Best device for Coreelec in 2024

I have one (Magenta TV One V2) like this one from my local Telekom provider, and there is no way to install CE on it.
Such boxes, from different Telekom providers, usually are locked and CE cannot be installed on them. If you find any on which CE can be installed, then post here, but without proof that CE can be installed, such posts are irrelevant.

2 Likes

someone confirmed it.itā€™s made by sei robotics which usually do not lock the bootloader.

Mine is also from SEI, and itā€™s locked.
For the price they ask, Iā€™d rather first see the proof that CE can be installed before buying it.

After upgrading my tv to one that supports Dolby vision Iā€™m now looking at upgrading to a coreelec device that also supports itā€¦ Would I notice much of a performance difference between vim 3 pro and homatics box R 4k running solely coreelec and can coreelec be installed to the Emmc on the homatics device?
On paper the vim3 seems to be the superior device spec wise but unfortunately doesnā€™t support Dolby vision so I just want to make sure Iā€™m not going to notice anything significant
Thanks!

Ugoos amb6+ is the one. Vim is no go for dv

Will a 128gb class 10 work with the
Ugoos x4q Extra ?

Wait a week or two, maybe something come up with S928X + FELā€¦

7 Likes

Ugoos SK1?

Minix posted that they have a DV FEL fix for their NEO U8K Ultra coming in October. Depending if that is real, how that fix is implemented (dovi.ko or kernel), it might carry over to CE, and maybe to other s928x boxes, maybe to all of CE-NE DV licensed devices.

In terms of the S905X4 vs the S922X/A311D (Vim3 pro), the speed difference isnā€™t hugely noticeable in CE. The S905X4 has had less development time on CE-NG so there are more bugs, but it does support AV1 HW decoding missing in the S922X/A311D. DV support for the S922X will likely end with CE-NG 21, so the AM6+ is coming to the end of its life with CE (can still use CE-NO, just without DV).

The S905X4 and S928X both have newer DV modules for CE-NE, and therefore will be supported past CE 21.

3 Likes

Ah hope that is realā€¦S928x does not support multi pcm though right?or 3d as well

this is the impression I got as soon as you or another CoreELEC Team mentioned you are working on the S928X , to get all the features it can get.
Iā€™m surprised no one else is jumping to that conclusion and not getting excited.

Something like the AMB6+ would be kind of obsolete then, thatā€™s not able to get updates past kodi 22 for coreelec right? the S928X would be the true successor to the S922X. This Soc would last as long as the S922X, meaning another 6 years good investment (like my trusty old N2+)

plus this can do 4k coreelec interface right.

3d is niche though right? multi pcm is important, would be surprised if CoreELEC Team couldnā€™t get that working if they are working hard to get FEL working.
this will be the next gold standard of CoreELEC

Multi-PCM and HBR audio passthrough does work since last release I think on S928X. 3D will maybe one day, maybe not. Now not as same like FEL doesnā€™t work. Time will tell.

1 Like

Yeah Multi PCM is important to me.I donā€™t have any devices to take advantage of 3d support. Regional movies for me are often in Multi PCM.So I hope thereā€™s something that comes along with it in NE with Fel support someday as well.

So Iā€™m enough with all the problems encountered with the native Plex app on my Smart TV and Iā€™m interested by a device that can run CoreELEC and support :

• All Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray (include AV1)
  • No network issues
  • No 24fps or 25fps issues
  • A really fluid device
    (I donā€™t have a home-cinema so I donā€™t care about Atmos or DTS)
    (Also itā€™s only for running Plex I donā€™t care about Netflixā€¦)

Here is a list of devices Iā€™m considering buying :

• AM6B Plus
  • Homatics Box R 4k Plus
  • Nokia 8010
  • Shield TV Pro

Which one you can recommand the most considering my case?

I would recommend this, since you can load CoreELEC on it and then use the pretty awesome Plex addon PM4K (PM4K / PlexMod for Kodi (18, 19, 20, 21+) - Streaming Devices - Plex Forum) where the developer is very responsive. It doesnā€™t take long to get it up and running.

• AM6B Plus
    • no AV1 HW-decoder, AV1 software decoding works up-to 1080p aka Anime/SD
  • Shield TV Pro
    • has no Dolby Vision FEL playback and still has the infamous ā€œred-pushā€ bug

Overall its boils down to what the guide notes here:

• Homatics is a solid device and well supported, with good Dolby Vision playback
  • AM6B+ only drawback is the lacking AV1 support

The new J928X-J devices will probably supersede both SoC and become the new default, still no dovi FEL atm. Other than that J928X-J looks promising, given how many new devices just came out.

1 Like

I would wait a few weeks and see if FEL support comes to the S928X-J because thereā€™s rumors that it will.

1 Like

You probably had a different Android version when installing it than I did. I also had much fewer problems with the 003P0 version, but unfortunately, I completely messed up my Android while trying to update it.

The current version that Bee-Link is releasing (006R0) causes me many problems, which is why, I wonā€™t use it, and not recommend it.

Does this have Android TV like the Homatics boxes? Iā€™m very interest in this x96 after reading this thread.