t fully working or doesnā€™t boot at allā€¦

2 Likes

All the answers are in this thread here. You want a CE guaranteed box, buy one of the Amlogic-ng supported SBC for instance Odroid C4.

And donā€™t ask for non Amlogic boxes because they are not supported.

If you read the thread carefully you will find all answers.

But let me repeat myself. Donā€™t buy boxes with onboard wifi, bt or dvb. Donā€™t look at onboard storage. Buy a quality SBC and then use usb modules to install what you really need (wifi, bt, dvb) that is good supported.
Odroids can be used with SD cards or faster pluggable emmc. This makes unbricking very easy. You have our uboot and you are not at the mercy of some vendor. There are couple reports of broken CEC after Android ota updates for tv boxes.

I bought X96 Air 4 / 64GB it goes well but it gets hot and the remote control small. Of those boxes recommended for CoreELEC, which one heats up less?

Odroid N2 or N2+. Nothing better put there if you look at heat.

Thanks for giving those alternatives. I found this, would it be in the direction?

A95X MAX II TV Box (ARM Cortex-A55)

It is one of those complete integrated chinese sets again. But it looks somewhat more robust. Many here advice to start with a single odroid H2 board, and start building from scratch, but I am not alone here, and I need something with an idea of cosmetics as wellā€¦

I doubt it works. Well it might work somehow but not fully yet. I donā€™t think we have a dtb for the sata port. Looks to new. Always wise to search the forums for your box.

You have to spend big to get serious thermal solutions. Then you might as well go for the more reliable SBC N2. None of the cheap boxes have anything more than a tiny slab of steel and a spongy heatpad - useless. Still the X96Air is about the most reliable choice of cheap boxes if you are prepared to do thermal mods. otherwise be prepared to splash about ā‚¬100.00 for a decent player.

Shoog

1 Like

X96 AIR without cap over 65 degree temperature playing TV channels. Mecool K3 Pro SAT / IP with mini 5V fan over 50 degrees temperature. I was thinking of an Amlogic S922X box that could be fitted with a mini fan or heat sink. I prefer CoreELEC without microSD installed on the internal memory.

X96Air, cut a 3inch hole in the bottom and sit it on a 12v fan plugged into one of the USBā€™s, problem solved as this will stay below 50C at almost all times. If you use a whisper fan you will never hear it.

Shoog

1 Like

I use a cheap Tanix TX3 (and also have a X96Air) and the box is working fine and has (so far) no thermal issues. Onboard-WiFi sucks but BT works flawless.

Thanks for this. I didnā€™t know there is so much to consider. How was coreelec born, if there is no standard computer for it? What is the difference there between coreelec and libreelec considered with hardware?

Libreelec abandoned their efforts to support AMLogic hardware in any useful way (in a pursuit of a purist vision that ignores usablility) so Coreelec is the only software that supports AMLogic hardware in a fully useful way. However beyond a limited range of Single Board Computers even Coreelec doesnā€™t guarantee to support all AMLogic devices. It does its best to support those devices it has access to and this is where a thread like this points the way towards the degree of support many of those Android boxes have under Coreelec. Read these threads carefully before making any purchase decisions. You may find that many of the Android boxes do not have all of their hardware features supported under CE.
If you want to use Libreelec you are currently limited to using x86 computers or Raspberry Pi boards.

Shoog

1 Like

Shoog, Very fundamental and enlightening information. Thank you.

Cover art is set to 999 which is maximum definition. Covers look great and thereā€™s no slowdown if the gui which is set to 4K. I use the guilouz estuary mod v2 theme

There is a device with the new A311D.Can this be used with CoreElec?It uses the same processor as Vim3.

Look for the T95Max Plus 4/32 S905X3 this is the best cheaper for me ā€¦ its fast and good device ever for the price ā€¦ you have some other more expensive but nothing spectacular this is a best buy

Hi!

I am looking to replace my Minix U9-H box with a newer one , more future proof.
Would the Odroid N2 or C4 be the best of choices? I am running libreelec today but its very outdated.

Using an OLED LG TV with a reciever and 5.1 sound so passthrough with HD audio would be good as well as HDR Support

Thanks for any help =)

Long-term the C4, performance wise the N2.

Yes + Khadas VIM should be the best in 2021, 2022, 2023 ā€¦